TPCi's Dub of 'Mewtwo Strikes Back EVOLUTION' Gets Everything Right!

Dr Fuji and one of the three trainers were voiced by Billy Bob Thompson and Michael Liscio Jr., who are TPCi Actors actually!

In watching this I think about the puns 4Kids was notorious for and are now memorable.

And I miss them.

Like when Team Rocket is watching Ash and co. eat lunch at the beginning. In the original movie, Jessie whips out the frying pan and says she can cook something and Meowth quips back, “Thanks, but the last time you cooked it wiped out eight of my nine lives!”

I know there’s a huge debate between dub edits and staying true to a script, but 4Kids knew how to make Team Rocket bumbling and humorous and excelled at it because they were indeed bumbling but it made you like them and made the scenes memorable.

Given what they had to work with in the franchise’s then infancy, 4Kids did just fine with what they had. Their writers knew how to setup most jokes and puns and they’re still memorable, for better or worse.

ugh the models being the way they are is just off puting pikachu is half soft?

ugh the models being the way they are is just off puting pikachu is half soft?
Pikachu’ s mouth also moves oddly and they couldn’t decide if the gleam in the eyes were pupils or just light hitting his eyes. It’s amusing seeing the inconsistency throughout the movie.

Back