TPCi Seeking Video Auditions for Pokemon Event Commentators [4/4]

Maybe we'll finally get commentators that actually understand what's going on and can explain what's going on in terms that most players understand.

I am so auditioning for this! The chances are lower than that of encountering a wild shiny Pokémon, but hey, why not. Free trip to worlds and a chance to be known by Pokémon fans around the world, hopefully someone who really deserves this honor 'wins' it!

Familiar said:
Who at Pokebeach will apply? Water Pokémon Master?

Haha, I don't even qualify in comparison to many of the competitive players out there. They'd do a much better job than I ever could.

JWittz needs to get on this if he's still in the TCG. He was always pretty cool.

I wish this was open to Australian residents... Man I would give this a damn good crack.

This sounds fun, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. The main issue really would be being knowledgeable enough, so I would need to really get back into the game more and do my research.

Have you guys seen some of the auditions already up on YouTube? Not to sound like a jerk, but lol...

Water Pokémon Master said:
Have you guys seen some of the auditions already up on YouTube? Not to sound like a jerk, but lol...

I've only seen one so far
Lol
I hate to be that guy that says it.... But what I've seen is definitely not worthy.
What'd you look up in YouTube? I could only find one.

Auditions are open to US residents who are at least 18 years old

>:[

This would actually be something I'd love to try doing--obviously the chances of being accepted would be slim to none, but it would still be fun to try. Oh well, maybe they'll do this again some other time.

Edit: Just saw some of the current auditions, they were...errr...not on the level they need to be to commentate at Nationals or Worlds (except for Kenny's, which was perfectly fine). Hoping someone like Pooka gets it.

A lot of people submitting on YouTube don't seem to understand that they need to have a deep understanding of the competitive TCG/VG. That's first and foremost. This isn't about how big of a fan you are or how much you love Pokemon... guess they didn't read the news all the way through...

I have sat through a number of auditions and most of them are okay. I feel too many people aren't giving the auditions a chance because these people aren't "famous". All the top comments on these announcements are "Get Pooka!" "Get JWittz!" "Get Marriland!" You know, the famous people. TPCi isn't looking for someone famous; they're looking for someone who can be entertaining and doesn't say "Dark Spear" every time.

I feel you guys are being just a little harsh on everyone who is trying out. Just my 2c worth.

I don't know man. I just watched one and that was enough for me. So much stuttering, many cliches, such boring-not-into-game-attitude, wow.

Of course, it's not our job to pick. But let's just say if the guy I watched was commentating it'd go to mute immediately.

The point of commentary is to

A. Enhance my knowledge of what exactly is happening--explain various situations and why they are important and why the viewer should care (which thereby makes watching a match a better experience)

B. Make the game more exciting e.g. get hyped for intense situations and overall make the game feel bigger than it would feel if there was no commentary

The current auditions don't do that. A commentator, especially for something like Nationals or Worlds, needs to be passionate about whatever he/she is talking about, and most of the current auditions are monotone voices who merely repeat what the current state of the game is. Think about watching a sport--it would be far less entertaining without announcer, wouldn't it? A Pokémon commentator has to have that same kind of effect on a match.

Back