News TPCi needs your input at a critical point regarding Play! Pokemon AND PTCG?

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
y4mHZdpobtBO-NeDdY6ZNLk2frNpwRP0V1p32KRLXdAael6iqjsv9-EEGbFNA2x_-qQNJSsqOQk79GTneqLvO1GLPovJHtvlm--EX1an25HC37E-GO2GVep4zfVIGTWV3_Ky1pKPlh0wwFy8h-bSr5hOOpvavEpG-hgpau6U30Qul-Exac_aWJOUd0MoNvJ74u8

^ If the above is sent to all of us, maybe TPCi is seeking input before discontinuing Theme format...

In which case, it's time to let them know:

Don't make it harder to obtain future staple Trainer cards, or even replacement Pokemon Vs for the unlucky ones that trade big and blow it by getting a return valued less than what they traded. Also, don't discourage the children by making the online game more pay-to-play, which is a trait that will likely draw the ire of some select states and territories around the world that ban games that require more luck than skill, a problem that comes from TCGs that don't offer a minimum of a starting point for new players, even if it is a weak idea competitive-wise overall, and a result of discontinuing Theme WITHOUT a format update or replacement format!

Feel free to go about introducing a new Theme sub-format called "basic", or any other name that reflects today's changes to the card norms, as long as such changes don't totally mean another Legacy format that has bigger implications online and in states/provinces that aren't kind to games that encourage gambling, especially on a medium that targets children!

^ How does the above survey invite in these circumstances make YOU feel in terms of game state?

^ Air it out, but assuming we're ALL getting emails if we play the TCG at this point in time seeking official input that has future implications on that game's future, don't let THIS opportunity to tell TPCi regarding the future of the TCG, and especially P!P, pass you by!

Last edited:
This really should be a news story. @Water Pokémon Master
You can voice your displeasure at the current state of Standard, you get to rate some of their recent products, you get pitched a bunch of interesting ideas and you're even asked if SPO should be an official format. Oh, and you get to brag that you get your news from PokeBeach. Regardless if this will bring any change, it is huge.

I got this email yesterday and I pointed out the issues that TPCi should deal with (Standard being a pain in the rear thanks to cards like ADP, Expanded being an expensive format with too few bans and no real way to get need-to-run cards outside of third-party sellers, too little stock reaching consumers and too much ending up in the hands of resellers, the TCGO being a horribly-outdated client that needs to either be retooled or retired, etc).

The chances of it actually having any sort of impact is infinitesimally small, but it’s the thought that counts I guess.

aw man... I've barely played since rotation, so there's no way I got this survey... I couldn't care less about the packs, I just wanted to give feedback.

Last edited:
@Shinxed3 Actually, anyone can take this survey. That's why it should be a story - not everyone got the mail, but everyone can participate.
You can find the survey here.
Thanks for linking it for everyone-Like you said, I agree that it should be a story so more people can give an input on it.

I gave the best input I could, especially over making such things as Expanded cards more accessible and all that for players, and some of the common complaints I've seen players have in recent times. Despite being just your average collector who's no expert in the competitive side of things, and even if it doesn't amount to much I am glad that the survey itself exists. I'm also glad that there was a section about satisfaction with TCG products, because that's definitely something I was able to bring up a few things for.

Last edited:
I got this email yesterday and I pointed out the issues that TPCi should deal with (Standard being a pain in the rear thanks to cards like ADP, Expanded being an expensive format with too few bans and no real way to get need-to-run cards outside of third-party sellers, too little stock reaching consumers and too much ending up in the hands of resellers, the TCGO being a horribly-outdated client that needs to either be retooled or retired, etc).

The chances of it actually having any sort of impact is infinitesimally small, but it’s the thought that counts I guess.
Ah man that's right. I completely forgot to voice my discontent with how the PTCGO client works. It's a total clunky train wreck. I can't go back and select the middle of my text if I made a mistake. I have to delete everything after the mistake. There's no way to resize the client window to fit my screen since I hate going full screen. The UI is incredible slow and wastes so much space. The avatars are really bare and don't feel like Pokémon. The whole thing feels like it was designed for toddlers but with so much spaghetti code that it adds several seconds to the response time.

Also, this last one hasn't really been a problem for me, but why on earth does it cost in-game money/points/coins/whatever you want to call it to trade? Isn't that the whole point of a TRADING card game? Why slow it down?

Ah man that's right. I completely forgot to voice my discontent with how the PTCGO client works. It's a total clunky train wreck. I can't go back and select the middle of my text if I made a mistake. I have to delete everything after the mistake. There's no way to resize the client window to fit my screen since I hate going full screen. The UI is incredible slow and wastes so much space. The avatars are really bare and don't feel like Pokémon. The whole thing feels like it was designed for toddlers but with so much spaghetti code that it adds several seconds to the response time.

Also, this last one hasn't really been a problem for me, but why on earth does it cost in-game money/points/coins/whatever you want to call it to trade? Isn't that the whole point of a TRADING card game? Why slow it down?
From what I’ve heard it’s basically due to Dire Wolf Digital, the actual developers behind the Pokémon TCGO, losing the drive to work on and improve the game. The most they’ll do is add new sets, temporarily ban cards that are extremely bugged, patch those bugs, and update the game to be in-line with the Standard and Expanded formats.

As for trades costing coins, that’s due to the sheer amount of spammy and/or predatory trades the TCGO had before the fee was added.

I requested for longer print runs of sets. Though I doubt that will take affect. It's like they WANT to lose money to scalpers.

From what I’ve heard it’s basically due to Dire Wolf Digital, the actual developers behind the Pokémon TCGO, losing the drive to work on and improve the game.

Where did you hear that? A friend of mine works for the company that handles the PTCGO and she’s told me the team is still very enthusiastic about the game.

I don’t know whether the art and/or UI was outsourced or handled internally, and the art/UI is desperately in need of an update, but there are lots of possible reasons why it hasn’t been prioritized (budget, time constraints, team in charge working on other stuff atm, etc). I say all of this as someone who used to work in online games, creating art assets and UI elements. I do hope they update it soon, but I don’t think they’ve lost passion for the game.

Back