Toys R Us 'Pokemon Day' Only for Kids

I was able to pick up a few pairs of the promos, so that was pretty cool.
However, it was disappointing to me that the date and promos for the next giveaway were not announced on the back of the activity booklet like last time. :(
Oh well. Can't wait for the information to be revealed!

Actually, the sale was just for the TCG. The toys were not on sale after being on sale for pretty much the past month. Of course, its the day when they finally had Espurr and Cubone Poke Balls in stock. :mad: (Still got them though.)

Also got the promos along with the Jirachi Box. Got a full art Sylveon out of that! :D

Wow...so I missed the first promo and poster and cards; however, this second one, I went to and was able to get both the Meowth and Clefairy promo cards. Not only that, I obtained a free holographic Pokken Tournament poster from a local Nintendo rep. They also had a drawing for a Jirachi Plush toy.

Downside. I did not want to feel greedy, but there was like half a box of each of the cards leftover :'( I was staring $ in the face. Apparently, they have to destroy all those cards after a certain time.

Attachments

• unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 30
There was no Pokken Tournament poster for us.

So is there supposed to be another one of these a couple months or so down the line?

There was no Pokken Tournament poster for us.

So is there supposed to be another one of these a couple months or so down the line?

Well the reason why was because of our local Nintendo rep being there. I have no idea how these reps come about. He was just handing out random posters that he had an excess of.

Someone had asked that and she had told all of us that it was this website that she heard about these promos from. I actually heard about it through a "mom's" website. Freebie mailer that tells about all free giveaways and coupons. lol

Canada seems to have it best. They get a new promo card every month. From the Nintendo rep, he just said "They did not tell us anything so I would just look out for it."

We have it better than Brazil. They have to actually buy stuff to get the Pikachu card.

I was able to pick up a few pairs of the promos, so that was pretty cool.
However, it was disappointing to me that the date and promos for the next giveaway were not announced on the back of the activity booklet like last time. :(
Oh well. Can't wait for the information to be revealed!

I do not want to get your hopes down; however, I think the reason why is because this was the last one. Why would they advertise in Canada that they get a promo card every month; however, for the U.S., they just give us two dates? I mean maybe there may be more; however, I highly doubt it. They would have just given us what they gave to Canada.

how is magikarp playable??

There is one youtuber by the name of GiritinaTCG, who uploaded a video of what he received from the promos thus far and he mentions that magikarp is still playable if you are trying to evolve it in battle. It is actually better than Pikachu and Clefairy as you would need to get 2 energies before either of them could use a damaging attack. Of course for Magikarp, he only has 30 hp. You would have to hope that Pikachu does not get that heads to deal another 10 damage on top of the 20 for his second move. For Meowth and Magikarp, they just need an energy and a heads. ;)

If we were just fighting with these cards alone, in terms of ranking, it would go Pikachu (because of the paralysis) with Nuzzle and it's 20-30 hp attack, then Clefairy (because it can heal and do up to 20 damage a turn), Magikarp (it would take Pikachu two turns to kill the Magikarp, if the player never got heads on the first attack) and Meowth because it can dish out 30 attack, but it also hurts itself, if tails.

Toys R Us employee here.

Literally not a single person will care if you're a kid or not. Just go and ask, tell 'em you're a collector or something. If someone gives you a hard time, ask for a manager. Managers will bend over backwards to make customers happy, it's ridiculous (granted in this case it's not a big deal whatsoever).

For those of you going, this will be happening in one of two locations:

- Right at the entrance, can't miss it. For events like this there's usually a table set up right at the front door.
- In the back area where the video games are. Same deal, look for a table.

Just be aware, they're typically pretty strict when it comes to limits on how much a single customer can take. Don't get mad, there's gotta be enough for everyone.

For the promo today, the table was in Babies R Us because the Toys R Us is connected to one. I would not have known it was Pokemon related if the line did not grow and yes, it is basically like meal time. Everyone goes through once and if you are still waiting, which I was because they also had a drawing for Jirachi, I just asked for another set. They had two boxes, half filled, with meowth and clefairy cards! I just had to be the ungreedy one and only take seconds. :'( The Nintendo rep said the rest would be destroyed.

Luckily I live in Canada so I won't have to deal with worrying about the limitations. I just hope we get the 151 Poster too...

If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea they were having a promotion for Pokemon until today. I missed out on the 151 poster and the backside where they had every Pokemon game ever played, except for Moon and Sun.

A lot of the kids will probably be disappointed the poster only features the original 151 Pokémon as well.

That was what I was thinking. When I was a kid, I had one of those posters from universal studios that had all 150! Then again, the Pokemon after the 2nd generation became lamer, I thought.

Nope. Usually they should just give it once to each person that asks for it. Other than that - there should be no reason for someone to demand more than 2 at most. I mean I'd go with friends just to ask them to pick some extra up for me for a playset but other than that.... I'm just happy with the one that I got.

If you wait and then ask, they may. I was able to get two sets of Meowth and Clefairy. Two half filled boxes of those cards are going to get destroyed because I did not want to be too greedy over wanting more.

What kind of holo pattern do these promos have?

Oh dear, looks like I'm going to have to spend more gas money on common cards. No matter, I usually pick up a bunch of packs when I'm there anyway, should be fun for a Saturday :)

Odd thing I encountered when I was picking up my Magikarp promo: The holo pattern for the three I picked out were unique. Generally they resemble bubbles but they didn't seem to be exactly alike. I scanned the rest on the table and from what I could see, it was like that for all of them?

Curious.

Straight holo on the Meowth and same with the Clefairy, with the stars around Clefairy sparkling yellow.

That would be a good sale, if they actually had the Jirachi figure and plush for sale....

They had a drawing for that today

Last edited:
Went today, they had a random table with the boxes unattended, I was able to get Meowth, Clefairy and Magikarp, the other box was empty so not sure what that was. I think there was a Pikachu one. I know a lot of people were probably picking up handfuls of each, so not surprised.

This mixed with the poorly thought out decision to make the plushes and figures toys r us exclusive, then to make them extremely limited, like 4 per store. I mean we have 1 Toys R Us location here and they got 4 Jirachi plushes? Did Pokémon only produce 500 of each plush and number them as well? What's the point of making them in the first place, but not mentioning they are extremely limited? Also no sign of the Jirachi figures, they had and still have the Celebi figures so I assume they either haven't received them(Can confirm they received the four plushes, they were gone as soon as they put them out, whenever that was), or they got a small amount of them and sold out as soon as they were put out. Which is unlikely since they got maybe 30 of the Celebi figures. Hopefully the first is true since only releasing 4 or 5 of the figures to about 1 million people is kind of inexcusable.

This mixed with the poorly thought out decision to make the plushes and figures toys r us exclusive, then to make them extremely limited, like 4 per store. I mean we have 1 Toys R Us location here and they got 4 Jirachi plushes? Did Pokémon only produce 500 of each plush and number them as well? What's the point of making them in the first place, but not mentioning they are extremely limited? Also no sign of the Jirachi figures, they had and still have the Celebi figures so I assume they either haven't received them(Can confirm they received the four plushes, they were gone as soon as they put them out, whenever that was), or they got a small amount of them and sold out as soon as they were put out. Which is unlikely since they got maybe 30 of the Celebi figures. Hopefully the first is true since only releasing 4 or 5 of the figures to about 1 million people is kind of inexcusable.

Trust me, it was even worse with the Mew plush at GameStop. Each store only got 2 or 3 at most, and that was a week before they gave out the Mew serial codes! I can only imagine how much of a Nightmare getting the Darkrai plush will be (pun intended), and even more horrifying with Arceus.

Also, I didn't see the Jirachi figure either. At least they're more lenient with supply for the figures.

Mines was also giving out a double sided poster with Zelda Triforce Heroes/Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon.

Went today, they had a random table with the boxes unattended, I was able to get Meowth, Clefairy and Magikarp, the other box was empty so not sure what that was. I think there was a Pikachu one. I know a lot of people were probably picking up handfuls of each, so not surprised.

Well, it is Pokemon. I mean, with the cards, there were only so many Charizards, back in the day. I guess Pokemon caught on when they saw people selling their products on Ebay and Amazon, that they would just be limited enough to really make them collector's items. Not only that but maybe one is suppose to trade with those as well? The whole point of Pokemon seems to be,"If you do not have it, trade for it". How can one "Catch 'em all" when there is limited quantities?

I wonder if that Pikachu card was really what it was cracked up to be. Did not really look that great; however, yesterday, there was like 75 people there. I asked the Nintendo rep and overheard that that first promo day on Feb 27th, there were like triple that. Those posters and Pikachu card must have really carried come value.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or every time I see a 20 year old with these Toy R Us Promo cards, I get creeped out!

Trust me, it was even worse with the Mew plush at GameStop. Each store only got 2 or 3 at most, and that was a week before they gave out the Mew serial codes! I can only imagine how much of a Nightmare getting the Darkrai plush will be (pun intended), and even more horrifying with Arceus.

Also, I didn't see the Jirachi figure either. At least they're more lenient with supply for the figures.
I thought you might want to preorder the darkrai plush.
http://m.gamestop.com/product/collectibles/toys/darkrai-plush-in-a-bag/126999

Is it just me, or every time I see a 20 year old with these Toy R Us Promo cards, I get creeped out!

Was it creepy that I saw a 40+ man ask me if I was at the back of the line and then stand behind me to join in the promo as well?

You will notice that Pokemon fans come in all ages and being that the promo was 20th anniversary, it is actually for all the fans around the time that it had actually come out (I am guessing 1996?) I was actually born 6 years prior. We are indebted to celebrating the promotion, not our fault and it is not like these cards were of the new generations of Pokemon, they were of all the Pokemon in the first generation, my generation. Even more so , people show up at these events to get the cards and sell for $. That is a grown up thing to do. Nothing wrong by making a business of it.

So you see, there is more to Pokemon than age.

Last edited:
Was it creepy that I saw a 40+ man ask me if I was at the back of the line and then stand behind me to join in the promo as well?

You will notice that Pokemon fans come in all ages and being that the promo was 20th anniversary, it is actually for all the fans around the time that it had actually come out (I am guessing 1996?) I was actually born 6 years prior. We are indebted to celebrating the promotion, not our fault and it is not like these cards were of the new generations of Pokemon, they were of all the Pokemon in the first generation, my generation. Even more so , people show up at these events to get the cards and sell for $. That is a grown up thing to do. Nothing wrong by making a business of it.

So you see, there is more to Pokemon than age.

Oh I 100% agree, the age in pokemon does not matter, I will not stop liking pokemon just because I grow old, It is just sucky that they handout awesome promos for kids, when older people want to collect them, and what I mean by my reply was "how did they get them" type of thing XD

Oh I 100% agree, the age in pokemon does not matter, I will not stop liking pokemon just because I grow old, It is just sucky that they handout awesome promos for kids, when older people want to collect them, and what I mean by my reply was "how did they get them" type of thing XD
Oh trust me. I felt very out of place even though no one knows me in the city (Lexington, KY) and I felt like I was going to be laughed at because I wanted to experience childhood nostalgia. Nope. Since the 40 year old guy had asked and stood behind me to the Nintendo rep being there and liking Nintendo games; I felt very much at home.

I love Pokemon; however, it does feel a bit odd.

Back