Toys R Us Piplup Promo Giveaway Next Saturday!

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
last time they refused me everything but the card... no figure, pokeball, poster, even though they had some of everything. tried telling me its only for kids... i was like. ive done this every time, and its all ages...
We're good this time. Specifically stated on the event page in tiny type at the bottom of the event listing:

"*Includes select outlet locations. Excludes Express locations. Event open to kids ages 6-up and adult collectors."

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
We're good this time. Specifically stated on the event page in tiny type at the bottom of the event listing:

"*Includes select outlet locations. Excludes Express locations. Event open to kids ages 6-up and adult collectors."
in hindsight, i think the lady was just confused, thinking the megabloks pokeball thing was a build a whatever event, which are normally age capped... she gave me the card but didnt let me have the togedemaru figure, which they were not out of... she probably thought the figure went with the pokeball and not the card.

Number51x

Sounds likely. Was the Pokeball part as big a cluster as ours was? They had people hand picking the parts except for a small pack. SHOCKINGLY, they ran out of some of the parts! This event is going to be sooo much simpler. I like these better. Get some cards, color a bit, trade. Easy!

PandaPokemon

Aspiring Trainer
I mean, it's not 20 minutes for everybody. I live a three-minute walk away from a TRU. Also, I like the free cards. :)

Yeah, because u live right next to it. Its just a holo. But I guess it's free, sure. As I said, I would rather spend 25 bucks and get a Dusk Mane full art and Xuritree and be in a tournament. It's an hour and a half of play. But the holo Piplup event is a waste of gas for most of us, and u spend 5 minutes to get a friggin HOLO. Why? Why?

Number51x

Yeah, because u live right next to it. Its just a holo. But I guess it's free, sure. As I said, I would rather spend 25 bucks and get a Dusk Mane full art and Xuritree and be in a tournament. It's an hour and a half of play. But the holo Piplup event is a waste of gas for most of us, and u spend 5 minutes to get a friggin HOLO. Why? Why?

Because collecting.

And it's a trade event where the people trading tend to be less greedy. Trading at pre-release was like being on the floor of a stock exchange. It was ridiculous. These TRU events are MUCH more chill.

Speaking of pre-release, I don't know how it is in other places, but in San Diego, the two events are hardly mutually exclusive. Pretty easy to do both.

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
for me, it would only come down to free TRU promo vs $25 Prerelease promo (with extra cards). i usually go with TRU, cause i normally buy a booster box from my local store, and dont care about early sales or tournaments.

Reshiramtrainer100

Aspiring Trainer
This is complete waste of time. Drive for 20 minuets to go and get a holo Piplup? The prerelease is a way better deal. Sure 25 dollars, but I pulled a Xuritree Full art and Dusk Mane full art out of my prerealese box.
I personally love the cards and this is also a trading event as well as a release event and people also like trading and hanging out.

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
yay had better luck than last time... got piplup and the poster. the promos werent in the normal plastic wrap this time. didnt these events use to be 1-3 instead of noon-2?

Number51x

It's not your imagination; it used to be 1-3.

My family of three managed 3 play sets (glad I brought some sleeves)! We went to two TRU; one was really dead and SUPER strict on the 1 per guest card policy. My son and I pulled a full on Team Rocket caper (I was wearing an "R" shirt where the R was formed out of the Team Rocket motto) to get one more card for the first play set. We left for a few minutes, then came back and had just my son go in with my R shirt on (in disguise; so very Team Rocket) and caught that last Pokemon!

The other TRU was much more relaxed, had someone running the event that (!) liked Pokemon. He knew a lot about it and best of all, as part of the stores promo kit for running the event, they had a couple of binders of cards from the new set to trade! All in all a pretty entertaining day.

PandaPokemon

Aspiring Trainer
It's not your imagination; it used to be 1-3.

My family of three managed 3 play sets (glad I brought some sleeves)! We went to two TRU; one was really dead and SUPER strict on the 1 per guest card policy. My son and I pulled a full on Team Rocket caper (I was wearing an "R" shirt where the R was formed out of the Team Rocket motto) to get one more card for the first play set. We left for a few minutes, then came back and had just my son go in with my R shirt on (in disguise; so very Team Rocket) and caught that last Pokemon!

The other TRU was much more relaxed, had someone running the event that (!) liked Pokemon. He knew a lot about it and best of all, as part of the stores promo kit for running the event, they had a couple of binders of cards from the new set to trade! All in all a pretty entertaining day.

Wow, that’s nice. Wish every experience went like that for me!

Number51x

Number51x uses Necromancy...

Whelp, I guess this was the last Toys R Us promo ever. Do we suppose this event will just change locations (Target???) or just die all together?

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Number51x uses Necromancy...

Whelp, I guess this was the last Toys R Us promo ever. Do we suppose this event will just change locations (Target???) or just die all together?

TRU had a lot of clout that made having exclusives with them a nice marketing routine. It made sense to do these at a toy store because it was a toy store, not just some general retail or big box store. Having a card say 'Target' or 'Wal-Mart' would seem so low class compared to Toys R Us. Bad branding, too. What do you do when you go into Wal-Mart? Are you having fun? I hope not! I do miss those days long ago when we all waited in line to play Street Fighter on the SNES tho.

Number51x

There is a Target exclusive promo (non-holo Pikachu) for Sun and Moon so it's not without precedent. It doesn't say Target on it though. I wanna say there's a Magikarp too.