RMT [Tournament] Tailed Beast Bomb

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
In the months since my last team I found my self more often than not stuck in a cycle of trying to get out of the rut I was in spiraling back to stall teams and focusing on defensive synergy more than offensive when building new teams. For two months my teams always ended up nearly identical to the one in my last RMT, so I took a break to refresh before attempting this one. As such this might be a little out of the loop, but with less than a week until release day left, I might as well post it not to find any major things I may have missed.

Please not this will be most likely be used in a local tournament at the release of OR/AS and I'm not certain how many others will actually know the first thing about competitive battling AS such I tried planning for both OU as well as many 'abnormally typed' pokemon not commonly seen in OU that could through sheer luck void a strategy designed assuming solely 'normal' OU-viable pokemon will be used.

Welp One Piece and DBZ got their turns in previous RMTs so in celebration of it finally ending, it's Naruto's turn. Without further ado, the team:

Tailed Beast Bomb
pinsir-mega.gif
kyurem-black.gif
greninja.gif
jolteon.gif
skarmory.gif
togekiss.gif
New+Picture+%284%29.bmp

Kabuto (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite

pinsir-mega.gif

Trait: Mold Breaker -> Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

To start off, I have a relatively standard M. Pinsir as an idea borrowed from an RMT on the site earlier that has inexplicably been moved/removed. it generally pairs well with Kyrem-B as both can take out each others checks and counters. Swords Dance is usually used on the first turn whenever Pinsir comes out, primarily because he forces switches often. Frustration screws over Ditto who usually have above-0 happiness and provides a harder hitting alternative to Quick Attack when priority is not needed (M. Pinsir IS base 110 speed, after all) with Aerilate changing both to a STAB flying and increasing their power. Earthquake rounds out the coverage, leaving only a few things that Pinsir can't deal with (most notably Skarmory and Rotom-W).

Kurama (Kyurem-B) @ Leftovers

kyurem-black.gif

Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

'Kyu-B' behind a substitute is a truly fearsome thing. When properly played (Kyurem can cause switches, thus getting a free sub), whatever you send out against the behemoth behind the plushie will in all likelihood die just trying to cripple the monster, if not just remove the sub. Kyurem's main function here is to remove most of Pinsir's counters as well as cleaning up a few threats the rest of the team cant real with as well. Fusion Bolt lets it clean up many Flying and Water typed foes and completes the Bolt-beam coverage with Ice Beam, albeit as one physical and one special move. Earth Power proves a nice little surprise for things like Heatran, Rotom (most people seem to forget their Levitate can't save them against Kyu-B), and even the likes of the occasional Gengar. I personally don't throw out Kyurem until I know he'll be effective, but that'll probably only be until I'm more accustomed to using him (I avoided him most of gen 5 because [1] the prevalence of fighting types and [2] I expected Kyurem-B to join his sibling forms in BL or Ubers at any moment)

Narutoad (Greninja) @ Life Orb

greninja.gif

Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

The staple of OU and one of the trickiest Pokemon to counter with a Super Effective attack without spot-on prediction (and a little luck). I actually deviated from some of the 'standard' sets that run U-turn or Extrasensory in favor of more reliable coverage. To be honest, this set boils down to "Choose the appropriate move and watch stuff die" in most cases. Special walls (like Chancey/Blissey, and to some extent lolFlorges and Sylveon) give it trouble, but Kyurem and Pinsir are more than enough to deal with them (or get a free SD/sub as they switch out)

Minato (Jolteon) @ Choice Scarf

jolteon.gif

Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

This is a bit of a personal niche set. After countless frustrations in the past trying to stop something like a +1 DDmence or DDnite and not being fast enough with Timid Specs Jolteon's HP Ice, I tried Modest Scarf and it worked wonders. This set only misses a few non-critical OHKOs and lets me better counter boosting sweepers (without needing lolDitto). I previously ran Signal Beam over Shadow Ball, but now that Dark is even less common (at least dark that would be vulnerable to Bug moves, much less Fairy) and Shadow ball hits almost everything now for neutral damage, I found it to be a great choice as safe-option coverage. HP Ice, of course, hiots tons of threats hard and fills out Bolt-Beam with VS/Tbolt. As with almost all choiced Jolteon, VS and TBolt are used dependiong if I can afford to stay in and need the STAB electric (Tbolt) or if I want to act more as a scout and rack up some damage in the process (VS). An interesting thing about this scarf set is that, as a revenge killer/late-game cleaner/scout/electric nerf, it rarely takes damage aside from hazards (unless it missed the KO, of course)

Killer Bee (Skarmory) @ Leftovers

skarmory.gif

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock

Having both SR and Defog on the same set allows me to clear all hazards, then optionally reset my own or counter the opponent's hazard setter (if theirs is even still alive). Brave Bird obviously is to allow me to wait out taunt if need be, but doesn't see much use unless a foe is almost dead due to SR (and allows me to last-stand with Skarmory when 1-1 with an opponent). Since this team lacks a Wish passer like many of my past teams, I opted for Roost over Whirlwind to let Skarmory act as more of a wall and, obviously, to recover for Sturdy to work after prior damage (also being able to neutralize the effectiveness on some slower electric moves, like a Volt Switch from a Forretress, is nice). This mon is actually my lead fairly often as the rest of the team is primarily offensive and benefits most from SR breaking sashes and Sturdy.

Shikamaru (Togekiss) @ Leftovers

togekiss.gif

Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost

I've used this on other teams (including in another RMT), but here's the info again. It's main function here is Twave support with a side of Paraflinch and to deal with many steels types that would annoy the others on the team.

This is possibly the most effective Togekiss I have ever used. Not only does it lure and KO (usually OHKO) practically every OU tier steel type (bar Heatran), but it can also survive a Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch
Damage calcs said:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 248-294 (66.3 - 78.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
while:
4 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 444-524 (129 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This set was based off the Gen 5 UU Nasty Plot set's EVs, but with a para-flinch moveset updated for the common Steel threats that normally switch in on it in gen 6. Fire Blast is necessary to ensure the OHKO on standard Ferrothorn and some specially defensive Mega Scizor. Now that Aegislash is banned even less stands in Togekiss' way; as such, the only real threats (aside from mons that have already set up/that I would be forced to switch into) are Electric, Ground (defensive threat only, unless faster like Garchomp with DD and a SE coverage move), and bulky Poison types, almost all of which another ally can counter with minimal inconvenience. Roost allows me to successfully ward off Megazard X and Talonflame (who dies to recoil if not KO'd via para-hax while forced to spam roost on non-choiced sets)

Known Threats

I've mainly been testing this in wifi battles and I haven't noticed many things I need to play around or that really hard counter the team yet (except fro the obligatory Darkrai nubtards spamming Dark Void, etc. Most other legendaries/Ubers I've faced die to Greninja and/or Jolteon anyway and don't really pose a major threat). The main reason for this - as opposed to testing primarily on simulators - is that I know there will be a mix of pokemon in the tournament this is for (not many truly competitive players live around my area it seems. I'm prepared for them, too, but it's the 'surprise' newb sets/low tier pokemon that can occasionally crop up and ruin/completely nullify a strategy).

If you can think of anything at all that might throw a wrench in this team, feel free to mention it. Even if it's not really a threat, it'll help me plan what to do in case it does appear.

Pinsir (M) @ Pinsirite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost

It seems kinda odd to me that you have both Defog and SR on Skarm, might be a little counter-productive because you will often be defogging for your team thats half weak to rock. Also you might want HP Fire on greninja, I've found it helpful. Your only other fire coverage on a pokemon weak to steel and doesn't have STAB.

I notice you didn't pay much heed to my set summaries. Defog and SR are both on Skarmory to (1) eliminate the extra team slot needed to carry both on separate mons and (2) allows me to quickly clear the field and reset my own hazards or switch to trap/KO the foe's hazards setter and spinner/defogger. Counter-intuitive at first glance, yes; ineffective, no. It's not like I'm going to sit there and waste multiple turns in a hazard-defog war with my foe.

As for Steel type threats, Togekiss is incredibly reliable at luring AND KOING them early on. True, it is weak to them, but the set is engineered to lure them and survive a hit when need be (and it can recover after the KO most of the time).

As for fire coverage how HP Fire aplies to Greninja in particular, Dark Pulse helps much more from my experience(and is resisted bu much less too). Without it, I have zero chance of beating Rotom-W, while Dark Pulse not only gives me a handy flinch chance, but also lets me 2HKO most Rotom (Rotom is the only water type Grass Knot doesn't hit harder and HP Grass does the roughly the same damage to Rotom-W as Dark Pulse, minus the 20% flinch chance). Both moves leave roughly 18 pokemon that see regular use in OU, however Dark pulse hits harder as neutral damage and is only resisted by 3 types, two of which (dark and Fighting) seeing far less use as they are weak to Fairy as well (and we all know just how annoying Fairy has become, especially to the likes of Scrafty and Hydreigon, and why many become paranoid about it), while HP Fire is resisted by 4 types, 3 of which see tons of usage, and only really helps me hit steels. Bar Scizor (who Greninja will avoid anyway) and Skarmory (who dies to Hydro Pump anyway), the other 'common' pokemon HP fire lets me hit are far less used than the pokemon Dark Pulse lets me cleanly discard (Rotom, Gengar, Alakazam, Gothitelle, M. Banette). not to mention HP Fire's semi redundant coverage on Grass with Ice Beam. Lastly, Dark Pulse also gives a solid response to the likes of Tormentran (gen 4 threat, I know, but it's formidable in X/Y as well. Trust me I've used it myself to devastating effect), who would otherwise wall Greninja after Torment and properly protecting/stalling out Hydro Pump. Dark Pulse lets me 2HKO from full HP. I would certainly run HP Fire, however, were I running a U-turn set since many threats I intend to deal with using this Greninja woud just be U-turned on and countered another way, so thank you for bringing that up.

Back