Event Tournament Analysis: Portland, OR

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey Pokebeachers! We've just ended with Charlotte Regionals and are now moving on to the results of another Regional in Portland, OR where we'll be documenting the reign of a new monarch; Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX. Due to some spectacular wins in Charlotte, NC and four Top 8 placements, Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX has overthrown Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX as the new emperor of the format. Was Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX able to retain its title, has Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX made a comeback, or is there a new competitor to watch out for? These are just some of the things that we'll be going over in today's article, so stay tuned to find out what happens!

Metagame Preceding Portland---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just recently, Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX has taken 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 8th at Charlotte's, NC Regional and dethroned Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX as the new most-popular deck. The ability to drag up your opponent's most vulnerable Pokémon with Lycanroc GX and take them out with Buzzwole GX exploits your opponent's weaknesses, whether it's a draw supporter, attacker, or just a low HP Pokémon to take your last prize; devastating to decks that take time to set up. Not to mention that the deck hits for weakness on one of the most popular attacker/draw supporters; Zoroark GX.

A lot of people have teched against Buzzwole GX variants with Mew EX, but now the Buzzwole GX players have found a counter to their own weakness, Oricorio (#56) from GRI (or some prefer Mew from FCO). This raw power and potential blew away all competitors and had a lot of hype going into Portland. Hoping to reclaim its throne was Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX with Zoroark GX/Gardevoir GX, VikaBulu, and the new Zoroark GX/Lucario GX right behind them.

Now that we've taken a look at the metagmae before the event, let's see what actually occurred at Portland!

Master's Division Top 8------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Top 8 of Portland's Regional (brought to you by PokeStats.com)!

1st. Xander Pero: Espeon-GX/Garbodor
2nd. Colter Decker: Espeon-GX/Garbodor
3rd. Alex Hill: VikaBulu
4th. Jake Morgan: Zoroark-GX/Lucario-GX
5th. Ricky Gao: Buzzwole-GX/Lycanroc-GX
6th. Simon Narode: Sylveon-GX
7th. Hunter Butler: Quad Hoopa
8th. Caleb Gedemer: Buzzwole-GX/Lycanroc-GX

Xander Pero's List-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Fun Fact: Xander Pero (1st place) and Colter Decker (2nd place) worked on their Espeon GX/Garbodor list together the night before Portland and played the same 60 cards against each other in the final round)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Drampa-GX GRI 142
* 2 Eevee SUM 101
* 1 Tauros-GX SUM 144
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 4 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Espeon-GX SUM 140
* 2 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 N DEX 96
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 11

* 7 Psychic Energy 5
* 4 Double Colorless Energy HS 103

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Revival of a Former Emperor----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As predicted, we have seen an immediate response to Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX's victory in Charlotte through Espeon GX/Garbodor, a deck that hasn't made Top 8 in a Regional since Vancouver on Oct. 17 (even then it was more focused on Drampa GX then Espeon GX). When first released, Garbodor dominated the format, winning 3rd at Worlds (2016-2017, ironically by Xander Pero who has won this Regional with the same deck) and 1st in Indianapolis' International (2016-2017, by Tord Reklev). Once rotation occurred (into BKT and on), Garbodor variants pretty much feel off the map in popularity due to the lost of staple Item cards (like VS Seeker) that it took advantage of. Not to mention that players learned how to combat Garbodor with less Items in their lists and the rise of Zoroark GX, a 210 HP, [P] resistant Pokémon that replaced Items (like Trainers' Mail) as draw support. Since Garbodor hasn't been seeing a lot of play, the Item counts in decks have slowly gone up and Fighting types have gained popularity (due to their advantage over Zoroark GX). This buildup of potential for Garbodor is what eventually led to its victory in Portland, OR and its reinstatement as a top contender.

One other perk on Espeon GX/Garbodor's path to victory was the recent legality of a new card, Lucario GX. Being Fighting type gave it the advantage over Zoroark GX variants, but the added drawback of Psychic weakness which promoted Garbodor even more. Being a new card also means that players were eager to test Lucario GX to get an idea of its potential, which unfortunately was at an inopportune time. Even with this downside, nine Lucario GX variants were able to make Top 32 while only one (Zoroark GX/Lucario GX) made Top 8. This is still an impressive feat from Lucario GX and I expect to see more of it, whether it is paired with Zoroark GX, Lycanroc GX, or Buzzwole GX.

Espeon GX/Garbodor wasn't the only deck that made Top 8 though, Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX managed to make 2 placements in Top 8 at 5th (Ricky Gao) and 8th (Caleb Gedemer) position alongside VikaBulu in 3rd (Alex Hill), the new Zoroark GX/Lucario GX deck in 4th (Jake Morgan), Sylveon GX in 6th (Simon Narode), and Quad Hoopa in 7th (Hunter Butler).

Top 8 Decks----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A deck that has been slowly gaining more and more popularity is VikaBulu, taking 3rd place at Portland Regionals to boost itself even more. The raw power and potential to hit 210 by turn two is extraordinary, the hard part is consistently getting this set up. We've been seeing new variants attempting to find the best way to accomplish this and one that has been very successful is "KicaBulu", created by Peter "Kica". This intriguing version of VikaBulu doesn't play Brigette and focuses more on giving you resources to work with by turn 2. As long as you have two Grubbin in play by turn 1 (through cards like Nest Ball), you should be good to go! Searching for Lillie instead of Brigette gives you a higher chance of drawing into turn 2 Rare Candy/Vikavolt, which is really all this deck needs to get going. Add a Choice Band and practically anything is within range of a K.O!

As mentioned above, Zoroark GX/Lucario GX had its debut in Portland Regionals and took nine spots out of Top 32. Many players found different ways to play Lucario GX, some favoring Lycanroc GX, Buzzwole GX, or Zoroark GX. The Zoroark GX variant focuses more on drawing into half your deck and giving yourself the most outs to any situation, whether it is an Super Scoop Up, an energy, or Guzma for game. The Buzzwole GX's variant uses Jet Punch to reduce the HP of two of your opponent's Pokémon per turn (by hitting the active and one benched Pokémon), bringing most within range of Lucario GX (further powered by Strong Energy and Regirock EX). The last variant features Lycanroc GX which drags up your opponent's most vulnerable Pokémon for Lucario GX to take out. If you need two prizes for game, it is just a Choice Band, Strong Energy, and a Bloodthirsty Eyes away!

As more players focus on digging through their deck for resources at an astronomical rate (like Zoroark GX), Sylveon GX players have begun to benefit from this aspect as well. Due to its 200 HP and [D] resistance, it is almost impossible for Zoroark GX players to OHKO Sylveon GX, further frustrating them with cards like Max Potion and Acerola. Magical Ribbon (Sylveon GX's first attack) allows you to search your deck for any three cards, giving you the opportunity to prepare for next turn. As long as you can outsmart your opponent and pressure their energy supply, you should be good to go!

The last deck is another interesting one, using Hoopa (SHL) as the main attacker. The unique ability Scoundrel Guard prevents all effects of attacks (including damage) done to Hoopa by your opponent's EX or GX Pokémon. Since most attackers in this meta are based around EXs and GXs, Hoopa suppresses your opponent's attacks and forces your opponent to work outside the box. Cards like Max Elixir accelerate Energy onto Hoopa while Fighting Fury Belt preserves them for another turn, giving you more time to harass your opponent. Unless your opponent has a non-EX/GX attacker to work with, they should be in a world of trouble if they face off against Quad Hoopa!

The Road Ahead----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Espeon GX/Garbodor has gotten its turn in the format triangle (between Zoroark GX, Buzzwole GX, and Garbodor), I expect Zoroark GX variants such as Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX to make a comeback. Other options include VikaBulu (which does well against all three in the format triangle), Mill Decks, and perhaps Turbo Fire. As long as you have good matchups against Zoroark GX variants and Garbodor variants, you should do well in tournaments until the next format shift.

In regards to the future, things should begin to settle down now that the action-packed month has ended until the next (Standard) Regional in Toronto, Ontario. In the mean time, expect Garbodor variants to be popular for a couple of weeks and then Zoroark GX variants to take a stand with other meta decks in between. Also, keep an eye on how the format will shift when the new Pokémon TCG: Sun & Moon—Forbidden Light set is released, especially Zygarde GX (which is only weak to VikaBulu at the moment) as Zoroark GX variants become popular once more.

Conclusion-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we step back from the exciting series of Regionals, we can see the format take leaps and bounds in the epic struggle between Zoroark GX, Buzzwole GX, and Garbodor. Is there another deck that can take the stand, or will the top contenders hold onto their rank as heads of the format? Check back next week for answers to these questions and more here in the Pokebeach forums! Also check out my Article Homepage for articles on past tournaments and decks.

Until next time!
~FrostBiter12

Nice article-I don't have to pay to read it. Random question, how much CP are you at? You do have your invite or are at least close to it, right?

Nice article-I don't have to pay to read it. Random question, how much CP are you at? You do have your invite or are at least close to it, right?

Thanks, glad that you enjoyed it! At the moment, I have 254 CP and have USA Internationals and Virginia Regionals on my schedule (I have my CP count listed in my signature below if you want to keep track of it). I also have at least 3 League Cups a season to go to, so that is where I get the majority of my points. I haven't been doing to well recently, but I have high hopes that I will do better. I should be able to make up the missing points at these tournaments, so I'll let you know if I get my invite. Wish me luck!

Nice article. I'd say you're one of the best unofficial article writers out there.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm going to be trying something new in my next Tournament Analysis article that I believe will be a big improvement: suggesting a deck list based upon the information that I talk about in the article. I think that is something the articles have been missing. Once again, thanks for the compliment, let me know if you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions!

Back