Discussion Too Old for Pokemon TCG?

tiffuts

Porygon Enthusiast
Hello fellow Pokemon lovers,

I'm a new forum member and was just curious, am I too old(28) to get into the TCG?

I've always been a fan of all things Pokemon since I was a kid but I've recently started getting back into it. I've been playing the Online TCG and it was been fun but now I'm thinking of investing in some cards and getting in some real play. I was just curious what the community is like at my age and if I should give it a shot. I'm thinking of definitely getting in it competitively to.

Thanks for the input!

Lol. I significantly eclipse you in terms of age, and can tell you you have nothing at all to worry about :). If you're not comfortable with kids, you may have a time of it, as at least with our leagues, we have a high kid quotient, but it's not outlandish at all for someone of your vintage to participate.

More than half of the people who play this game are fellow neckbeards. It varies local to local but usually it's like 25% kids, 25% teens, 30-40% 20 somethings and the rest are kids' parents. The obnoxious little kids don't usually play for long either, most of our regular 9 or 10 year olds are pretty well mannered (actually more enjoyable to play with than some of our resident neckbeards).

Most kids who are into cards are just collecting, prereleases are definitely more kid heavy.

Lol. I significantly eclipse you in terms of age, and can tell you you have nothing at all to worry about :). If you're not comfortable with kids, you may have a time of it, as at least with our leagues, we have a high kid quotient, but it's not outlandish at all for someone of your vintage to participate.

Definitely go for it. I'm 44 and have only just started playing. My son started playing last year, and I learnt the rules by playing online so that I could help him. Roll on 6 months of helping him with his deck, plus taking him to league, pre-releases, and competitions, I figured I may as well join in. Am I going to win worlds? Of course not. Am I having fun? Yes. Plus its a great thing my lad and I get to do together.

Hello fellow Pokemon lovers,

I'm a new forum member and was just curious, am I too old(28) to get into the TCG?

I've always been a fan of all things Pokemon since I was a kid but I've recently started getting back into it. I've been playing the Online TCG and it was been fun but now I'm thinking of investing in some cards and getting in some real play. I was just curious what the community is like at my age and if I should give it a shot. I'm thinking of definitely getting in it competitively to.

Thanks for the input!

You're good. I just turned 29 yesterday, we have guys at or local league much older than I am.

Hey thanks for all the helpful insight. I definitely don't mind dealing with younger players. One of the other reasons I'm tempted to get back I it it is because I just started working in a shop that sells Pokémon everything so I'm pretty much already immersed in that environment. Guess I gotta decide best how to spend my money on cards. I was thinking of just buying a theme deck to start and then some boosters and get out there and start playing.

Hey thanks for all the helpful insight. I definitely don't mind dealing with younger players. One of the other reasons I'm tempted to get back I it it is because I just started working in a shop that sells Pokémon everything so I'm pretty much already immersed in that environment. Guess I gotta decide best how to spend my money on cards. I was thinking of just buying a theme deck to start and then some boosters and get out there and start playing.

Nice. It depends on how you want to play and how competitive your local league is. Do you want to be competitive? Or casual? Is your league full of really good players or mostly kids? Those kinds of questions will help you figure out how much to spend and what to spend it on.

My league here in Memphis has some very good players that have been to worlds and placed really high in regionals before and I play to win. So I spent a fair bit on being competitive.

Nice. It depends on how you want to play and how competitive your local league is. Do you want to be competitive? Or casual? Is your league full of really good players or mostly kids? Those kinds of questions will help you figure out how much to spend and what to spend it on.

My league here in Memphis has some very good players that have been to worlds and placed really high in regionals before and I play to win. So I spent a fair bit on being competitive.

I definitely want to try and compete seriously and I've been familiarizing myself with the current Meta. Not sure what the competition is like in my area, So-Cal, but I imagine it is going to be pretty serious given the density of the locale.

I've got an AARP card, and I play...

So... No, you are not too old to start playing PTCG

@Dooley Noted This seriously made me LOL. :D

@tiffuts I'll be 28 in November, and as everyone has said, you're good. If anything, I think now is one of the best times to get into the game. Especially at our age considering all the nostalgia Pokemon is pumping out. They are definitely targeting adults.

Then you have the competitive side which I believe has grown tremendously in the last 3-4 yrs. We're seeing more and more adults entering the scene every year, and I think an obvious sign of this would be the cash option added to the tournament winnings. This alone will continue to draw in more players as the winnings are no joke.

Main thing is enjoy it, and at 28 you'll have the option to take things as serious or relaxed as you want. Assuming you're financially independent, you could attend leagues, regionals, internationals, whatever you want. Unlike our more youthful players who often have to rely on family support. Pokemon is now a MAN's (and woman's) game!

The only "too old" for Pokémon is dead, which is for, uh, obvious reasons. My dad is 41 and I just recently got my grandfather into it, and he's a good deal older than him of course. Don't worry about your age, just go play and have fun! :D

Go for it its fun as long as you think its fun. What I like about Pokemon is that ideally you play in your Masters division and then things do not feel lopsided in terms of age and knowledge of how to play the game. Having fun is whats it all about. Also keep in mind that if you do play with a lot of younger players try to share some knowledge or approaches, generally speaking they like to hear some opinions about how to win from deck A or B.

Cheers,

Don’t worry last year I saw someone who was probably over 60 playing the TCG, I kid you not

I've got an AARP card, and I play...

So... No, you are not too old to start playing PTCG

Oh snap. How much damage does that card put out? ;)

Well everyone, I guess I better go get some cards and play. Looks like me region (So-Cal) is mostly Expanded so I'm going to slowly start building a deck for that and in the mean time get something cheap. We got the new Burning Shadows Theme decks at work and the Alolan Ninetails Deck has some good trainer cards.

Back