Pokémon Togedemaru for VGC

Nyora

A Cat
togedemaru.jpg

Togedemaru seems really just like another bad Pika-clone at first glance. This thread is for otherwise.
Togedemaru's Base Stats are:
65HP/98ATK/63DEF/40SP.ATK/73SP.DEF/96SPE
giving it a Base Stat Total of 435. Looks bad and doesn't have the greatest movepool, but it is really good in VGC. I know Pokebeach isn't the biggest VGC place, but I've played matches with Togedemaru and it can really be annoying so I think you all should listen up! :p Anyways, Togedemaru gets the Ability Lightning Rod, which draws in and absorbs all Electric-type moves to it and raises its SP.ATK by 1 Stage. Marowak-Alola has this ability and people immidietly started abusing it with things like Primarina, Gyarados, Tapu Fini, and so forth. So if your looking to protect your Pokémon from Electric moves, Marowak is your best choice. It even OHKOS togedemaru with Earthquake, (unless your sashed) which hurts you too. The real use for Togedemaru is To eat things with Wild Charge. I'll give you a set:

Tapu Mouse (Togedemaru) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Wild Charge
- Spiky Shield
- U-turn

Life Orb Togedemaru can OHKO lots of Pokémon and 2HKOS a lot of Pokémon in the meta with Wild Charge. Spiky Shield helps against things like Marowak-Alola and with it you have the possibiliy to KO it if you crit your Wild Charge. U-Turn is there for coverage, and Fake out for I'd assume obvious reasons. So yeah, that's Togedemaru!

Professor Palutena

The Queen
The difficult part of Togedemaru is that it's readily outclassed by Tapu Koko and Thundurus. Toge's stats are too lacking. I'd give it a higher review if it broke 100 in both Atk and Spe, but I'm struggling to see any use for it considering the competition.

What are you using it within in VGC?

Nyora

A Cat
Lightning Rod is the main reason. There is almost no other literal reason to use it except that also it's Steel which provides it to not die to Toxic (Excluding Salazzle and Salandit) and it resists rock slide rather than dying to it like thunders and Koko. It also gets Fake Out which can help you set up say Tailwind or whether you want, and can eat things with Wild Charge. It also has Spiky Shield as to help take down other things and turn some 3HKOs and 2HKOs into 1HKOs. That's why I prefer togedemaru, and I also use Tapu Bulu so using koi would cancel out grassy terrain. As for thunudurs, it's just fast and hits hard, that's all. Togedemaru helps in support and offenses.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Yeah, and also Thundurus' merit was, if I am not mistaking, its Prankster ability, which has been nerfed significantly thanks to the buff of Dark types and Tapu Lele.

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Lightning Rod is the main reason. There is almost no other literal reason to use it except that also it's Steel which provides it to not die to Toxic (Excluding Salazzle and Salandit) and it resists rock slide rather than dying to it like thunders and Koko. It also gets Fake Out which can help you set up say Tailwind or whether you want, and can eat things with Wild Charge. It also has Spiky Shield as to help take down other things and turn some 3HKOs and 2HKOs into 1HKOs. That's why I prefer togedemaru, and I also use Tapu Bulu so using koi would cancel out grassy terrain. As for thunudurs, it's just fast and hits hard, that's all. Togedemaru helps in support and offenses.

A-Marowak gets Lightining Rod as well, plus it can check a large portion of the VGC metagame (mainly the UBs and Tapus). Nearly every team I've seen from recent tournament results has it on their team.