Help To help a noob...

jo94

Gen 3 lover
As the title says, I'm new to the vgc (I've played for 2 weeks now on showdown) and I'm looking for some advices. This is my team atm:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Ice Punch

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower

Persian-Alola @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Power Whip
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Earth Power

Any advice is useful

Hey there, glad to see that someone else wants to try VGC.

There's the current format, VGC 2018, which I *could* help you for, however, that format only lasts until September 4th, where it will then switch to Sun format. So just a heads up for ya.

Regardless tho I'll give you some advice for 2018.

-dhelmise is a bad Pokemon. It's typing is weird for its stats. It's slow, which isn't that much of a problem in VGC, but you're not using trick room so it doesn't have a reason to be used.

-Tapu fini/M Metagross is an amazing combo, so gj on figuring that out. However muddy water is better than scald due to a potential accuracy drop, as well as burn not being possible due to Misty terrain, and moonblast is good for a much more powerful fairy stab move.

-I'd recommend firium over buginium for volcarona, and there are a lot of Pokemon that resist bug in the format.

-persian is an odd choice, don't get me wrong I've seen it put in a lot of work, but I wouldn't say it's the best. As you're still starting however, you might as well keep it. Imo the only thing you should change is the attack EV, as foul play doesn't consider it and fake outs purpose isn't too deal damage.

- Metagross is fine, tho I'd change zen headbutt to stomping tantrum. The coverage is much better in this format, and zen headbutt is only really useful when paired with lele.

- Gastrodon doesn't have much of a purpose on your team so I would just consider scrapping it. Like, it's good, but not great for you. Also, this won't matter if you get rid of gastrodon but rash nature is bad when it's not a mixed attacker set.

So basically, get rid of gastrodon and dhelmise. Instead of those two, I recommend Zapdos and landorus therian. Both of which pair extremely well with fini, and are both excellent Pokemon in the meta. Zapdos has the option to run Misty seed for a boosted spdef, along with the moves thunderbolt, roost, tailwind and heat wave/hidden power ice, while landorus has an extreme amount of versatility, being able to run a special set, physical set, mixed set, choice scarf set, z move set, or assault vest set. Not only that, but it also has a good typing, stats, and intimidate support.

Hope you found this helpful. If you have any questions about the sun format, a lot of that is still speculation. I am however trying to figure out the meta for it, and I'm not always on the forums, so if you ever want to ask some quick questions you can always just ask for me in the discord chat.

i started testing the sun format, everybody plays xerneas, thus I tried duskmane but don't really know what to pair it with.

i started testing the sun format, everybody plays xerneas, thus I tried duskmane but don't really know what to pair it with.

Mostly Lele Bc yveltal cant sucker punch you, and photon geyser is 100 base power + STAB
Kyogre is also Good because it covers Groudon, Dusk Mane's Primary weakness

Mostly Lele Bc yveltal cant sucker punch you, and photon geyser is 100 base power + STAB
Kyogre is also Good because it covers Groudon, Dusk Mane's Primary weakness
100 base power + Stab + Psychic terrain Boost

The usual 'meta' counter for Xerneas the last time this ruleset was used was to bring Bronzong to deal with it instead of wasting one of your legend slots on a Steel type. Since most Xerneas players can't help but not use Geomancy right away, Bronzong gets a big boost to it's Gyro Ball attack (enough to knock it out) and it also gets Trick Room to help your slow 'Mons as well as to punish Xerneas further for using Geomancy. Having Levitate means Groudon can't hit you with it's STAB.

It's a pretty good choice in this format overall and with the Tapu around it has that many more 'Mons to hit for weakness.

The usual 'meta' counter for Xerneas the last time this ruleset was used was to bring Bronzong to deal with it instead of wasting one of your legend slots on a Steel type. Since most Xerneas players can't help but not use Geomancy right away, Bronzong gets a big boost to it's Gyro Ball attack (enough to knock it out) and it also gets Trick Room to help your slow 'Mons as well as to punish Xerneas further for using Geomancy. Having Levitate means Groudon can't hit you with it's STAB.

It's a pretty good choice in this format overall and with the Tapu around it has that many more 'Mons to hit for weakness.
great, TY!

Back