Tips for travelling to London?

Tsukeo

Skitty is so cute! <3
First of all, I am very paranoid.

I am going to London this summer for about three to four days (I know it is short, but I've always wanted to go there, so it is either this or no days. Originally, we were going to be there for a week, but it was shortened to three days.)

And I have this feeling there would be a lot of people stealing from bags, purses and backpacks. Therefore, I am trying to transform my messenger bag I am going to bring to be "steal-proof", but how would I do that?

Also, does anyone have tips on what to photograph whilst exploring London? I am currently planning to go to Earl Court's Station to get a glimpse of the "TARDIS". I know it is not the real one, but oh well. Also, I am going to 'The Who Store'. And, as any other tourist, I am going to see the Elizabeth Tower and London Eye. I only have a 50mm (f/1.8) and a 18-55mm with a Canon EOS 1100D and a tripod.

I want these three-four days to be very full of experiences. (I am planning on going to London Zoo to meet up with my girlfriend to spend our 18 month "anniversary" together.)

I am travelling with my grandparents, and my girlfriend is going some days before me with her parents, so we've planned to meet up in London.

Please, help me plan the best London trip ever? :D

Tsukeo said:
And I have this feeling there would be a lot of people stealing from bags, purses and backpacks. Therefore, I am trying to transform my messenger bag I am going to bring to be "steal-proof", but how would I do that?

I am not sure if you are from Europe, but London has a relative low theft rate compared to other large cities in Europe, from my experience at least. Just don't go about advertising the content of your wallet, and you'll probably be fine.

Oh, I am from Norway, the weather here is strange; it went from spring to.two weeks.of snowstorm in two seconds.

Anyway, Pokequaza has a point. London doesn't have as many thieves as Amsterdam or Rome for example. Trust me, I say this from experience.

London isn't half as bad as you're imagining. Yes, it happens in the worse-off areas in the city, but not half as much in the tourist areas.

Tip: I always keep my bag near my front and I don't carry things like my wallet and phone in my pocket just to be on the safe side. That's what I do in London anyway! It's really not that bad though, you've just gotta be careful when on the tube as that's where you get the most pickpockets.

London is really cool, there is lots to see! If you like museums, The Natural History Museum is amazing, as well as the British Museum. Loads of old stuff!

There are many galleries, but they're not that much fun - The Tate Modern is cool if you want to laugh at the modern art...

Madam Tussauds is a really cool wax museum of famous celebs, very good fun!

Things to see: Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace (The Queen's official residence) (Very nice round there!)... Other cool buildings include The Gherkin, The Shard, O2 Arena (also has lot of cool things going on in there, but it's date specific) although the Shard and Gherkin are just weird looking offices xD

If you like music, Denmark Street AKA Tin Pan Alley used to be where they recorded famous artists back in the day and now has loads of music shops!

I'm probably missing a lot out, but that's all off the top of my head. :) The tube is really easy to use as well, just a bit expensive. Speaking of expensive, it's very expensive there. xD

There is a lot of people, I love going to London, but in the Summer especially it's packed. I would say London eye is a lovely place to go, there is a film museum as well near there it has a lot of Doctor who things in there as well :). China town is a lovely place, Trafalgar square, the parks are all nice. It's a great place to go if you're a tourist though, I live just outside of London, but I don't go as much as I should. The amount of people that go there put me off, plus the costs of travelling and food. Great choice though, you'll enjoy your stay.

London is fine. Just don't go to certain areas of Italy. I've heard that some bad things happen there, and the police do absolutely nothing about it.

I don't really want to mention it. >_<

Oh, that, and you should prepare to convert your kroner to euros in the United Kingdom. They use a different currency there than you have. :)

Yeah. I am at the airport right now, and took 200£ with me.. would that be enough? cx

Back