Strategy Timid Sandy Cloak Wormadam EV/Moveset Help | Quiver Dance?

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I recently hatched a full-odds Shiny female Burmy while trying for a Shiny Mothim and was initially going to postpone raising her in hope that she would eventually get an alternate evo in the future (see the Australian female bagworm moth), but it's been eating at me and I decided that I'll evolve her into a Sandy Cloak Wormadam. (I know this nature is better-suited -- although still not ideal -- for Plant Cloak, but I prefer Sandy Cloak.) She has the best IVs in all stats except ATK (no good) and Speed (decent, but I can Bottle Cap that) and has the Anticipation ability.

EkVpx2P.png

I know this is an awful -- maybe even hopeless -- Pokémon to work with, but I want to know what the best possible set for her would be under these circumstances. I'm not really into competitive and may not ever even use her, but I would at least like her to be moderately useful in casual battles in case I decide to in the future (I might use her in a Mono-Bug team, although I have no plans to use a Baton-Passing Ninjask).

I'd like to use Quiver Dance to compliment her Timid nature and it would be nice if Shadow Ball could fit in (it's one of my favorite moves), but I'm at a loss.

Any ideas? EV and item recommendations are also appreciated.

Last edited:

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I've moved the thread to VG Competitive Play as the thread is about making a competitive Wormadam.

I'm not sure how Quiver Dance would work on this thing, as its Special Attack is only 59 (the lowest of everything that gets Quiver Dance) and its Speed is 36 (making it the slowest Quiver Dancer). It also lacks any special Ground-type STAB, which means its only STAB is Bug Buzz. Needless to say, you certainly picked a challenging Pokemon to work with.

Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Shadow Ball / Psychic is the only thing I can think of. Give it a Focus Sash, as that's the only item I could see working due to how slow and weak it will be. For teammates, give it anything that can Baton Pass some Speed boosts to it.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I've moved the thread to VG Competitive Play as the thread is about making a competitive Wormadam.

I'm not sure how Quiver Dance would work on this thing, as its Special Attack is only 59 (the lowest of everything that gets Quiver Dance) and its Speed is 36 (making it the slowest Quiver Dancer). It also lacks any special Ground-type STAB, which means its only STAB is Bug Buzz. Needless to say, you certainly picked a challenging Pokemon to work with.

Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Shadow Ball / Psychic is the only thing I can think of. Give it a Focus Sash, as that's the only item I could see working due to how slow and weak it will be. For teammates, give it anything that can Baton Pass some Speed boosts to it.
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure where it needed to go.

This is certainly an awkward Pokémon-Nature combo, bordering useless regardless of how you look at it. I just feel bad not training a full-odds Shiny and would like to try bringing out its full potential. Shame it isn't a Rock-Type instead (would've made Sandstorm useful).

Do you think Confusion might be a better option than Psychic? I know it does less damage, but with luck it may Confuse the opponent and save Wormadam from some hits. There's also Attract, but that doesn't deal damage and is a bit more situational.

Should I just train it as I would a Special Sweeper (252 SpAtk, 252 Spe), or do you think I should try putting some of those EVs toward its defenses? I was thinking about trying to balance out its defenses (after 1x Quiver Dance), but I wasn't sure how to distribute the EVs to make them equal.

I probably won't use a Baton-Passer. This would most-likely be used on a Mono-Bug team and, while I love Shedinja, I'm not much for Ninjask. Too bad Yanma/Yanmega don't get Baton Pass...

Last edited: