Thunder and Storms ( Peaked #4 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
After a long block of being unable to build a solid team for Black and White, I finally decided I needed to get a bit of help. Help as in tutoring. So I signed up for tutoring, and I got one of the best tutors around. kd24. kd24 is a really great guy, he's the reason why I got so high on the ladder. He helped me build this team by advising me to build it around one of the most dangerous threats in the metagame. That just so happened to be Borutorosu. I kept getting swept by him thanks to hit great speed, and power. Recently he went into suspect testing, and I figured this would be a good time to retire the team. This team got me quite a few high spots on the ladder with an alt and my main account especially, PDC.

This team, like many others at the time (and now), have a weather changer. This is very important. Espescially for me. Drizzle Toad can destroy my team if played correctly. Keeping this in mind I knew I need a "neutral" Pokemon to even it out. This goes for Drought too. Both are very dangerous if played correctly. With every other team at the time being weather I knew I needed something to balance it all out. Tyranitar was selected because of the ability to give me a Stealth Rocker, dark and ghost resist, and weather changer. It gave me the exact things I was looking for. Tyranitar is also a fantastic weapon against stall, or offensive teams too. The MixTar set I use can catch people off guard occasionally. This allows me to eliminate, or at least heavily damage, Nattorei with Fire Blast and Gliscor with Ice Beam. Tyranitar really turned the game upside down this generation with the weather changing wars constantly going around. Tyranitar however does struggle a little against rain teams. Support Politoad is probubly the worst because of the Toxic it can put on Tyranitar. It will have a very limited living time, eventually going down because of low health and constant switching in. Luckily the slight nerfs to weather settled it a bit. That was a blessing to this team. It gave it quite a bit more breathing room.

Another huge thing about this team is that it really is, as you might call it, a strange one. Even I for some reason don't feel the team fits 100%. I feel it dosen't really have an real counter to exactly every threat. However, I feel it does have at least a hard counter to most things. Jirachi is one of the star members because of this. The all around defensive prowness gives it many chances to take both physical and special hits (mainly special). This is one of the worst things though now about having so many Pokemon. You are always going to be weak to something is your run offense. The amount of threats there are in the metagame at this point is really insane. The power creep really expanded the viable offensive options from good, to huge. This was probubly my biggest problem on the ladder. Facing these really powerful and pressurizing Pokemon.

Anyway, I was able to get to #16 for suspect testing and then climbed up to #4 with a 1497 rating. For a rather short time I was able to get a number #1 rating. What really stinks is that I tested a gimmick team right after and lowered my rating back down a bit. The team has recently kinda got a little less effective, and I finally decided it would be best to retire it. This is my most succesfull team yet. It acheived the highest ladder climb i've ever had. I'll probubly still use it occasionally though because it's really fun to use.

Team Building

642.gif

kd24 asked me what was one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the metagame at this point. One who has swept me before. Thundurus was that Pokemon. He was already being tested for suspect. This shows rights there how dangerous this Poke can really be. NP was in my opinion the top set. Being able to rip through even Blissey with a +2 Focus Blast.

642.gif
385.gif

Then I had to look for a partner for Thundurus. Jirachi fit the bill exactly. Great synergy and support gave it the exact elements needed for a great partner. The Wish support could easily heal off some Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage quite well. Jirachi was also a good answer to some top special threats in the current metagame. The specially defensive Body Slam set fit very well.

642.gif
385.gif
479-wash.gif

At this point I realized I needed a resist to water and fire attacks. I also really liked using Rotom-W on my previous teams. So I added him. He preforms as a great member of the team. Not many sets run Will-O-Wisp outside support. This way I can cripple dragons occasionally. This is a occasional save when they switch in DD Mence or Choice Scarf Onono the next turn. It also was a much safer way of dealing with bulky waters.

642.gif
385.gif
479-wash.gif
472.gif

I really needed an electric resist. I also wanted a better fighting type counter. Conkeldurr and Terakion could really wreck my team at this point. Especially those annoying choice banded ones. So I selected Poison Heal Gliscor to help remove these threats. Gliscor also works very well against Garchomp and Doryuuzu. Before Blaziken was banned I used to occasionally use him against SD varients if Slowbro happened to be down. I used the Taunt SD set to help break stall a little easier.

642.gif
385.gif
479-wash.gif
472.gif
248.gif

I figured I needed a dark/ghost resist and something to set up SR. I selected TTar because of natural bulk, great support, and the fact that it can easily eliminate LO or Specs HP Fire Latios. Pursuiting them into oblivion. Tyranitar was really pretty standard these days. It could pull his own bulky weight against other weather changers too. My team was a little troubled against weather anyway. TTar really gave me a safe card on this one.

642.gif
385.gif
479-wash.gif
472.gif
248.gif
130.gif

I realized I needed a counter to Blaziken. Mixed Blaziken mainly. I selected Gyarados because I was most familar with it. I used bulky dance, then careful rest dd, then a Roar set. But they didn't work. The SR weakness was to much for them to really handle. Blaziken could fire off very powerful Fire Blasts which could put him at a rather low HP percentage. I didn't have very many chances to set up it either. Gyarados was really nice, but I didn't feel like it fit. I went for something a little new to shine that could handle this role better.

642.gif
385.gif
479-wash.gif
472.gif
248.gif
080.gif

Slowbro was my choice. It could hold it's own against any Blaziken set. Even Mixed ones couldn't break it. Regneration gave it a whole new chance to shine in the OU metagame. It could also handle Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Doryuuzu, Garchomp, and many other physical threats rather well. This was the team that got me to #4 on the ladder ( #1 for a short time ). Now with Blaziken banned I feel as though it may need a fresh look. Please rate, steal, or whatever you want with the team.

248.gif

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SAtk / 80 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit

"Lead" Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame at this point. Amazing mobility and support moves allow it to completly dominate in this metagame. Tyranitar is one of the Pokemon on my team which helps deal with the Lati twins. The SPDef boost in Sandstorm means it can easily take even a Specs Draco Meteor or Life Orb Surf and Pursuit them into an oblivion. Even in DPPt MixTar has been one of my favorite Pokemon to use. Being used very little and the fact it has a great lure movepool make it a fantastic addition to the team. Ice Beam eliminates Garchomp or Gliscor switch-ins. While Fire Blast kills Scizor, Nattorei, and many steel types. Stealth Rock also gives it utility support. However it does require a bit of prediction to work perfectly well. Pursuit helps me more than Crunch because it helps trap switching out Latios, Latias, Gengar, or any Psychic or Ghost type that may get in my way.

I got this spread from Iconic because it was just so affective. I tried alot of Tyranitar movests and spread before. This one always worked best. I used a Low Kick varient to eliminate foe TTar, however this just worked better because of the ability to eliminate Gliscor and Nattorei much easier. The only bad thing about using TTar on this team is that it occasionally supports the opponents team through Sandstorm if they happen to have ScarfChomp or something like Landorous.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Protect

Jirachi is so many good things going for it. It's all around bulk means it acts as an all around wall. This set was completly forgotton last gen. Overshadowed by CM and Scarf. However, SPDef Jirachi holds alot more prowness this gen because of the many special threats and dragons that rule the metagame at this point in the metagame. Jirachi also helps support my main sweeper, Borutorosu. It also supports my entire team through wish support which is a huge aid when facing stall teams. The rest of the movest is a ParaFlinch set. Many people tend to switch in stuff like Garchomp and Landoros to eliminate it with high powered ground moves. Only to be met with paralysis. Doryuuzu happen to switch into me alot as well. I can paraflinch Dory away sometimes through this. Even Gliscor sometimes get caught in my trap.

Jirachi is also very important for getting rid of Latias, Latios, and Rank. Rank is one of the most dangerous Pokemon at the time. Jirachi just so happens to help defeat it, although sometimes it can evade my ParaFlinch. Leftovers versions are very hard to defeat due to the constant healing. TR versions get dealt with quite easily due to their frailness. Then of course there is Latias and Latios. Both can't hurt Jirachi that badly, so I can usually get the Para on them and take them out fast. Jirachi is also my main answer to stuff like Sazandora which can blow holes in my team. Jirachi has a very good out look this generation. This is why you see them on almost every team!

642.gif

Borutorosu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Boro is literally the king of overused in my opinion. Well, maybe not king, but he is up there no doubt. Being a suspect already means it has quite a few almost broken qualities. If it weren't for his SR weakness and general fragillity he would be uber in no time flat. The biggest quality though of all is his power and ability to run Nasty Plot so well. This set gives it very good coveredge. Easily enough to sweep a team. Not many Pokemon can run a NP set very well. Boro is the exception. Thunderbolt gives it a solid STAB move and with LO it turns it into a killing machine. Focus Blast hits stuff like Nattorei which can otherwise wall this set quite well. HP Ice gets rid of Celebi and dragons easily. Latios and Latias even can't take HP Ice very well after a little damage.

Sadly Boro often dosen't live very long. Jirachi remedies this through Wish support and quite good synergy. This team also isn't the real best thing for him either. LO + SS + SR wears him down fast. I guess you could even say he really dosen't fit on this team much at all. Your probubly right, but from what i've used him he works very well. He can even break through Blissey and Chansey after a Nasty Plot. However, my team does have a bit of trouble with stall, so I figured I should try and use MixBoro to help reduce this.

479-wash.gif

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Remember when we all thought that the Rotom formes would be ruined? Well... they are. Except for Rotom-W! Rotom-W is one of the best Pokemon on the team. It has decent offensive capabilities and support. Together this makes an amazing Poke. Whats even better though is it didn't exactly lose the great movest it had. Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split are still in it's arsenal. Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are it's main STAB. Both can deal a large amount to most Pokemon because of the large SAtk investment. Another thing about Rotom-W is that it is a great dragon lure with the set I use. Many people switch in Latias or Latios on Rotom because they resist my movest. With the crippling burn on it, it won't stay around very long. This also applys to occasional Haxorus switch ins. Pain Split is for healing. Rotom-W makes very good use of this because of it's very low HP. So when somthing like Blissey or Jirachi comes in, I can heal almost all the way back up.

Rotom-W is also my main bulky water counter. It easily gets rid of Gyarados, Slowbro, Suicune, and Starmie. The new typing serves it quite well. The bulk it carries is also pretty decent. Easily surviving all their moves. There isn't very much to say on the subject of Rotom-W. Besides that it is a fantastic Nattorei lure. Nattorei hates burns. Negating that annoying Leech Seed is also a bonus. I like to think of Rotom-W as a lure with this set. It lures in some of the most common Pokemon in the metagame at this point.

472.gif

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang

Gliscor is simply an amazing Pokemon this gen. That is all thanks to Poison Heal. Last generation I really disliked using Gliscor. This changed everything. With this spread I have great defensive output. However, the crux of this set is not just walling. It is also meant for a bit of sweeping. Any stall team absolutely trembles with fear if they lack Slowbro, Gyrados, or Latias. If Gliscor is at a high amount of health it can almost always win the game. Taunt + SD is such a great combo it's not even funny. Earthquake is mainly for STAB. The great base power it holds is also quite rewarding. Ice Fang is mainly to strike Virizion, Latios, Latias, or other dragon or grass type switch ins. Gliscor is also part of my Rankurusu defense. Especially if they are Leftovers versions and have Psyshock. I can easily Taunt + SD in their face. Then 2-3 HKO with Earthquake. This is one of the biggest reasons why I love Gliscor this generation. With the recent influx of fighting types I needed a surefire way to stop them. Terrakion, Cobalion, Conkeldurr, or whatever gets stopped by this set. This is one of the biggest reasons I love Gliscor.

Gliscor also gives me a very very important electric immunity. Although it can't really switch into many of the users. The main problem for Gliscor though is that it is easy switch in potential for Rotom-W. One of the teams big problems. This is one of the bad things about Gliscor. It can barely touch it back. A double switch occasionally helps here. However there is no way I would be able to fare well with this team if I didn't have Gliscor. The ability to take even the strongest physical attacks and heal at the same time is something that is not seen in almost any other Pokemon in overused. This is why Gliscor is one of the best Pokemon this generation.

080.gif

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regeneration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Slowbro was completly overlooked last generation. This generation gave it a completly new chance to shine. Blaziken was such a big threat I couldn't take it anymore. It could literally blast though my team with LO Fire Blasts and Hi-Jump-Kicks. I knew I needed a counter to it. I tried Gyarados, but the Stealth Rock weakness hampered it greatly. It took quite a bit from LO Hi-Jump-Kicks and Fire Blasts too. Although I love Gyarados alot, I knew I needed something a bit more specialized. I selected Slowbro for this job. His amazing bulk was exactly what I needed. It also was a complete sure fire way to counter fighting types like Conkeldurr. It could take Stone Edges and stuff a bit better than Gliscor could because I can always do a 50% recover whenever I want. This is when I decided on running Slowbro for my team. Slowbro also helps cover physical threats in general. It can handle alot of physical threats from head to toe. Haxorus, Terrakion, Lucario, Hihidaruma, and Gyarados are all stopped by this defensive monster. It also can easily deal with Doryuuzu. This combined makes it a great Pokemon this generation.

The thing that changed it all is Regeneration. Healing a large amount of health every time it switches in is simply amazing. It heals away almost all hazard damage and then some. It is so useful it's not even funny. This ability in my opinion is one of the best in the game. The only downside is it's low special defense. However, the HP can usually make up for this. Now that Blaziken is banned though I don't feel as much need to keep Slowbro on the team. It would be really nice to have a few suggestions on what to put in his place.

Threats To The Team

Yellow = Minor Threat
Orange = Medium Threat
Red = Large Threat

640.gif

Virizion - Not really to bad. A little troublesome though when running Life Orb. Those varients are more annoying. However they can be dealt with if I play them right.

642.gif

Thundurus - Thundurus is problamatic mainly through his Mix and NP set. SR, SS, and LO wear him down rather fast. Jirachi can usually handle him, although not without taking quite a bit of damage in the process.

579.gif

Reuniclus - Reuniclus is a tortue to face. Luckily I have Jirachi to take care of it. Life Orb versions are taken care of easy though because their lack of bulk. While Leftoves ones are very dangerous. They can often shrug off my attacks with ease. These require careful playing around.

479-wash.gif

Rotom-W - Rotom-W is a complete torture to face. Especially if they're a specs set or in rain. They can really hurt my team. Luckily Jirachi and my own Rotom-W can weather some of the demon washers attacks. Occasionally they'll switch in Rotom-W on Jirachi so I can get the para on them. My own Rotom-W can also cripple with Will-O-Wisp too. No matter what though this thing is really annoying.

Thats strange. It said "invalid forum" so I figured it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back