RMT Thousand Sunny

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
With the twilight of Gen 5, I figured why not get in one last OU RMT. I've been tinkering with this for a long while, and so far this has been the best Sun team of all my vast stock of old gimmicks and less-than-ideal teams (not that this one is a gimmick or bad by any means)

Without further ado, I present:
Thousand Sunny
038.gif
003.gif
243.gif
485.gif
212.gif
381.gif

Looks Awkward, Breaks Everything*
1000px-Gaon_Cannon_being_used_zps6768d935.jpg

[size=-2]
* well ALMOST everything...[/size]

The Crew:
This team actually turned out centered more around special attack, which is rather unusual for me since most of my teams center around physical attack or gimmicky stall-ish techniques. Also highly unusual is that I don't have a rapid spin user, which many sun teams are nearly useless without. The beauty of this design here is that I'm not really weak to Stealth Rock, allowing me to free up the spinner slot for something else more offense-oriented.

038.gif

Ninetales (M) @
541.png

Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Straight off the bat, this team starts looking weird. The set starts to look like the standard special attacker but then the moves more closely resemble the defensive set. I primarily intended for this to counter trapper attempts, but it turned out I can pull off a pseudo bulky set without compromising power. Sand and rain are obviously the most prominent answers to Sun, but Will-o-Wisp helps me cripple most sand threats, who are generally physical attackers who rely on ground to threaten Ninetales (rock in Ttar's case, which barely does 50% when burned, also nerfing its offensive ability for the rest of the match). Dark Pulse seems weird, but it helps me more than most replacements, allowing me to catch my opponent off guard and scoring many timely flinches due to the fact Ninetales outspeeds a significant portion of the metagame. I opted for Energy Ball over Solar beam since Politoed likes to switch in on 'tales and Solarbeam would be reverted to a 2-turn move in those cases. Politoed is still 2-3HKOd by Energy Ball anyway, and it allows me to avoid an incoming scald since Solarbeam rarely OHKOs the 'toed anyway. This is usually my fist choice to lure out opposing Heatran, who potentially causes problems for Venusaur and Scizor (as well as Ninetales here).

003.gif

Venusaur (M) @
281.png

Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Siting at a beastly 528 speed in sun, this dino doesn't mess around. EVs are customized to augment it's bulk just enough to avoid many KOs from flying, ground, and a few other coverage moves caried by various responses. The only real threats to this set are the rare scarf Jolteon (bc HP Ice both outspeeds and can 2HKO), Heatran (who walls almost all Venusaur sets to kingdom come), and of course, changing the weather. Once it has a growth or two, that's another story. Even in rain this thing can continue a sweep when at +2/4. Moves are fairly standard and HP fire is for pseudo stab in sun to destoy unsuspacting grass and steel types (not named Heatran) that would try to wall me. He is usually my last resort since some of my other selctions lure out and deal with 'saur's conters anyway.

243.gif

Raikou @
268.png

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Aura Sphere
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My pride and joy as well as destroyer of weather leads. Only Hippowdon can guaranteeably survive the 2HKO, with Chopple/Sash Ttar requiring a 2HKO. Opposing Ninetales are usually dealt with via Heatran, so Raikou rarely does more than finish a weakened one off. This is the CROWN event raikou, so I figured "why not abuse both event-only moves?" I originally had Thundurus-T here, but I kept being outsped by things I needed it to KO. With Raikou's amazing speed, I dont really miss being forced into a Rash nature. I can actually still KO other raikou just because I hit harder and have better coverage (what with Weather ball getting pseudo-STAB at base 100 and out-damaging other Raikou's HP Ice, Tbolt, or Extrasensory). With the 4 moves I have here, I almost always have a option for a STAB or Super-Effective hit, letting the Expert Belt fake specs and still give a respectable boost without LO's recoil. Even when backed into a corner, I can usually use this to come back from being behind 1 or 2 [surviving mons] against their 4 or 5 for a win.

485.gif

Heatran (M) @
234.png

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Earth Power
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast

this monster is the reason I rarely lose a weather war. When switched in on a predicted Politoed switch-in, I can proceed to use sunny day, take 35% OR LESS from scald, and usually KO back with Solar Beam. Air Balloon is common for this set (or at least ones like it), but leftovers functions better since 90% of the time this thing is either taking a Draco Meteor/Outrage, Grass move, or tanking a Scald (against rain teams), which would void the balloon anyway. With the max possible non-scarfed speed, I can deal with 99% of opposing Heatran with Earth Power as well as outspeeding Scizor, Breloom, and many other users of fighing type moves that would try to KO me (Breloom's mach punch obviously outsppeds but does not KO. it either loses after dealing about 35-60%, assuming Fire Blast connects, or Breloom dies before getting off spore, since it is slower than 'tran). This monster alone is almost enough to stop opposing sun by himself (though there are always exceptions).

212.gif

Scizor (M) @
220.png

Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Aerial Ace

Standard scizor makes a cameo here primarily as a revenge killer that can sweep if need be. I chose Aerial Ace over Pursuit/Bug Bite/Quick Attack since more switch ins are fighting types than psychic, ghost, or dark and it allows me to OHKO other scizor, breloom, and may other unsuspecting threats, like Grass/Poison types that could survive the other moves. I could have just a s easily used Wing attack, but Aerial Ace is the same power and cant be thrown off by a stray accuracy drop (not that they're common or I expect them). This one move has saved me countless times from opposing Venusaur/Liligant/Volcarona trying to take advantage of my weather, thinking Scizor couldn't KO before being put to sleep/KOd

381.gif

Latios (M) @
270.png

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost

This is a fairly standard Latios set, but Surf seems strange on a sun team. What most people don't realize, is that it makes Hetran not a total wall to the set. Even in sun, Surf can 2-3HKO Heatran (usually weakening it to managable HP levels without losing Latios). also, it helps me deal with ground, steel, and rock types that abound on sand teams. Against banded Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, I can deal 60%+ damage (in sand/no weather. In rain it can OHKO) with Surf before switching to heatran/my own scizor and still take 45-55% myself, including LO recoil; a respectable amount, and enough to encourage scizor to stay in while I switch to my counter (or the next mon I'll need to begin disassembling the foe's team). Psyshock alleviates some of blissey's pressure on the team and this set. Between Surf and Psyshock, Draco Meteor can be saved for when it's the only way to KO the foe, rather than having to be fired off first thing and nerfed by a steel type. Specs Dragon Pulse was tempting (specs meteor is too easy to wall), but a second LO Draco Meter is actually still stronger than any specs Dragon Pulse (aside from crit ofc :p).

Known Threats

Major:

None really... If I find a massive hole or have one pointed out to me, I'll add it here

Moderate:

Rain. I never really lose the weather war (and the few times I did I still won), but rain teams occasionally get the better of me through hax, misses, etc. It's part of the game and losses are rare enough I can deal with them. No one team seems to consistently beat this one unless the opponent can predict exactly what I'll do every time (which is very rare and I salute the 2-3 I've met who semi-often can).

Miniscule:

Blissey/Chansey. The pink puffs can hinder most of my team, but I have a way to KO them on 4 of my mons as well as Heatran counter-walling many sets (usually when based around toxic stall). Other special walls are generally weak to grass (sometimes 4x, like with the semi-rare Gastrodon) or cand be beat down with Fire, thus easily dispatched.

A really solid team . Though . I must note you to be careful of DD gyarados . Since if ur raikou died it can sweep your team without any worry .

This is definitely a twist from the usual sun teams, from what I've noticed. You mentioned that you weren't weak to SR, which is true enough. Only Ninetales takes more than the normal amount of damage (correct me if I am wrong). There isn't much you can do about Spikes and Toxic Spikes unless you put a Rapid Spinner on your team, so that's fair enough as well. However, what about putting a SR/Spikes/TSpikes user on your team? You were mentioning things like 'Saur's SolarBeam not being able to OHKO Politoed, and Latios' Surf coming close to doing the same thing to numerous other threats. With some prior damage from entry hazards, you could almost definitely get those OHKOs that you want to. You've probably already thought of this and have considered everything I just said, which just made my post useless, but oh well. I just felt like saying something :)
Also, DD Gyarados does kinda sweep your team. SR would help you KO it, because of its weakness to it.

I've noticed 'DDos' (pun intended) relies primarily on waterfall and bounce (or EQ, which I mention further down) to deal damage. Bounce is completely nerfed by Heatran and Waterfall needs at least +2 or +3 to do much to my team under sun. While boosting up to that point, Rakiou (who rarely comes out unless needed) and/or Venusaur can stop it (plus Heatran survives +2 Waterfall in Sun and can usually KO in return with STAB, Sun boosted Fire Blast, which more than overpowers the resistance [it does even more than Solar Beam]). Should Gyarados run EQ instead, I can wall it with Latios and 1-2HKO with Psyshock. In general, Gyarados' usable movepool is rather stallow and generally ineffecive in sun (believe me. I've encoutered several and every one of them fell without a single KO that wasn't already below 20% HP).

Stealth rock would be awesome if I could work it in, but as it is, I had to replace it on Heatran for Sunny Day, which was much more useful in winning weather wars. This team relies heavily (but not as heavily as most) on Sun, so keeping it in effect is more important than breaking the few sashes that would allow a 2HKO on key mons of my current team. As it is, Sash Breloom is the biggest sashed threat I've seen (that I remember) and it can only 2HKO Heatran if it comes in before I send in Tran (and properly predicts to top it off). All of my team can mortally wound it before it gets off spore and I can always switch in another mon to resist the attack following Spore to KO the next turn, if need be (Breloom is slow when not using Mach Punch, and Latios can survive +2 MP in the case of SDloom).

Back