Thoughts on Golurk

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Hello everyone!
In short, I've been building a team. I've needed a good Physical Sweeper, one that can set up and wreak havoc. While I was looking around, I found Golurk.

golurk.jpg

I've come up with a... "preliminary" set that I'd like thoughts on. Keep in mind I haven't played at all in the 5th gen metagame, I've only watched videos.

"Nightmare" Golurk @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
No Guard Ability
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Rock Polish
Dynamic Punch
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Allow me to explain.

No Guard makes Dynamic Punch actually feasible. Now, Golurk is Ground/Ghost. While Dynamic Punch doesn't get STAB and only has 50 power, the confusion matters. A Pokemon like Golurk that can be vulnerable can do a lot with confusion going for it. No Guard also helps with Stone Edge, actually allowing it to hit.
Rock Polish, aside from No Guard, is what makes this set work. If Golurk can either switch in on a Rapid Spinner or anything it can tank, get a Rock Polish up, and land the first blow, it can do damage. Dynamic Punch will allow it to confuse the opponent before it uses it's "real" attacks.
Earthquake is absolutely brutal on this set. With 381 Attack and a STAB boost, it's straight up deadly. Stone Edge is for Flying-types and also has a high crit-ratio.

All in all, I'm really just looking for a reason not to use Conkeldurr, lol. I think this set has potential and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks, I look forward to your input. :)

Slowbro

Aspiring Trainer
Nice strategy, I might actually use it myself, however something that makes it even better is that dynamic punch has a base power of 100, not 50. Nothing major, just thought I'd point it out.

Elk-Dimension

u elkcom hangl man
Earthquake and D-Punch have very repetitive coverage. Just drop it for Shadow Punch, you always want STAB.
It's a good set though, consider Life Orb. Also consider Jolly.

xgo absol

Electroudonigigaserra!
Ummmmm does anyone even know that Golurk can use the HM move "Fly"? I think it would good to use with Golrk imo.

xgo absol

Electroudonigigaserra!
I never said fly was good i just said i thought it was good to use with golurk. You obviously don't understand my pov.

Inigo Montoya

Hatman/Imakuni?/Not Not-TDL
So you're saying that Fly isn't good to use on Golurk, and also at the same time good to use on him? What are you talking about, because Inception-like things are too hard to understand.

xgo absol

Electroudonigigaserra!
The only two good things about Fly is your opponent wastes an attack trying to hit you and you can travel to most places in-game. The only downfall is your opponent can switch out pokemon having a chance to cause little damage.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Fly rely isn't that competitively viable. While it has decent base power, the problem is two attacks will generally do more damage than just Fly. Add in the fact of Fly not having perfect accuracy as well. You'd hate to waste getting hit to not deal damage at all. I'm also leaving this thread open for further discussion.

SuperSeaking

King of the sea
Uh, with No Guard, Fly has perfect accuracy.

I forgot to mention this, but I actually thought up this exact same set before. Weird.

SuperSeaking

King of the sea
Dynamic Punch provides coverage against Normal-types. Its more for the confusion, tho.

I guess you could go either way, depending on your preferences. I like Dynamic Punch more, personally.

Terry Blaze

Revert To Darkness Or Focus Punch Fail
Hmm With Looking At Your Build I Came Up With

Golurk @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Iron Fist Ability
EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Speed, 252 HP
Sub
Focus Punch
Shadow Punch
Earthquake