Help This may be old news, but I’m curious.

Handsy Hoopa

Aspiring Trainer
My cousin and I are on the fence when it comes to the Energy Absorption attack for Mewtwo- EX - XY- Evolutions card. It’s reads, “Energy Absorption- Attach an Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.” To me this means that I can attach a special energy or basic energy from my discard pile as it does not specify one or the other, it simply states “an energy card.” My cousin believes that I can only attach a basic energy card from my discard pile as it does not specify a special energy in the text. Your responses and help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yes, you can use any energy. See the Compendium; while it doesn't explicitly talk about it as an entry, it refers to it working under Rainbow Energy.

Otaku

The wise fool?
My cousin believes that I can only attach a basic energy card from my discard pile as it does not specify a special energy in the text.

If it specified "Special Energy" then you could not attach any basic Energy cards. Just like if it did specify basic Energy, you'd be unable to attach Special Energy cards. If it just says Energy card, it means any Energy card.

I realize the underlying question was answered, but I wanted to explain the way one figures it out for one's self. ;) Most Pokémon cards say what they mean and mean what they say, though a some have been so bad they required errata. :)