Theme Decks for Pokemon TCG Sets Likely Discontinued!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Well, the decks confirm that we will definitely be getting a Colorless Indeedee. And I am thrilled that Volcanion will be a Water-type.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
These are legit worse than our latest theme decks. What was the point of "discontinuing" the title if all we would get were these legit awful decks out of the ordeal? While the two-deal package is ok for newcomers, there's very little for either collectors or actual players, which could get the singles out of everything they want. It's not like these are playable either, why the hell would they give it an Arrokewda + Cramorant package and no Nessa?

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I was hoping that the V decks would be a solid improvement in the decks' lists' quality but apparently not, it's just "shove a V in there and call it a day...oh and btw, lower the overall quality of the trainers while we're at it, those nibbas don't need no Reaserch in their theme decks". The way it's implemented right now, since it's only one in the entire deck, the only thing having a V card thrown in a theme deck like that does is increase variance by making a lot of games about "who got more lucky and drew the V first" (in a format that is already pretty defined by luck because of the sheer lack of quality in the Trainers department. Oh well...

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
If these 2 decks are introduced to theme deck format instead of a new format in PTCGO, they extremly dead, dont have anything that looks impressed, just one 1 boss Pokemon with no way to get them back from discard, which are weak to the 3 most common decks right now The Charizards and Dragonite dont stand a chance, I thought we gonna receive the Japanese decks they were bad but were a lot more interesting than this 2 and cards like Boss and Marnie was meaning a change in theme format

Theme deck was cool for 2 reasons
1- The format was a legit 6 prize battles and this V decks obviously kill that
2-It give the chance to ton of Pokemons with cool gimmick that would never have a chance otherwise, for example Zammazenta have Bisharp with his attack based on prevolutions on bench, Ferrothorn able to move energys before to die and my favourite one Corviknight with his -100 damage effect, non of this Pokemon ever see play on standard but theme decks give them a chance, these V decks look to only have flat damage attacks or take damage/cant attack next turn kind of attacks, truly a shame

If these are or not introduced to theme deck format, its not gonna be any change on the current format, the best they can do is make a new format for these and it look like could take a long time before that format become interesting... Theme decks we really gonna miss you

Otaku

The wise fool?
The 4 dan did make me exhale through my nose, I have to say.

...is that a good thing or a bad thing? My lack of social understanding is showing. I guess I am more confused as to whether you find it funny (bad) or infuriating (bad). XP

Theme decks we really gonna miss you

I still believe TPCi (or TPC, if it goes that high) are totally missing out on how to cater to the casual PTCG market. The short version is I don't buy physical product anymore, just play via the PTCGO. If they introduced the PTCG equivalent of Yu-Gi-Oh's old Worldwide Structure Deck series, finances mean I couldn't go crazy with them, but I'd at least pick up a few. If I had the funds, the entire (hypothetical) series times two, so that it could function as a non-collectible (but still expandable) card game for me and anyone willing to play me. XD

Those old YGO decks I just mentioned were so fun and reasonably well balanced I'm tempted to get two used GBA's, a link cable, and two copies of whatever old YGO GBA game I'm remembering that had the entire Worldwide Structure series (plus two decks that should have been part of it but weren't released outside of Japan), and a CPU opponent who will face you with those decks. So I can play on my own or against another person (like my non-YGO playing nephews).

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Those old YGO decks I just mentioned were so fun and reasonably well balanced I'm tempted to get two used GBA's, a link cable, and two copies of whatever old YGO GBA game I'm remembering that had the entire Worldwide Structure series (plus two decks that should have been part of it but weren't released outside of Japan), and a CPU opponent who will face you with those decks. So I can play on my own or against another person (like my non-YGO playing nephews).

World Championship 2006 was my favourite game, I like a lot they give you 6 decks from the beggining to pick up and was awesome start new games to try a diffent deck each time and trying to defeat the CPUs opponents, one of my favourite features of this game was how they allow you to select you opponent and you were earning more new opponent each time with no plot or storyline (Im too lazy to pay attention and read xD), each deck was a different strategy, my favourites ones to compete agaisnt were Yellow Ojama and King Goblin I believe was called and this were the first ones that appear, make challenges, puzzles to being able to unlock more boosters, it was great you have to build your decks with the resources you have and keep adapting, its my favourite Yugioh Game at least the last I play, I try the next version of World Championship but they introduce plot, never understand how the opponents works or how do you unlock more even reading guides and the weirdest part it was that from the beggining they allow you to pick a structure deck as well like last time but.... The game actually was using the current ban list of the moment, so the decks were already unusable because they have banned cards...

I sometimes would like to play it again but the main problem have always being the A.I. some decks run more smoothly meanwhile there were anothers like Elemental Hero where the A.I. do stupids moves like fuse just to instanly defuse and stuff like that, I wish a concept like that for Pokemon TCG Game but with an improved A.I. cause honestly the current one is comparable to World Championship 2006, a 15 years old game...

Last edited:

mrpnut03

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I was hoping that the V decks would be a solid improvement in the decks' lists' quality but apparently not, it's just "shove a V in there and call it a day...oh and btw, lower the overall quality of the trainers while we're at it, those nibbas don't need no Reaserch in their theme decks". The way it's implemented right now, since it's only one in the entire deck, the only thing having a V card thrown in a theme deck like that does is increase variance by making a lot of games about "who got more lucky and drew the V first" (in a format that is already pretty defined by luck because of the sheer lack of quality in the Trainers department. Oh well...
what is “nibbas?”

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
...is that a good thing or a bad thing? My lack of social understanding is showing. I guess I am more confused as to whether you find it funny (bad) or infuriating (bad). XP

I still believe TPCi (or TPC, if it goes that high) are totally missing out on how to cater to the casual PTCG market. The short version is I don't buy physical product anymore, just play via the PTCGO. If they introduced the PTCG equivalent of Yu-Gi-Oh's old Worldwide Structure Deck series, finances mean I couldn't go crazy with them, but I'd at least pick up a few. If I had the funds, the entire (hypothetical) series times two, so that it could function as a non-collectible (but still expandable) card game for me and anyone willing to play me. XD

Dan is kinda a meme.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Any guesses that the Yanmega in the Venusaur deck is the same Yanmega in the Vivid Voltage Charizard Theme Deck, and the Drednaw in the Blastoise deck is the same Drednaw in the Vivid Voltage Drednaw Theme Deck?

The thing about Theme Deck as opposed to V battle decks is that the Theme Decks must have the cards from the set they are based from, meaning that, you can't just recycle the same pokemon across multiple decks.

We have what we have right now, or we could have had Battle Styles theme decks with Battle Styles cards, which would have made use of the Battle Styles mechanic.

Maybe what we thought what the V battle decks should be is probably the level 2 deck?

I'd like TPCi to release these decks 4 times a year, close to each main set, where they release level 1 decks once, level 2 decks twice, and level 3 decks once. Level 1 decks are for people who have no idea how to play. Level 2 decks are for people who know how to play, but would want a more advanced deck. Level 3 is your competitive deck out of the box, and would cost more.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
You know what? TPCI sent out a survey a while back and now that they're no longer accepting responses, I'm sure they're trying to figure out their campaign for the next year. At this point they've already got 2021 layed out, with very little they can do to change it, so perhaps we should just swing by the Lackey PCTCGO, play it for a while, maybe design some cards and submit them to the Lackey Counsel, and create our own formats that are just the way we like them, and then come back to the competitive and collecting scene in 2022 and see if anything has changed? Its not the perfect solution, but hey, if it keeps us from going insane every time we read about another scalper pandemic or poorly designed product or metagame, hey, I'm not complaining! https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/the-custom-ptcg-plugin-a-manual-ptcgo-for-original-pokémon-cards.149794/

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Care to explain? No, really; I don't know these memes, and it makes me sad.
The simplest explanation I can give is that it is a rock paper scissors effect in ptcgo. That isn't new but the fact that it is on a supporter card with a generic character name makes it so relatable/memeable.

Azul GG (or more accurately his twitch chat) also helped to make it a true meme because of his mission to collect 1000 Dans on ptcgo a while ago. He also played games of rock paper scissors in ptcgo where the goal was to use as many Dans as possible in a game (and win them of course) with specially constructed decks. He also had a Dan emote for quite a while, IDK if he still has it.

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

― E.B. White

Otaku

The wise fool?
“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

― E.B. White

Thanks for the explanation, but don't worry; it isn't exactly "Wha?" face Pikachu in terms of pop culture penetration. In a weird way, though, I'm glad it saves you from four Dans being so frustrating.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Maybe the Pokémon company DOES listen and to what’s going on and the Dans are secret code for “hey, we’re gonna fix things as soon as possible, might take a year since we already have 2021 planned out, so enjoy memeing people in the meantime and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.”
Or maybe I’m just wishfully thinking out loud.

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Lost march was hard to play? I dunno, my kid started at 5 and could have run a lost march deck then (If it had existed). Granted a lot of theme decks are attach smash, but Durant and rhyperior were both in theme decks offering an alternate win con, the decks that did actually come out of lost thunder were both very strategy-heavy, cards like junk hunt Sableye were in theme...

Honestly these decks look a little too dumbed down, and if they are grouped in ptcgo in the theme format they'll be crushed for probably a year or 2 by existing decks before power creep makes these too strong and the format only attach smash.

Pilaffo

Aspiring Trainer
hello everyone pokemon,

I have recently started playing pokémon online again in the thematic deck mode. I bought the Blastoise deck but I saw that this deck cannot be used!! i see that it is not a thematic deck but will more thematic decks be released? you think is this mode no longer supported?

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
hello everyone pokemon,

I have recently started playing pokémon online again in the thematic deck mode. I bought the Blastoise deck but I saw that this deck cannot be used!! i see that it is not a thematic deck but will more thematic decks be released? you think is this mode no longer supported?

Theme decks were descontinued, so the format will probably still exist indefinitely on ptcgo, but it will forever be at the exact same state as it is now with its current deck pool. I was surprised to see that the new V decks , which are basically theme decks with a V slapped onto them, were not legal for use in theme format.