Theme Decks for Pokemon TCG Sets Likely Discontinued!

As in a completely new program from scratch, or? I severely doubt they'd do a new program unless you'd be able to transfer what you already have on there as well as being able to still use code cards.

That being said, since it's on the topic, I feel like I should mention I'd like to see them more actively update and improve the client however, I feel like there hasn't been any big updates since... Hell, four years ago now?

There had been, a year or so ago, some chatter about a new program from scratch. And yes, I think they very well could, just like how MtG did - especially now, with so many people being used to online play. PTCGO just has so much cruft, and it's impossible for them to make any money from it, even if they wanted to, the way it's currently done.

And transfer-wise: yes, it would suck, and they probably wouldn't allow you to transfer everything. But, MtG did it, and despite the groans, managed it pretty well all things considered from what I understand. It would be worth it for a modern game that was actually as good or better than in person...

If V battle decks are supposed to replace Theme Decks, I just hope that the V battle decks are released at the same rate as Theme Decks were, that is, 4 times a year. I don't mind if they release them in sets of 1 or 2, but they should release them 4 times a year.

And transfer-wise: yes, it would suck, and they probably wouldn't allow you to transfer everything. But, MtG did it, and despite the groans, managed it pretty well all things considered from what I understand. It would be worth it for a modern game that was actually as good or better than in person...
Honestly I think it's making enough money for them by keeping product selling during the pandemic, heck I'm not using this Zacian V League Battle Deck anytime soon but I bought it in part to get the cards for online. I think a style revamp with Sugimori characters instead of the 2010s cartoon looking ones with cringy dialog along with a launch on Steam or Epic Games Store would do wonders for the existing game.

I sort of don't like this i play a lot of tcgo. so theme deck tourneys are best for being cheap especially if you want a challenge when it comes to online games becasue of no events irl due to covid. I also wonder how they would handle removing it off the online game. if they were to do that

Well I guess they saw people would rather play Theme Deck format so the nipped that.

Pity they never accepted that the Theme Format should be a real, planned part of the physical TCG instead. A way for younger players to more easily enter competitive play, and a way for busy players (like adults) to keep playing without having to stay fresh with a more complicated Standard or Expanded competitive scene. The Theme Format has its own metagame but its about what decks are best, not tracking individual card usage and perpetually modifying your decks.

Approx. $30 USD every three months to stay "current" with the Theme Format is a pretty solid deal. If these new Battle Decks mean they are taking the Theme Format seriously, good. It stinks they'll probably be a power creep, and part of what helped the Theme Format is that most (if not all) unnecessary gimmicks were absent. I know it will never happen, but the past entire existence of the TCG has proven the powers-that-be don't have the fundamentals of game design/balance down, or that such a task is so difficult that they don't need further complications from such things.

this is a bad decision imo. theme decks are a lot of fun, but more importantly they remain balanced across formats, which is something tpci seems keen not to maintain. That's pretty annoying, to say the least. But we all tend to do our own balancing of sets and mechanics within playgroups and leagues and such, especially with youngins, so its fine, let them do what they want. the tcg always finds a way. Hopefully the indirect result is more streamlined rules and legacy mechanic support.

EDIT:
If I ever had the chance to play a theme format were all the decks were on that level I'd be all over that.

Let's get this going then. You're definitely not the only one. Making a rule or deck construction balance would have me on board too, and I'm sure other people will too.

Last edited:
If V battle decks are supposed to replace Theme Decks, I just hope that the V battle decks are released at the same rate as Theme Decks were, that is, 4 times a year. I don't mind if they release them in sets of 1 or 2, but they should release them 4 times a year.

I don't think that's important, to be honest. As long as there is some variety, two or three times a year is sufficient - especially if it means they can make the decks more inclusive and more "here is the complete realization of a concept" instead of having to be "here is this one expansion's sort of half-baked implementation of a concept that really will not be finished for two more expansions".

I don't know how expansive they'll be with the themes, either - the point of theme decks is to be easy to play, so like, lost march - probably out, right? Instead, if they're more "here is a Pokémon with a lot of hit points who can hit sort of hard", that is probably okay. That will mean that young players can play with these decks and make sense of them; I have a 7 year old son who is quite good with the old school Green's Reshizard, but can't figure out PikaZek - that's the difference between a mostly "hit them hard" deck and a slightly complex deck with specific plays needed to set it up. He understands "put energy on the big guy and then hit", and can win against good players that way. If the V Battle Decks have that basic concept, that's probably for the best.

I wonder what the implication is for something like PTCGO's Theme Format. While I don't play in that one, I wonder-is it going to go the way of Legacy? (Which they stupidly stopped supporting in tournaments, which I'm still salty about to this day) Or will it be updated to include these new upcoming Blastoise/Venusaur Battle Decks?
Maybe this also means the test opponent desks will stop sucking so bad too. I'd like it if the test opponent could do a bit more than just test to see if I can setup.

I wonder what Cramorant we'll get in the Blastoise deck. If it's the Vivid Voltage one, it makes sense that Arrokuda package is there, but then the deck is just a rehash of the Dreadnaw deck... for variety's sake I hope it's the Shining fates Cramorant. The art is amazing on that one too

Same with the Yanmega. The new one is wayyyy stronger.

Last edited:
It’s kinda sad we don’t have a secondary type for the decks...They gave more variety for tactics and different strategies and some of the secondary type cards were actually good techs (like Team Up Pidgeotto or Lost Thunder Naganadel).

Oh well, at least the new Play Levels seem very helpful for beginners in the future and spending less money on competitive cards. I’m actually curious how good are gonna the Level 3 decks be, maybe they’ll be as good as League Battles or Battle Arenas.

Take note. Drednaw, Cramorant, Yanmega, Eldegoss, Volcanion, Indeedee, Boss' Orders, and Gym Trainer are from Shining Fates. So that's they got the digital images very early, leading their early placements in my partial setlist

Back