Discussion The worst XY set?

Alakazam90125

Aspiring Trainer
This is a really tough decision, there is a few sets that I really don´t like, including Primal Clash, XY, Flashfire, and Furious Fists, but by far the worst is Evolutions. It contributed little to the game, with only a few good cards, and I honestly did not like most of the artwork.

Amperglyph

Irresponsibly Colorful
The XY era definitely had a lot of ups and downs, but only one set was so awkward and difficult to use in any meaningful deck that it gets completely left off of most people's lists entirely.

Double Crisis.

Otaku

The wise fool?
The XY era definitely had a lot of ups and downs, but only one set was so awkward and difficult to use in any meaningful deck that it gets completely left off of most people's lists entirely.

Double Crisis.

True, but do mini-sets count? ;)

Plus, while it was small, it did give us two useful Stadium cards (even if they aren't tops) and I love how each card's lore and artwork tell a great story. Don't get me wrong, I wish it had been a little more competitive, but then again maybe they tried and just messed up. XP I would like to see such patterns in art and lore (Pokédex entries) be used in a similar way in regular sets, though.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
People, Evolutions was dubbed a reprint set so celebrate the 25 anniversary of Pokemon to show their older players/fans (those who were in grade school back then) that we remember you but updated for the current power creep. It was never a set that intended to add to the meta but one that seems balanced going into Sun and Moon. Remember that the game has to cater to both players (casual and competitive) as well as collectors. Evolutions is a collector set meant to bring people who left Pokemon back to the game. The set wasn't for us (you competitive people) so I don't think its fair to treat it the same way as the other sets.

Evolutions had so much influence lately that people are asking why they are getting fake Evolutions cards in booster packs, referencing the old Base Set cards. On top of that, the Evolutions pre-releases I went to (and I went to three) were at least four times larger in attendance than the League Cups were. If you're looking at it as just a competitive set, then fine but you're missing the point of the set.