Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
RE: What booster box to buy?

Brave Vesperia said:
Frost Mage said:
So for Christmas I've been planning on using my money to buy myself my first booster box ever. But what set? I really want a Dark Explorers box, but that would cost me around $70 more than most other boxes. I have most of the Ultra Rares in Legendary Treasures, so if I got a box I'd most likely just be getting a bunch of repeats, so I don't think I want to do that, even though the pull rates are ridiculous. What do?

What site(s) are you seeing booster boxes for $70 more than normal prices? A normal price + shipping should be around $100 on the low end and $120 on the high end in my experience.

Are you more of a collector or a player? That makes an important difference in your decision.
Mainly Troll and Toad and eBay. Do you know where could I find a Dark Explorers box for around $120?

BlazeGryph

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, not sure if this is going in the right thread, but I think this would be the right one.

I've been out of the competitive/semi-competitive loop of the TCG for a couple cycles and my friend and I are looking to jump back in, starting with a box purchase this weekend. Out of the current available sets, is there one we should be looking to buy in particular? We're looking to stick to the newest 3 or 4 just so we get more life out of the cards when the next cycle occurs. Any suggestions?

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
BlazeGryph said:
Hey guys, not sure if this is going in the right thread, but I think this would be the right one.

I've been out of the competitive/semi-competitive loop of the TCG for a couple cycles and my friend and I are looking to jump back in, starting with a box purchase this weekend. Out of the current available sets, is there one we should be looking to buy in particular? We're looking to stick to the newest 3 or 4 just so we get more life out of the cards when the next cycle occurs. Any suggestions?

If you want to get a variery of competitive cards, Legendary Treasures is the way to go. Also, try to buy a Red Genesect Collection box for each one of you, it includes several staple trainers and supporters.

BlazeGryph

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks Luispipe8! We've gotten a few Legendary Treasure boosters already and have gotten surprisingly good hauls, so we were hoping that would be a good box to nab.

I'm going to grab my older cards this weekend and see what I still have left that's still in cycle. I stopped playing near the end of Gen IV stuff but I kept buying cards when the Black and White sets started rolling out. We'll definitely keep the Red Genesect Collection in mind!

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
I am planning to buy Worlds Championship decks and wanted to know which ones are better to buy. I want a deck or two from before the 2011 format and something with an easy set up line (just not a counter-all-metagame decks).

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
TheTPCProductionz said:
I am a collector, any ideas on what box to get ?. I want cards, that will gain value in the future ?

No box will gain value if you open it, all the cards in the boxes will be worth less.

I would personally buy a legendary collection box just because of those reverse holos, they are spectacular.

BlazikenBro

Aspiring Trainer
For me personally, I would have to say Plasma Freeze. It gets great cards such as Float Stone, Tornadus EX, Chandelure, Deoxys EX, Metagross, Absol, Kingdra, Staraptor, Ghetsis and great Ace Specs. The DE secret rares are also nice.

Legendary Treasures, maybe not. Its gotten a lot of excitement, mainly for it being a reprint set and having some people's favorite cards in them. You don't need a great big box of stuff you're probably going to get heaps of the same card in. Besides, it has those unpopular rares such as Leavanny, Ninetails and Sesmitoad. You do get nice cards in them, like Toxicroak, Lugia EX, Meloetta (normal) and Sigilyph, but I wouldn't recommend a box.

alstoneman83

Pokemon Master
Hello! I am a rather new player, and the X and Y collection will be the first set released since I began playing Pokemon. I sadly cannot attend any of my local prereleases, so I was wondering what I should do! I am a big fan of Elite Trainer boxes, which I found online for $40 with shipping. (All prices will be with shipping included FYI) I also found X and Y Booster Boxes online for $100 with shipping. Since the Elite Trainer Box only comes with 8 packs, I am debating what I should do. I know deep down inside that I want the booster box, but I don't want to go and blow $100 on something that I don't know if I will fully use! From what we've seen so far of the cards in the X and y set, is it worth dropping $100 on? Or would it be better for me to get one or two Elite Trainer Kits and buy singles or tins after that? Like I said, I am new, so any input will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-alstoneman83

PsychedelicBreakfast

We can live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
I also would not buy an Elite Trainer Box (again).. I bought the Plasma Blast box and pulled one regular holo, the rest were just rares, useless ones at that. I preordered my XY booster box about a month or so ago for $84 total, free shipping, on eBay. I don't know if there are any more out there that cheap, but if I were you I'd save up my money for a booster box.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
I don't think the elite trainer boxes are all that bad... my plasma storm one had FA Cobalion Ex, and my plasma blast one had FA AND RA Virizion EX...with Gscope too. But many of my friends do get crap off their boxes, so it depends.

alstoneman83

Pokemon Master
Thank you all for your responses. I will look around and see if I can find a cheap booster box somewhere! I got a FA Virizion EX, Genesect EX, and a Secret Rare Dusknoir from my Plasma Blast Elite Trainer Box, so I thought I would ask! Thank you all for your input!

-alstoneman83

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Yeah, my brother and I both bought an Plasma Blast Elite Trainer Box and neither of us got a single Ultra Rare...

Stu4488

Aspiring Trainer
I was wondering should I buy the new xerneas trainer box when it's out 8 booster packs and the box for storing swaps is the main appeal but as I plan to get a deck soon n start battling against my bro all the extra bits are surely worth it aren't they? Has anyone else had previous ones? Are they good quality?

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The box is very heavy cardboard, but use will make it look bad quickly. If you want to waste money, go ahead and buy. I am only buying to report on for PokeBeach.

scraftyfan#1

Aspiring Trainer
I'm planning on buying a booster box but i dont know which one to get out of Legendary treasures or the upcoming X & Y series, I cant decide as Legandary treasures have most of the best cards from the black & white series with impressive EX's such as darkrai and keldeo, but X & Y is introducing Mega's and they look interesting as well as having some of the new pokemon in and a new type. which one should you think i should buy?

any help would be great:):)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Personally I would go with X and Y, because of all the awesome new cards, and because with the insane pull rates in Legendary Treasures, you're most likely going to get multiple of the cards that are easily to pull, such as the Ultra Rares from the Radiant Collection.

scraftyfan#1

Aspiring Trainer
yh I have already bought a legendary treasure booster box and got some really good pulls but i also got 3 meloetta's and 3 shaymin so i was leaning more to X and Y, mainly for the nostalgia of having the new pokemon in card form