Fun The Top 5 BREAK Pokémon

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I was thinking of making a very small tier list of the new BREAK mechanic. There aren't many BREAK Pokemon in standard currently that are worth playing so I decided to include Pokémon BREAK from upcoming sets as well. I guess the list will be somewhat predictable. I judge these cards on their current succes or their potential. Usually my predictions are not very off so put a little fate in me okay? Oh and don't let me see anyone write BREAK as 'break'. I will find it, and I will edit it.

Okay are you stoked? Here we go:

Zoroark BREAK
j7t9scm.jpg

Rawr! From the set to introduce the BREAK mechanic. The first BREAK to actually see play: Zoroark. Sadly the only one that was worth consideration back then... Why is it good? It's actually the stage 1 that came with BREAKpoint that made the BREAK evolution viable. A strong attack for a Double Colorless Energy and the exact same ability Keldeo EX has. A deadly combination in a Yveltal EX deck or decks using Pokémon with heavy retreat costs.

Why would you even need to evolve into Zoroark BREAK? Well to be honest you don't have to. But it is not a bad addition. I've seen Yveltal/Gallade/Zoroark decks that also included the BREAK, and the reasons to do so are fairly simple:

1. More HP! Isn't that nice, yes it is.

2. Foul Play is a good come-back attack . While your opponent has to load 4 energies on their Pokémon you only need a single dark energy at your opposal. Unfortunately there aren't many Pokémon in the current format that use very heavy attacks and it's completely useless against Night March like attacks.

3. Sparkling card

Wobbuffet BREAK
Psychic – HP140
BREAK Evolution – Evolves from Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet BREAK retains the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of its previous Evolution.

[P][C] Look-a-Like Barb: Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon. During your opponent’s next turn, place damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokemon equal to any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks.

Wobbuffet-BREAK-CP4.png

haha no not just because it's one of my favourite Pokémon...

As a Psychic Pokémon Wobbuffet always has an interesting arsenal of attacks. In the video games it's very limited and it consists only of counter attacking. He is the Revenant. He takes a hit then throws it back right at you. The basic form from Phantom Forces didn't get a reprint for nothing. It's a very useful card to start with. Formerly it has been popular to start with in Primal Groudon EX decks. But man is this a good combo with Mega Alakazam + Hoopa EX or what? You lock every ability out except for Scoundrel Ring and Kinesis. Your bench will get the perfect Set-up while your opponent struggles without their precious Shaymin EX. Yes, this could even be a budget deck because you don't require Shaymin EX. But the card creators thought they should make it even better with Wobbuffet BREAK.

For starters, it's a stage 1 with 140HP. This is outstanding. Not even most stage 2 have this much HP. And what is it for? To do the exact same as in the video games: counter attacking. Placing damage counters is good and let me tell you why:

It can't be reduced by any effect. It isn't affected by weakness and resistance. It bypasses several immunity barriers. For example. This deck combination could take out Jolteon EX and Glaceon EX out completely with abilities and effects of attacks.

Do I still have your attention on the Alakazam - Hoopa EX - Wobbuffet combination? (And duh ofourse 4 Dimension Valley, do I even need to mention?) Captivating Poképuff also works very well with this deck. With Wobbuffet it blocks Shaymin's EX ability. And you get to snipe low HP Nightmarchers Pokémon on their bench that were forced into play.

I'm not going to deny Wobbuffet BREAK is a risky play. But your opponent certainly has to think twice before hitting Wobbuffet BREAK after it used Look-a-Like Barb. Especially with an EX Pokémon because they have to keep the price trade even. So to say, It could buy you another turn to use Kinesis. If you ask me, It certainly has potential.

Greninja BREAK
1088236.jpg

I thought it would be good, but Tier 2 exceeded my expectations. Mainly because essentially it is a stage 3. But that's just appearance! There are many ways to get Greninja out in the field. It's not an issue if you use Frogadier attack plus Wally for example. Another path you can take is Archie's Ace in the Hole. And why is it worth this effort? Yet again we see that placing damage counters across the field is pretty menacing. Up to 90 at once if you evolved from XY Greninja. But what else to expect from a golden ninja frog?

Trevenant BREAK
IzOXOQl.jpg

I also made up a nickname for this one: Overdue shiny Christmas tree takes number two! Forest Curse returns and most of you probably know how the deck works. Get Trevenant out turn one with the help from Wally to get the item lock going. Now with a BREAK Evolution for some bulky amount of HP and a better attack. Let's keep it plain shall we?

Carbink BREAK
t3OEaTS.png

What is even better than a frog or a tree? Obviously, it's a flying rock! It's the card Fighting Support didn't really deserve and didn't really need either. But it's coming and it's ground breaking.

The two things this little buddy has going for him is the safe-guard ability on its basic form and the Diamond Gift attack on its BREAK form. Actually it could handle many decks on it's own. EX decks without ability lock are pretty much lost already. And those pesky hard hitting non-EX Pokemon can easily be taken down with Diamond Gift with an even price trade. But my guess is that is will mainely be used for setting up the bench and special cases. Zygarde EX may do the heavy lifting.

But Carbink BREAK can fight as well. Sure its base damage is 20. But stack this up with a Strong Energy, Fighting Stadium, Muscle Band (Pherhaps) and some Regi Power and were hitting 90+ Damage each turn for a single energy. Plus it only is an evolution line of two and has decent HP. I have a good image of how the upcoming format will look like, and Carbink will be part of it.

This is all debatable and I love to hear your opinion. Phew... I usually don't write this much. I could've turned it into an article but my writing is probably not near good enough. Now everyone thanks for reading, and don't forget to take a BREAK every now and then. hehehe

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Good list.

I wasn't sure about Wobbuffet BREAK when I first saw the spoilers. It reminded me too much of base set gastly's destiny bond. But this makes a good case for it. The Wobbuffet/Hoopa/Alakazam combo is a good one.

There are two others I think are going to be good,

Bronzong BREAK – Metal – HP130
BREAK Pokemon – Evolves from Bronzong

BREAK Evolution: This Pokemon has the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of the Bronzong it Break Evolved from.

[M][C] Gold Rain: Discard as many Metal Energy attached to this Pokemon as you like. For each Energy discard in this way, choose the same number of your opponent’s Pokemon (you may choose the same Pokemon twice). This attack does 30 damage to each of those Pokemon for each time you chose them. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.)

Crobat BREAK – Psychic – 160 HP
BREAK Evolution – Evolves from Crobat

Crobat BREAK retains the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of its previous Evolution.

[C][C][C] Silent Bite: 60 damage. You may leave your opponent’s Active Pokemon Paralyzed. If you do, shuffle this Pokemon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

Bronzong BREAK gives snipe to Bronzong decks. You can hit multiple targets or focus all the energy on just one target.

Crobat BREAK reminds me of Deck and Cover Accelgor (though not as broken). A nice addition to bat decks that can recycle bats to use again.

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
Great list! One thing to note though is that wobbuffet BREAK's attack CAN be nullified by a few different things. Wonder energy is one. There is also a tool from the new set that prevents all effects of attacks except damage done to the Pokemon by attacks. That also negates the placement of damage counters.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
Great list! One thing to note though is that wobbuffet break's attack CAN be nullified by a few different things. Wonder energy is one. There is also a tool from the new set that prevents all effects of attacks except damage done to the Pokemon by attacks. That also negates the placement of damage counters.

I think the attack of Wobbuffet BREAK place an effect on ITSELF, not the opponent. Wonder energy and twist spoon prevent effect place on the attaching pokemon only. so Wobbuffet still works.

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
I think the attack of Wobbuffet BREAK place an effect on ITSELF, not the opponent. Wonder energy and twist spoon prevent effect place on the attaching pokemon only. so Wobbuffet still works.
I actually had to do some questioning about that myself. The effect says "Place damage counters on your opponent's pokemon", which immediately makes it an effect on the opponent's pokemon. The number of them is the part that is affected by the wobbuffet portion, not the placement effect. It's the exact same as Trevenant break's attack, except the number of them is decided based upon the damage done to wobb.

Robin Aisaga

We better wait for the official english translation. As it is worded now @OmnomOrNah is most likely right. This part of the sentence is simply a measurement:
''equal to any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks.''

Now I did consider the Wobbuffet/Hoopa/Alakazam deck two greatest enemies while writing. They are Bent Spoon and even more so Garbodor. I know there's Wonder Energy, but I think I'm the only one that ever used it and it was not worth it as a Special Energy. And I doubt Bent Spoon will see much play, I've only heard complaining about how mediocre it is so far. However it's going to play out it's definitly a good idea to have multiple Xerosic in this deck. Also to discard Fighting Fury Belt because placing damage counters does not bypass it. Another issue for Look-A-Like Barb is Lysandre, but he's a pain for every deck I guess. :)

Robin Aisaga

They will not answer the question as there isn't an official english translation yet. Here is the place to speculate about it. However, if you could find an example that is somewhat the same case you could ask the ruling on that card in the 'ask a professor' section. But I can't think of any. :(

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
I will ask in the 'ask professor a question' section
Luckily, I am a professor haha. Robin is correct in saying that we haven't received an official ruling on it yet since we don't have an English translation though. Once we get the English version, it could be worded completely differently and you could be right though!

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
Luckily, I am a professor haha. Robin is correct in saying that we haven't received an official ruling on it yet since we don't have an English translation though. Once we get the English version, it could be worded completely differently and you could be right though!
Thanks man!

Mora

Don't Panic
I'd move Carbink to the bottom of the list. Both Trevenant and Greninja have seen a lot of play, and the Breaks are actually what makes the decks so powerful. Carbink is really just a better Landorus. I really don't think it's anything ground breaking (puns honestly not intended).

Robin Aisaga

Sure, you can give them more credit because they are the center of their own deck. But there are so many good cards that need the help of a counter part to deal with situations they can't deal with on their own. Like Carbink who needs a bulky Pokémon that can K.O. Pokémon in one turn. And I wouldn't just call it a better landorus... Two energies instead of one, special energies and the real difference: the safe-guard ability. Landorus takes less deck space and doesn't need evolving. But I don't think that's enough reason to play it over Carbink BREAK. Its purpose is not only taking the opponent's Pokémon down as Trevenant and Greninja do. It set-ups and is a wall against EX decks. At that I'm sure it will do a great job. That's my reasoning, I understand your end of the bargain though. I also realise now my pun was really bad because Carbink has a Ground weakness XD

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
I'd move Carbink to the bottom of the list. Both Trevenant and Greninja have seen a lot of play, and the Breaks are actually what makes the decks so powerful. Carbink is really just a better Landorus. I really don't think it's anything ground breaking (puns honestly not intended).

Disagree. Why? Because one of the Carbinks has Safguard, which carries over into it's BREAK evolution. That plus (special) energy acceleration and cheap damage should make for a solid card.

Though I do agree that Trevenant is the best BREAK.

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
I'm almost surprised Delphox BREAK didn't make it. It is a essentially a Stage 3, but it has excellent synergy with both XY Base Delphox and the new Fats Collide Delphox. Being able to search your deck for a Fire Energy is pretty good, especially when it is adding 20 damage to your attacks. Still, it is a Stage 3, so I get why it didn't make the cut.
But why isn't Beheeyem BREAK here... It's by far the best.

Mora

Don't Panic
Disagree. Why? Because one of the Carbinks has Safguard, which carries over into it's BREAK evolution. That plus (special) energy acceleration and cheap damage should make for a solid card.

I never said that Carbink was bad, I just think that Trevenant and Greninja should automatically be top of the list because they are their own decks which are backed by tournament results.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
No mention of lugia Break it has a good ability, high Hp, good damage output that hits numbers with muscle band, a good attack from its base, has synergy with both Bronzong and Eelektrik, And its only a Stage 1 versus stage 3 or 2. Not saying it will be winning worlds thanks to night march being way to friggen fast for anyone to get creative nowadays but its good as an alternate attacker in raikou/eels if you can fit it in. Anyway my list for best breaks are....
1. Greninja Break
2. Lugia Break
3. Trevenant Break (Seriously this is only good cuz it beats night march and Fighting)
4. Zoroark Break
5. Marowak Break (Filler)

Tepig4321

The Very Best Like No One Ever Was
zororak should be #1 because it can use all of the break attacks above
but thats my opinion

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I'm just imagining a deck right now... BKP Sigilyph/Wobbuffet Break/Dimension Valley/Bursting Balloon (cue evil laugh)

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder

Trevenant will be the best BREAK card untill XY Trevenant (the item lock one) will rotate... ;)

WastedSkyPirate

If you're looking solely at the BREAKs (and not the potential Pokemon underneath them) then the best, in my opinion, is Greninja. A Greninja deck without Giant Water Shuriken doesn't do enough to register as a top tier threat. Meanwhile, I feel the BREAK in a Trevenant deck is less important than the item lock - Silent Fear is just a fantastic bonus.