Discussion The Sun and Moon Theme Decks are Broken

President Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
I attended the Sun and Moon Theme Deck Tournament yesterday and was surprised to see how much better the Roaring Heat theme deck was than the Bright Tide or Forest Shadow theme decks. Roaring Heat gets 110 and 120 HP basics ( Oranguru, Passimian, Torkoal ) while Bright Tide gets 60, 70, and 80 HP basics ( Wingull, Spearow, Togedemaru, Corsola) and Forest Shadow gets 50 and 60 HP basics ( Bounsweet and Surskit ) but also gets Kangaskhan and Pinsir. The BT and FS theme decks main pokemon also have less HP that RH's. I also found that it was very hard to draw energy cards. I once had a hand of 9 different pokemon with a full bench (wish there was a Sky Field Stadium card in the deck LOL).

Hmm...

I don't do Theme Deck stuff much outside of the PTCGO, where the decks are good but definitely not as good as some of the online only decks. Even against other regular Theme Decks, they don't see that much better, only what you get with power creep (later XY-era theme decks often are better than early XY-era theme decks).

Edit: Just re-read your first comment. I want to clarify; they seem fine against each other and Theme Decks are far too weak for what they should be. They just have so much filler. I know the designers want people to complete the lines as their collection grows, but that ignores how most people actually grow in the game.

You know it is bad when Yu-Gi-Oh got it right and Pokémon still hasn't. I mean, not right now, but for several years YGO was regularly releasing a series of Structure Decks, two at a time, based on either Monster Attribute or Type (A Dragon Deck and a Zombie Deck, a Fire deck and a Water deck, etc.). Pokémon could get this right, if they took the Battle Arena Decks and released them a bit more often.

Hmm...

I don't do Theme Deck stuff much outside of the PTCGO, where the decks are good but definitely not as good as some of the online only decks. Even against other regular Theme Decks, they don't see that much better, only what you get with power creep (later XY-era theme decks often are better than early XY-era theme decks).

Edit: Just re-read your first comment. I want to clarify; they seem fine against each other and Theme Decks are far too weak for what they should be. They just have so much filler. I know the designers want people to complete the lines as their collection grows, but that ignores how most people actually grow in the game.

You know it is bad when Yu-Gi-Oh got it right and Pokémon still hasn't. I mean, not right now, but for several years YGO was regularly releasing a series of Structure Decks, two at a time, based on either Monster Attribute or Type (A Dragon Deck and a Zombie Deck, a Fire deck and a Water deck, etc.). Pokémon could get this right, if they took the Battle Arena Decks and released them a bit more often.

At least the theme decks aren't nearly as bad as MTG ones. Get a MTG intro deck Planeswalker deck and you're really just getting a 'meh' Planeswalker and a pile of 100% useless junk.

I do admit though, too many of the theme decks have too many filler pokemon that really hurt them.

Back