Discussion The Shiny Hunting Thread

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I got two random encounter Pokemon within 24 hours of each other. Both female; a Zubat and a Magikarp. Both were random encounters.

So yeah; the three shinies I have in Su/Mo are Pokemon I already have.

AppeltjeEitje

Doing nothing is hard, never know when you're done
I chained for a shiny Salandit, and it popped up after about 40 SOS encounters. It was female too, I was so hyped. Then I started to chain for shiny Pikipek and got it after 3 intense days of chaining. The next hunt will probably be Grubbin or Fomantis.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
On Blush Mountain, I was chaining in Sun for a shiny Alolan Geodude, and after about 300 into the chain, the one Geodude left self-destructed itself to death. I was so angry. Then the next random encounter was a shiny Togedemaru! ^w^ I was so pleased by that. It's Serious with no perfect IVs but I'll take it :)

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
https://s20.postimg.org/xlga337v1/ShinyStuffulImage.jpg

I was breeding for a competitive Adamant Fluffy Stufful. (This is a Masuda Method shiny as I was using an English Stufful and my 6IV Japanese Ditto.) And this little guy shows up. I was not expecting a shiny, so I didn't keep count. I would estimate that it took about 50 or so Eggs.

It's a 4IV Stufful (HP, Attack, Special Defense and Speed), just narrowly missing out on the perfect Defense IV by about 10 points or so. Also; has a zero in the Special Attack stat.

https://s20.postimg.org/9vquee9hp/ShinyStuffulImageII.jpg

It's Male and is nicknamed Pooh Bear. I just need to EV Train this guy up and I can't wait to use him competitively.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The only Shinies I like aesthetically this Gen. are Midday Lycanroc and Minior, but I'm going to try for a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew first. I'm a little disappointed with its Shiny colors, but since it's my favorite design this Gen. and I'm hooked on Shiny-hunting...

I've heard that "call for help" encounters have a higher Shiny rate, but I'm really hoping to find a full-odds one. I'm currently running around Mount Lalakila in hopes of finding a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew, but I'd be cool with Sneasel or a female Snorunt. I'll probably MM Lycanroc and Minior after the Pokémon Bank update, Alolan Sandshrew as well if I don't find a full-odds one.
Finally found my full-odds Shiny Alolan Sandshrew! I was actually taking a break from hunting it to run around the region, but one popped up before I got off the mountain. xD

kF9kuWC.jpg

Awful nature, but she's mine. <3

EDIT: Already found my second and third full-odds Sun/Moon Shinies! O_O

XqdjdDd.jpg

Last edited:

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
https://s20.postimg.org/ekw5ip6rx/ShinyJangmo_oImage.jpg

I decided to bred for Jangmo-o because I was bored. I had obtained the first Egg and was running around waiting for the other Eggs. I took 2 more Eggs and put the Jangmo-o used to breed and my 6IV Ditto into the Box.

Then the first Egg hatches; and shiny. I'm like "You can't be serious."

It's like the game was trying to give me something because I had struggled to so hard to catch Tapu Fini in Sun (wasting like 2 hours), and ended up giving up for the time being.

Loaf of Slakoth

BREAD is loafing around!
I REALLY REALLY badly want a Shiny Pallosand, and I have a Pokemon with Odor sleuth and false swipe and everything, but I can't catch one....
I've caught shinies in ORAS by using the Dexnav(my first shiny was shiny Electrike in only about 70 encounters, I caught a male:mad: shiny ralts in 1 encounter)
but they don't have Dexnav in Sun or Moon. Anyone know if there is another method for finding shinies other than SOS Battles?

MrCoolViking

Aspiring Trainer
I've been Shiny Hunting, but no luck so far. I DO have some Shinies, but all of them are through Trading:

Sun: Lv.28 Pachirisu and a Lv. 100 Latias. The last one is most likely a clone.
Moon: Lv. 100 Knirfish (German Bruxish), Lv.100 Keldeo, Lv.100 (Solar Power) Charizard and Lv. 100 Smeargle.

I'm sure all the Lv.100 Pokémon are all clones, but they will never be used anywhere anyway. Just keeping them as trophies...!
I really don't understand the fun (or purpose) in cloning, though...! But hey, if they like wasting their time...! :rolleyes:

Hopefully I will catch my own wild Shinies soon! Or maybe through breeding?! You never know!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I decided to try for a full-odds Shiny Mothim in a Moon Ball a while back to balance out the number of full-odds VS non-full odds Shinies on my main team (my current Mothim was MM'd and not in a Moon Ball). I finally hatched a Shiny Burmy a few days ago, but it was female. Dx

bEyn9cZ.jpg

Still trying for a male, but I'll probably just MM one if the next is also female.

https://s20.postimg.org/ekw5ip6rx/ShinyJangmo_oImage.jpg

I decided to bred for Jangmo-o because I was bored. I had obtained the first Egg and was running around waiting for the other Eggs. I took 2 more Eggs and put the Jangmo-o used to breed and my 6IV Ditto into the Box.

Then the first Egg hatches; and shiny. I'm like "You can't be serious."

It's like the game was trying to give me something because I had struggled to so hard to catch Tapu Fini in Sun (wasting like 2 hours), and ended up giving up for the time being.
Oh wow! I think the earliest I ever got a Shiny was on Egg #3 or 4. Nice!

EDIT: Oh, I also found this guy.

5NhRpfa.jpg

Last edited:

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
I sure hope y'all like long posts because during my hiatus from here i got a ton of shinies :p

Shiny Yungoos: i was looking for a Adaptability Yungoos when a shiny popped up. obviously named it trump :p

Shiny Raticate: Found this little guy while grinding on Poni wilds, first wild non SOS shiny that i caught

Shiny Carvanha: Hatched this out of nowhere while trying to get a perfect Sharpedo. Sadly no speed boost but its in a moon ball so its all good lol

Shiny Skrelp: Anoter random hatch, this one did get its HA (adaptability)

Shiny Golduck(x2),Granbull and Pelipper: Poni Gauntlet seriously loves me for some reason. i got all them in a timespan of 2 weeks.....

Paused the longest hunt i've ever had (1000+ eggs for Fomantis) so i can do some random encounters in Lush Jungle (with charm!) and i might do a gen 4/5 hunt but alonside it but i'm not sure.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I got a shiny Spearow within 2 days of getting the game. (On route 3, the shadows) Then, two days ago, I get a shiny Golduck. Both weren't SOS. I wonder what my luck would be if I chained xD.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
On Sunday, while finishing up the storyline in Sun; I found a full-odds shiny Boldore in the Vast Poni Canyon. It was a female that I nicknamed "Azurite" after the blue stones in its shiny form.

It was too late to use it, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a full-odds shiny. (1st full-odds shiny in Gen VII)

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
On Sunday, while finishing up the storyline in Sun; I found a full-odds shiny Boldore in the Vast Poni Canyon. It was a female that I nicknamed "Azurite" after the blue stones in its shiny form.

It was too late to use it, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a full-odds shiny. (1st full-odds shiny in Gen VII)

Lol nice. I want a shiny Gigalith so much xD. It looks like Diamondhead from Ben 10.

EDIT: I've been looking for a shiny Beldum for a bit, hopefully I can get one soon.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
During the weekend, I've been SOS-chaining quite a bit, and managed to get myself Alolan Grimer, Pangoro, Trubbish, Garbodor, Beldum and Mudbray. For anyone SOS-chaining, in case you didn't already used one, an Exeggutor with the ability Harvest and the moves Skill Swap and Bestow, holding a Leppa Berry, is really good for SOS-chaining! :)

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
Finally some posts so i don't have to double post lmao

Got some shinies x3

Shiny Gible (gen 4 mm): got this after 84 eggs, wanted to challenge myself with a old gen mm but i got it really quickly even for gen 7 standards

Shiny Fomantis: even with MM+shiny charm it took 1392 eggs to get this lil hug ;-; atleast its 5-iv speed adamant x3

Had a ORAS horde hunting spree this weekend and i got Wumple(now a Beautifly), Wingull, and Whismur. i also got a Corphish with chain fishing, but its modest with 0 attack ivs lmao

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
During the weekend, I've been SOS-chaining quite a bit, and managed to get myself Alolan Grimer, Pangoro, Trubbish, Garbodor, Beldum and Mudbray. For anyone SOS-chaining, in case you didn't already used one, an Exeggutor with the ability Harvest and the moves Skill Swap and Bestow, holding a Leppa Berry, is really good for SOS-chaining! :)

...I was chaining yesterday for that. I want a shiny Beldum so bad D:.

The problem with it is that it's hard to catch, and if you use an Adrenaline Orb, it calls for help so often. I've been using my Decidueye with false swipe on it.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
...I was chaining yesterday for that. I want a shiny Beldum so bad D:.

The problem with it is that it's hard to catch, and if you use an Adrenaline Orb, it calls for help so often. I've been using my Decidueye with false swipe on it.
I used my Decidueye as well, however, I didn't False Swipe the shiny Beldum. I just put it to sleep with Hypnosis on Exeggutor and then used a Timer Ball :)