Discussion The Shiny Hunting Thread

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
It’s that time again! A new Pokémon game has been released, or for us in Europe it’ll come very soon, and a bunch of new Pokémon are available for capture starting at Route 1! But, each and every of these new Pokémon are available as shinies (except for the shiny-locked Pokémon of course), and this thread is all about them! So which shiny Pokémon do you like? Which are you planning to hunt? Which method will you use? Or have you already caught a shiny, and want to show it off? Then feel free to post it here, though please include how and where you caught it, and if it was random or planned :)

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Might try and hunt for Shiny Bounsweet when it comes to it, and maybe hatch for Litten. Not too many shinies I want but if I find the will I'll try my best to get them!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Not too many shinies I want but if I find the will I'll try my best to get them!
I kinda feel the same, with the new Pokémon at least, but there's still a lot of the older Pokémon I'll see if I can find!
Personally I've decided to go for a shiny Crabrawler for my team, once I get access to a Pokémon that'll make hunting easier. Otherwise I think the Oricorios, Comfey and Sandygast are the ones I'll try hunting for first.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
I do like the new Pokémon shinies, I just don't really like the methods available. They got rid of pretty much all my favorite methods. And replaced the free methods with 1 non free method.

I don't really like the new shiny sparkle thing they added either tbh. Kind of wish you could turn it off and just have the different colored Pokémon.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I don't really like the new shiny sparkle thing they added either tbh. Kind of wish you could turn it off and just have the different colored Pokémon.
I don't mind it, but I do think it is a bit of a difference from what we had in gen 6. If you turned it off, it would be hard to spot shinies with little difference, so that would be a little problem though :p

TheRealBro..

or for us in Europe it’ll come very soon

Yeah, tomorrow finally! Avoiding too many spoilers was already hard the past few months, but the past 5 days were.. well, annoying!

I really like that it's now possible to actually make sure your shiny has some good IV's (although the wrong nature would still suck obviously). In past gens I would always find a shiny with terrible IV's..

The Shiny sprite I like the best here is Palossand. The main problem I have with it's normal design is the color but with the black sand it looks really ominous which really brings it's concept to life!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The only Shinies I like aesthetically this Gen. are Midday Lycanroc and Minior, but I'm going to try for a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew first. I'm a little disappointed with its Shiny colors, but since it's my favorite design this Gen. and I'm hooked on Shiny-hunting...

I've heard that "call for help" encounters have a higher Shiny rate, but I'm really hoping to find a full-odds one. I'm currently running around Mount Lalakila in hopes of finding a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew, but I'd be cool with Sneasel or a female Snorunt. I'll probably MM Lycanroc and Minior after the Pokémon Bank update, Alolan Sandshrew as well if I don't find a full-odds one.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I'm going after Shiny Rockruff (midday Lycanroc) once I beat the game! I need my beautiful blue pup.~

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
I really love all the new mons and their shiny forms, But obviously i have to hunt a shiny fomantis first (Lurantis stole my heart rip)
After that i don't really know yet. might start masuda methoding for the starters

The only Shinies I like aesthetically this Gen. are Midday Lycanroc and Minior, but I'm going to try for a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew first. I'm a little disappointed with its Shiny colors, but since it's my favorite design this Gen. and I'm hooked on Shiny-hunting...

I've heard that "call for help" encounters have a higher Shiny rate, but I'm really hoping to find a full-odds one. I'm currently running around Mount Lalakila in hopes of finding a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew, but I'd be cool with Sneasel or a female Snorunt. I'll probably MM Lycanroc and Minior after the Pokémon Bank update, Alolan Sandshrew as well if I don't find a full-odds one.

The call for help encounters boost the shiny rate, along with a change for hidden abilities, good ivs (up to 4 max) and higher EV yield from each mon

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I managed to find a shiny Rockruff in the wild which was amazing because I wanted Rockruff for my team anyway!

....until my Trumbeak managed to score a critical hit on it and knocked it out. *cries*

TheRealBro..

I managed to find a shiny Rockruff in the wild which was amazing because I wanted Rockruff for my team anyway!

....until my Trumbeak managed to score a critical hit on it and knocked it out. *cries*

Always carry False Swipe ;) Have to say I really like the calling for help thing. Nothing like chaining for days, building suspense (and frustration)

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Always carry False Swipe ;) Have to say I really like the calling for help thing. Nothing like chaining for days, building suspense (and frustration)

I'm not sure I had access to it then (or if I did I didn't have it :p), it was just at Ten Carat Hill when I first got access there (after defeating Hala). I'm tempted to try and find one once I've finished the game (but this time I'll make sure I don't knock it out)

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I made my first attempt at chaining yesterday, for the Crabrawler, and reached a little over 100, before running out of moves. A little annoying, but I'm definitely ready for round 2!

TheRealBro..

I'm not sure I had access to it then (or if I did I didn't have it :p), it was just at Ten Carat Hill when I first got access there (after defeating Hala). I'm tempted to try and find one once I've finished the game (but this time I'll make sure I don't knock it out)

Hm, yeah in that case it would be wise to wait with the chaining untill one has it. Critical hits are always there when you don't need them!

Beginning the chaining tonight myself (believe it or not, I actually thought about Wimpod for a second..) Wish me luck! Will post any results.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
I just managed to snag a shiny A-Ratticate since my EV training sessions are much longer without Pokerus and the Power items (can't afford them/I'm bad at the Battle Tree). I'm currently chaining Bounsweet but it's been almost 2 days with no success. At least I'm getting a ton of HP EVs.

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
I actually chained a shiny Mudsdale recently. Chaining has to be one of my favorite shiny methods since it's just so darn easy to do!