Writing The Randomizing: A Sapphire Nuzlocke Journal

OzoneFruit

Itz ya boi Goozma
Welp, I finally got a randomizer on my computer, and it's time to dive in! Welcome, to Jukebox's Randomized Sapphire Nuzlocke! My rules of this playthrough are pretty straightforward:

1. If it faints, it's boxed, and I can't use it anymore.
  2. I can't have two Pokémon of the same primary typing. For example, I can't have a Grimer and Zubat (Poison and Poison Flying), but I CAN have a Grimer and Tentacool (Poison and Water Poison)
  3. I can only catch the first Pokémon I see on a route. If I faint it, whoopsies, can't get another. However, if the Pokémon encountered is an evo/pre-evo of one I already have, I can keep looking.
That's pretty much it in terms of rules. Except there's a twist. I have completely randomized the encounters and Trainer Pokémon throughout the entire game. That means I can catch a Wailord in the desert, I can fish up a Slugma, and my Rival could start off with a Mewtwo and very much wreck me right off the bat. May the RNG be with me. So, let's get this show on the road!

Professor Birch fades in from the dark, with the classic intro and trumpets of Hoenn playing in the background.

"Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting!"

"No problem," my character says. "I'm excited to get started."

"This," Birch continues as he pulls out a Pokéball. "Is what we call a Pokémon."

"Oooh, what's inside?" I think. "Probably something like a Linoone, even with Randomizer it shouldn't be so --"

Out pops a Kyogre. *Spits Drink* BIRCH HOW DID YOU GET--

"So, are you a boy, or a girl?"

"I'm a guy, and my name is O.Z." I say flatly, still wrapping my head around the fact that the first I've been shown is the box art mascot...

"Ah, I see! You're O.Z., the kid who's moving into Littleroot! Your very own Pokémon adventure is about to unfold!"

Pew pew pew~ goes the sounds as my character shrinks down into the little cute sprite in the back of a probably very unsafe moving van. Seriously, who would want to stay back there?

I'm dreading the things to come. If the first Pokémon the Professor showed me was a Kyogre, I can only imagine what my Rivals will have...

Flutes and strings play in the background as I hop out of the van. Mom steps out of our new house.

"Hi O.Z.! This is our new home? It has this quaint feel, don't you think?"

"It's nice," I reply.

"Oh, go set your clock by the way honey!"

"Got it, mom." (Although I'm not really gonna need it considering the rom doesn't have an internal battery...)

A brief newsflash about my dad, and an even briefer intro to my Rival later, I hear the cry for help.

"HEEEEEEELLLLLPPP MEEEEEEEE"

Running out to Route 101, I see the Professor frantically running in circles, Poochyena hot on his trails. A minute later, he's cornered.

"You! Over there! In my bag, there's some Pokeballs!"

I rush over to the bag and the screen changes to show me my options. Let's see.... I have:

Gardevior --

Picking it.

Wait, what? You don't, even, want to, look at the other ones?
Nope, that's a solid starter, picking it.

... Your other choice was a Dewgong, and the other was --
Gardevoir. Now.

...Okay.
I face the growling Poochyena with a smile on my face. It doesn't know what it's in for. I throw my new partner out.

"GO, GARDEVOIR!"

A flash of light, and an elegant Gardevoir comes out, her arm raised, hands glowing with psychic power. She's ready to battle, no doubt about it.

"All right, Gardevoir, use--"

Wait. This is a Level 5 Gardevoir. It only knows Confusion. Poochyena is Dark-Type.

Uh oh.

NOTE: I should say that the Randomizer also mixed up Trainer titles, leading to some hilarious/surprising encounters.

-----

One Teleport later and I'm back in Birch's lab with a sheepish look on my face. Eheheheh, might've jumped the gun there with typing. But no matter, Melody the Gardevoir is now my starter, and she's awesome.

The Professor thanks me for my help, then makes a suggestion.

"Why don't you go talk to my kid May? She's on Route 103 right now studying Pokémon!"

"Sure, sounds good," I reply, ready to get out of the lab and get my Running Shoes so I can actually go places...

"Thanks mom!" I yell, sprinting through Route 101 to get to Odale (I actually didn't run into anything somehow). A kind store clerk gives me a Potion, and then it's off to Route 103 to see my Rival...

YOU ARE CHALLENGED BY ELITE FOUR JESSICA! Wait, what?

Elite Four Jessica sent out Dewgong! A blubbery unicorn seal pops out of its Pokéball.

"ARRF, ARRF," it goes, smiling obliviously at Melody.

"So that's where the Dewgong went. Glad I chose Gardevoir instead." I think. "Confusion!" The poor seal falls over in two hits.

"Wow, O.Z! You're really strong!" May remarks, looking at me in awe. "I mean, you just started, but that Pokémon already seems to like you a lot!"

I think it's because it's fully evolved already more than anything.... >_> I think to myself. But yeah, Melody is awesome.

May/E4 Jessica and I hop over the ledges back to Littleroot, where we I get a shiny new Pokédex, and May gives me some starting Pokeballs! Finally, the adventure begins for real! Time to catch me some Pokémon!

I happily head back out to Route 101 and step into the tall grass. Whatever comes our way, Melody, we'll be ready to--

WILD LUGIA APPEARED.

Last edited:
WELLLLL, as it turns out, in Gen 3, the only move Lugia can actually know at Level 3 is Whirlwind. Melody got in one little Confusion before we were quite literally blown away from the battle, and the Lugia went off laughing. So that's a missed opportunity on Route 101, and a Legendary no less. :(

I headed back to Route 103 afterwards and got better luck. I ran into a cute little Swinub in the tall grass! Noob Noob is now officially the second member to join the team, and he's a friendly little fella! Only knows Tackle at the moment, but he'll grow!

Route 102 was where we met Hellsting the Weedle. Sadly, we barely even got to know him, because a renegade Remoraid flopped its way into the tall grass and ate the poor bug the second he was sent out to meet the rest of the team. HE WAS TOO YOUNG TO DIE T_T Rest in piece, Hellsting, Lvl 3 to Lvl 3.
It seems the Youngsters have somehow developed a new fashion trend and all become Cool Trainers. Is it a new style of hat? A new type of shorts that are even comfier to wear? Who knows? But they've definitely upped their game! Cool Youngster Jimmy claimed to be a beginner just like me before promtply sending out a Jirachi that actually almost ended my journey right then and there. It was only due to Melody Double Teaming her way to victory that the Jirachi eventually ran out Confusions and stopped Rest-Wish spamming that it Struggled itself to death. That was a close call.

Bug Catchers aren't any slouchers either. They must be child prodigies or something because now they're all running around with the title of Doctor. Hooray for entomology! Less hooray when they have teams of three, four, or even six, and half of them are fully evolved mons (Hitmonlee, Heracross, and Pinsir to name a few) Thank Arceus Melody is also fully evolved. I don't know where I'd be without her.

Route 104 once again gave me a scenario where I didn't have a hope of catching my encounter. I faced a Scizor, and with only two Pokeballs, opportunity ran out quick. Melody fainted it in frustration. Oh, this smug rich-looking kid challenged me to a battle. He claimed to be wealthy, but was actually a "Servant". Still that Kabutops was no easy task. Thanks again, Melody, you're the best! Onto Petalburg woods!

Recap of Team: Melody the Gardevoir, Noob Noob the Swinub.
-----

Noob Noob had just learned Powder Snow prior to entering Petalburg Forest and got a *wee* bit too excited. He accidentally fainted a Natu that was hopping on the forest floor. Oh well. Melody is a much better Psychic Type than Totem Birb anyway.

Jeez, Bug Doctors are gonna be my new nightmare. Ran into one with a Sharpedo, Pinsir, Granbull, Vigoroth, Golbat, and Hitmonchan. Talk about being outnumbered. Melody and Noob Noob are getting overleveled from all this though XD.

I ran into this nervous-looking guy who claimed to be looking for Shroomish. He looked out of place in the forest with his business suit. Perhaps he was lost? Didn't have much time to ask, because this pirate chef marched up to the poor fella and tried to strongarm him into giving up his suitcase. That's right, a Pirate Chef. My first thought was "Holy Zubats, he's like those guys on the floating restaurant from that pirate anime!" But I had to quickly push those thoughts away. The businessman was freaking out; whatever was in that suitcase must have been important. The pirate chef said "Don't mess with Team Aqua!" What the heck is Team Aqua? Pirate Chefs sounds a whole lot cooler. I'm just gonna call you that.

Anywhozzles, Chef Katelyn sent out a Silcoon, which quickly got its mind zapped by Melody. The pirate chef ran off swearing revenge, and the businessman gave me a Great Ball in appreciation. Thanks dude! But I wonder what that pirate chef was actually up to...

I walked on through the forest. Saw a lot of other cool Pokémon like Cyndaquil, Blissey, and even an Espeon, but I have my rules. Only try to catch the first. You make better bonds that way.

Oooooo, I can see the clearing to Route 105! Onwards!

I'm beginning to think this whole randomizing thing hates me. Route 105 sent another Scizor my way, and while I was much more prepared with 20 Pokeballs and that new Great Ball, it broke free from all of them. This time, it was Swinub that froze the Scizor with Powder Snow before fainting it. Sigh...

We're in Rustboro City now though, the location of our first Gym Battle! But first, onto Route 116 just northeast of this place, to see if we can find any other new team members!

-----

Melody just fainted a Mawile. I think she was still mad about that Scizor. She feels bad about it now. I told her not to worry. Also, Hiker's are now calling their Trainer Class "Man". That got a laugh from all of us. "OHOHOHOHO, I'm a manly man, the manliest man in hiking! More manlier than a viking! More manlier than anyone biking! I'm the manliest man in the whole wide land, the manliest manly hiker!"

-----

Arceus is definitely not on my side in terms of giving me Pokémon I can actually catch. After 116, we headed into Rusturf Tunnel, the last place we could check out before the Gym. It was foggier than usual, almost more like thunderclouds actually. Then there was a flash of light, a resounding "CA-CAAAAW" and Zapdos appeared before us. My Pokéball supply is once again run dry, and my money is low. Time to face the Gym Leader!

Back