Discussion The Price of Standard

Blinkehyo

Aspiring Trainer
Is it me, or has the price of standard exponentially risen? I mean, before, Cynthia had a cost of around 4 bucks, but once rotation hit, it had risen to over 8 bucks and sat there for a while. It's gone down to around 7 bucks, but still, it's kinda crazy. If I'm not mistaken, N and Sycamore were only about 1-2 maybe even 3 bucks on a rainy day.

Then there's the staple cards in the set. Tapu Lele was around 31, now it's back up there after taking an express cruise to 20 dollars and staying around there for weeks. Oranguru (sum), a card only costing around 3.50 maybe has hopped up to an unreasonable 7.50. A crazy price increase that I don't even think Octillery had peaked at.
Shrine of punishment, Weavile, Shining Lugia, Shining Arceus, Full Art Lillie (wait why tho), Steven's Resolve, Guzma, ect

They've all seemed to gone up in price by a pretty wide margin and it kinda fustrates me that whenever I try to think of a deck I could build, it's much more pricey than it was weeks ago.

I understand the meta redefines the prices of these cards, but it's getting a bit too expensive to build a good deck lately. It's not just paying for your main attackers and a few lele anymore, it's the entire deck are gonna get ya for a few bucks each which adds up...

I dunno, maybe I'm just complaining over nothing, but surely someone understands how I feel?

TL;DR
Guy on the internet complains that playing a childrens card game competitively costs 5 more dollars than he wanted it to

I have also noticed this trend lately, i dont know why is this happening but i hope it stops, if i had to guess, it could be a post rotation effect, testing and playing a lot of different decks that need a lot.of different cards so people buy a lot of them, thus increasing the price, of course cards such as cynthia and shrine of punishments were expected to rise in price. Also as a side note, im pretty sure octillery peaked at 10-13$.

Well people do buy outs for one that raises the price for cards. Staple cards are often expensive and allot of the cards you mentioned are out of print so theres a lower amount that are actually for sale. Shining lugia for example is from a really expensive box. Also pokemon is no longer(or really ever) a children's game and now people get actual money from tournaments theres a wider about of people playing allot of whom are a cancer on our community but I digress. Just be glad that once you have bought the core trainers you can build most decks for allot cheaper where as if you were playing magic or yugioh you would have to spend a considerable amount more to change decks

Cynthia will continue to raise in price because the card isn't in print anymore. But I'll tell you how to get 2 for cheap in comparison: buy the Mach Strike theme deck.

Unless you pulled them, the Mach Strike theme deck was by far the best way to get them. Not only that but if you bought two, you were on your way to having a semi-decent deck.

Back