The OU Team Without a True Name

Inigo Montoya

Hatman/Imakuni?/Not Not-TDL
I made an interesting Agility-Metagross set earlier and I really wanted to try it out. So, I built a team around it and the result is pretty cool.

At a Glance
376.gif

Obviously, if I was going to build a team around Metagross, I should have it. It is one of the most powerful Pokemon in OU with a max Attack of 405. The only below average stat was his Speed, but with Agility, I had a feeling that he would be a powerful, speedy force.

609.gif
376.gif

I then had to counter what Metagross couldn't, a few main Pokemon being Ferrothorn and Jellicent. Chandelure was the man for the job, being a threat to these Pokemon. Add a Scarf to outspeed a whole lot more, and you had yourself one deadly Pokemon.

485.gif
609.gif
376.gif

At this point I realized I had no sure-fire counter to one of the most popular offensive threats in OU, Chandelure. I could counter with my own Chandelure, but what if it wins the speed tie or runs a Timid Nature instead? I thought for a while and finally my mind decided on one thing- Heatran. It would be Specially Bulky, giving it the win against Specially oriented Pokemon most of the time. This is one of the true counters to Chandelure, the only thing that would be effective is HP Ground.

485.gif
472.gif
609.gif
376.gif

I then realized that I had a HUGE Ground weakness, and my team would fall apart if it ran into a Sandstorm team. When I ran my Sand team, the one Pokemon that annoyed me the most was Gliscor. So, I put that on my team and it worked wonders against the sand, forcing several ragequits, not knowing how easy it would be to win after they took down Gliscor.

145.gif
485.gif
472.gif
609.gif
376.gif

I knew that the Ground weakness was still there, so another Flying type went onto the team. I would use one of the more popular spreads for Zapdos, giving it defensive capabilities. It's combination of T-Bolt and Heat Wave were hard to counter, and even though there was no Special Attack investment, it still does a respectable amount because of its natural stat.

620.gif
145.gif
485.gif
472.gif
609.gif
376.gif

Finally, a lead was in order. Since Stealth Rocks are already covered, I eliminated that requirement from the list. I decided upon one of my favorite Pokemon of the Gen, Mienshao. With great Attack and Speed stats, along with U-Turn and Regenerator, this thing is amazing. It gets rid of Ferrothorn in one blow, giving Metagross a huge boost from that.

620.gif
145.gif
485.gif
472.gif
640.gif
376.gif

The Ground weakness was really starting to come back and hurt me. I decided to try out a Pokemon I had never used before, that being Virizion. I didn't have a Grass or Fighting type, and it would definatly help me in the matchup against the rain. It was pretty strong, pretty fast, and had alright defenses. Virizion has been a great replacement for Chandelure.

In-Depth Look

620.gif

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
This is a very simple, yet effective set. Fake Out to break sashes/get extra damage, then Hi Jump Kick them if they're weak to it. If not, U-Turn out and let something else handle it. Stone Edge is to hit Flying types on the switch, along with predicted Chandelures that resist/are immune to the rest of the set. The EVs are fairly obvious, 252 Attack for max damage, and 252 Speed to be super fast. The reasoning on the 4 EVs in Sp.Def in contrast to putting them in HP or Defense, is to make sure that Genesect, a fairly common lead, does not get the Sp.Atk boost from Download. Jolly nature is used over Adamant is because his speed is lower compared to his Attack, and even without Adamant, he still hits 349 Attack.

145.gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Toxic
- Heat Wave
This set helps out a lot. The set is very defensively bulky. Thunderbolt hits those waters. Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn and Bug/Steels. Roost is to recover and take away the Rock and Ice weaknesses for a turn. Toxic is there to simply Toxic-stall opponents out.

485.gif

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
This is a rather unique set I found somewhere. Its a specially bulky Heatran that many don't expect. Flamethrower is for STAB. Stealth Rocks is because I don't have any entry hazards anywhere else. Toxic is to, again, Toxic-stall opponents out. Protect is to troll Hi Jump Kick users and stack Toxic damage. Protect also scouts moves and can see what move your opponent wants lock themselves into, if you suspect them of being Choiced in some way.

472.gif

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
This is Swords Dance Gliscor. It is also my main counter to stall, having Taunt and a Set-up move. Not many things resist the combo of Ground and Ice, and coming from a +2 Gliscor, it can be very scary if you can't combat it well. I'm using this set over the standard bulky one because I already had walls on both sides of the spectrum, Zapdos for Physical, and Heatran for Special. EQ is for STAB. Ice Fang is for the Dragons and other opposing Gliscor.

640.gif

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The replacement for Chandelure has worked out nicely. It definatly helps against the Rain and Sandstorm matchups, as well as taking Ground attacks much easier. It all around has better bulk and the set up is pretty nice. Giga Drain is the main form of recovery, also giving STAB. Focus Blast hit the steels who resist the Giga Drain, however much it may miss. Finally, HP Ice is to hit dragons and Gliscor really hard. Timid nature is used to be speedy, since you can boost your Special Attack. It may not be the bulkiest EV Spread, but it does get the job done.

376.gif

Metagross @ Life Orb
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
This is the team's central focus, setting up a Metagross sweep. The Max Attack is obvious, and the 88 Speed ensures that the only things that outspeed you after an Agility (not including Ubers) are Ninjask, Electrode, and Accelgor. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP for extra bulk. Iron Head is chosen over Meteor Mash for the extra Accuracy, and it gives you the chance of flinching. Earthquake is pretty standard for any Metagross, to cover those Steel types and stuff like that. The last slot is Ice Punch, to hit Dragons and Gliscor harder.

Team Strategy

First, you start with Mienshao. It is a very versitile lead, and it can switch out using U-Turn. Fake Out for damage, HJK to kill everything its Super Effective against. Once you're done wrecking havok, just U-Turn out and regain some HP on the way. Then just switch in the the appropriate counter. Whenever you see something that can threaten a Metagross sweep, eliminate it ASAP. Those would probably be Ferrothorns, Jellicents, Chandelures, Excadrill, etc. Heatran takes care of Ferrothorn and walls all Chandlure that don't carry HP Ground. Jellicents are taken on best by Zapdos, and Gliscor or Virizion can both take on Excadrill nicely. When you find a Pokemon easy to set up on, like a Chansey/Blissey, switch in Metagross, and Agility while they do whatever, probably switch. Then just sweep their team, because if you've beaten out those counters, there isn't much else that can stop you.

In my opinion, Chandelure is a bit out of place. It can't break the Ferro / Jellicent core very easily a all. Especially with no Shadow Tag. Instead, I would suggest trying out Virizion over it. It has very good synergy with Heatran, so it seems like it would fit a little better. Now, it also seems you have a little stall weakness. It is for this reason I suggest SD Taunt Gliscor. This is a rather good stall breaker and can still handle dangerous threats. I also suggest Meteor Mash over Iron Head. This will give a bit more power and chance to increase your attack too.

I'll rate a little more later.

I'm assuming drop Protect and Fling for SD and Taunt? Fling was replaced by Ice Fang. I'll try out Virizion, but on Meteor Mash, I tested it a bit when the team was first built, and it missed too much, almost like Focus Blast for me >.> So I just decided to go with Iron Head.

EDIT: Updated!

I really like this team. Really like it. I've used the cripple then sweep strategy several times, and I really like it. You've made a team with great synergy. The ONLY slight detail that may be a problem for you is Swampert. If Virizion is down, Swampert can make some quick work of this team. As a back up, I'd recommend HP Grass on Zapdos over Heat Wave, as you already have Heatran to murder Bug/Steels and Ferrothron. Other than that, I love the team, awesome work :D

The thing is, if I don't have Heat Wave, Things like Scizor will come in and Swords Dance up, Ferrothorn has tried to stack up entry hazards, along with Forretress, which they have all tried before. Swampert could be a problem, but it definatly isn't as common as Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. I'd like to keep Heat Wave, and most of the time, if they have the Swampert, they'll switch out to it once of twice before he attempts to sweep because the thing is bulky and can take hits for others. And most of the time for me, unless I'm facing a Sandstorm or Rain team, Virizion doen't come in until close to the end.

Have you ever thought about magnet rise for Metagross? It completly eliminates it's ground weakness for five turns. Though if you don't like magnet rise you could always give it a balloon.

1. I have never, EVER, seen Magnet Rise used competitively.
2. There are still plenty of fire moves.
3. What would I replace it with? If I take away ANY of my moves I lose severe type coverage.
4. Life Orb nets me too many KOs to change the item. Air Balloon would be somewhat helpful, but Life Orb outranks it.

Back