The Next Pokémon Game - Rainbow?

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Hey all! Interesting news that I just found out about moments ago. That said, I'm regarding this as speculation for now, but here goes.

A source and member on NeoGaf, which also has a channel on Youtube, has gotten hold of the nearby future plans from a source of his, that concerns releases for the 3DS. Among them, is the Pokémon Game that is stated to be released this year during Pokémon's 20 year aniversary.

According to information I both read and watched, this particular game is said to have the biggest budget given to it, and is given the name "Pokémon Niji". Yes, not "Z", but "Niji". This word in particular translates to the english word "Rainbow", thus it could mean "Pokémon Rainbow". However, this could be nothing though, other than just a code name.

Regardless, it seems like GF just threw another twist into the story, and kept to their word of not going with a predictable name, such as Pokémon Z. Now again, this could just be a codename of course, but I thought to post this as a new thread due to this revelation and because it happens to have the biggest budget.

Some people on NeoGaf themselves are skeptical and regard this as not true, as the name "Rainbow" has been used to hype up a fake leak way back in 2013 before, hence the skeptism.

That is all I have come to read about for now, but it looks like, if things pan out well, that Mitja's theory of this being a Gen 7 game could be true, but blown up in size, due to having the biggest budget of all 3ds games that are to be released on the system this year. Regardless, I think its safe to say that this the swan song for the 3DS.

What are your personal thoughts about this?

Update: Its been confirmed that codename "Niji" for the Pokémon aniversary game is Pokémon Sun and Moon. They're the start of a new generation, marking the entry of Gen 7.

Last edited:
Like I do with practically everyone who claims to have "information" from a "source" from "Nintendo", I'm taking this video with an entire ocean full of salt. If you're just interested in what he says about the Pokémon game, skip to a bit after 6:00, or you can see the article here.

Not really much information revealed aside from the name, anyway, but it could be pretty cool. If we're not seeing a release until Autumn/Holiday, then it probably is a larger game than people might have expected.

Honestly I'd be disappointed if it didn't have a higher budget than XY and ORAS. Those games feel cheap and half-completed, so it's no surprise that they realised they have to actually hand out another game of quality at some point. The time taken to release Z is making me very hopeful for it to have had good time and monetary investment.

This rumour is definitely false, though. Pokémon Rainbow sounds like the game GF would use to end the series if that time ever comes, and that time definitely isn't this next release. If they can't provide video footage of anything to do with the game, it's not legit, and even then it can be faked.

Honestly I'd be disappointed if it didn't have a higher budget than XY and ORAS. Those games feel cheap and half-completed, so it's no surprise that they realised they have to actually hand out another game of quality at some point. The time taken to release Z is making me very hopeful for it to have had good time and monetary investment.

This rumour is definitely false, though. Pokémon Rainbow sounds like the game GF would use to end the series if that time ever comes, and that time definitely isn't this next release. If they can't provide video footage of anything to do with the game, it's not legit, and even then it can be faked.

Yeah, you could be right about the second part. The name "Niji/Rainbow" may just a simple code name for the upcoming 20th Aniversary Pokemon game that is highly likely to be Z or XYZ, whatever the game gets called.

What strikes me though the most, is that Rainbow could actually make a lot of sense, mainly due to the fact that Pokémon X and Y reference Norse Mythology via the Legendaries representing a Bird, Deer and Snake respectively, major figures in Norse Mythology. Rainbow in addition, could refer to the Rainbow Bridge - Bifrost, and perhaps serves as the connection that bridges Life, Destruction and Order together. There's also the notice that the Mega Evolution symbol is rainbow colored.

That said, the only thing for sure now, is that the game has a high budget allocated to it. Whether the actual name is fake or not, remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Wow! It would be cool if we got more Norse Mythology inspired Pokémon in the next game(s)...!
We've got ravens (Hugin & Munin), wolves (Gere & Freke (Odin's wolves) and The Fenris Wolf), goat (Heidrun), squirrel (Ratatosk), and a whole lot more. :D

The idea sounds interesting; but until its confirmed or denied; it's just a really interesting sounding game speculation.

The idea sounds interesting; but until its confirmed or denied; it's just a really interesting sounding game speculation.

Yep, its just speculation. Never said the idea itself was fact, other than being a interesting thought on my mind. But if the game ended up being called Rainbow (or Rainbow X, Y, XYZ, etc, etc), it would only connect more with Norse mythology, if not deeper.

I'm a little skeptical of this theory. The lineup itself seems realistic, it's not a loaded fan wishlist like some rumored lineups are, but there's a couple of problems I see with the lineup. First of all, they have a lot of codenames for new titles. I wouldn't think that in the 2-3 years they've been in development they still have no idea what these games are called. Second, like @Celever said, the codename Rainbow sounds more like the name for the final game in the series and it's extremely unlikely that this series is over. Unless the codename has something to do with Zygarde Complete in which case the game would be Z. But then again, IDK why they wouldn't just call it Z in that case.

I'm a little skeptical of this theory. The lineup itself seems realistic, it's not a loaded fan wishlist like some rumored lineups are, but there's a couple of problems I see with the lineup. First of all, they have a lot of codenames for new titles. I wouldn't think that in the 2-3 years they've been in development they still have no idea what these games are called. Second, like @Celever said, the codename Rainbow sounds more like the name for the final game in the series and it's extremely unlikely that this series is over. Unless the codename has something to do with Zygarde Complete in which case the game would be Z. But then again, IDK why they wouldn't just call it Z in that case.

For the last part of why they're not calling the game "Z", is the same reasoning they didn't make the game "Pokémon Grey" as many people speculated, hoped and were sure it was going happen in Gen 5. Instead we got sequels in the form of "Pokémon Black 2 and White 2", something no one predicted.

It should be made clear, however, that the word "Niji" is the codename, not its respective translation, meaning its not codenamed "Rainbow" literally in the report. The codename just happens to be the japanese word that translates to the word "Rainbow". Whether it could be called "Rainbow" or not in the final version, I honestly don't know. Also, no one knows what GF will decide to do in terms of names. In the end, one should always expect the unexpected lately with GF. When any of the fandom tries to predict something and think they got it correct, in the end, GF pulls the rug from underneath their feet and comes with something completely unexpected.

That said, as to be safe in my predictions, my two cents will still be on the title of Pokémon XYZ....but if the word "Rainbow" does get used, I'd go with the name "Rainbow Z", which in turn is kind of a cool name on itself, instead of just "Z" or "Rainbow" seperately. But that is just my personal preference.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm not digging right now is the name. Pokemon Rainbow. It's an okay name, but it feels like it should be paired with another game, with another "weather-related" title or something along the lines of "Rainbow".

The only thing I'm not digging right now is the name. Pokemon Rainbow. It's an okay name, but it feels like it should be paired with another game, with another "weather-related" title or something along the lines of "Rainbow".

Would the name "Pokémon Rainbow Z" be better? It sounds better to me personally, and its unique, while still matching the commonly predicted "Z" name in some way. But that's just my two cents.

Could leave with "Rainbow Z" by itself I find both the names sorta cringe worthy (Z due to the way a lot of people mispronounce it, Rainbow for obvious reasons) but "Rainbow Z" sounds a lot less stupid to me.
Well I'd love to have some new pokemon by fall, so I'd be happy for a new game to be released.

From info given, I say that sounds like 1st gen standards: No special defense, no attack classifications, no breeding, no Dark, Steel, or Fairy-types...

If this is a revisit of Kalos, if above is true, I'd say the day care is closed, no kalos until post-E4+Champ(great. More 16-badge shenanigans... :( ), Fairy replaced by Normal, Steel replaced by Rock, and Dark replaced by Ghost(for this game), incompatability w/ XYORAS due to the type changing and attack classification mechanic abandonment, but compatable w/ Bank in its own way, meaning another Poke Transporter nescessary for this game in order to use XYORAS-caught pokemon in converted form in this game(this time needed to complete the National Dex, as this is only one version: how can you fit 720+ pokemon as obtainable in one game w/o the need to trade or transfer pokemon from past games into it, especially w/o the aid of Iwata's magic?), but as a result, this is 1st gen mechs redux minus specie count, which could increase as a result of mechanic reversion(to 1st gen-standards), as mechanic changes this late in the generation could justify the increase in pokemon species, especially if this game is a new gen gone one-off...

^ But given the reversion, if and when it happens, I wonder if the anime will not carry over to this game. After all, there's no going back on all fronts, is there??? If the anime doesn't carry over, and ends upon the release of this game, the pokemon franchise will have to do with games-and-cards only after the conclusion of XYZ... Hope that isn't true, as in my opinion, the news regarding possible mechs reversion of the drastic scale isn't the definition of normal for pokemon, especially if it is true sans the bottom details, which are false in the day those statements originated, especially the "PokeGods" part... :(

Last edited:
From info given, I say that sounds like 1st gen standards: No special defense, no attack classifications, no breeding, no Dark, Steel, or Fairy-types...

If this is a revisit of Kalos, if above is true, I'd say the day care is closed, no kalos until post-E4+Champ(great. More 16-badge shenanigans... :( ), Fairy replaced by Normal, Steel replaced by Rock, and Dark replaced by Ghost(for this game), incompatability w/ XYORAS due to the type changing and attack classification mechanic abandonment, but compatable w/ Bank in its own way, meaning another PokeTransporter nescessary for this game in order to use XYORAS-caught pokemon in converted form in this game(this time needed to complete the National Dex, as this is only one version: how can you fit 720+ pokemon as obtainable in one game w/o the need to trade or transfer pokemon from past games into it?), but as a result, this is 1st gen mechs redux minus specie count, which could increase as a result of mechs reversion(to 1st gen-standards), as mech changes this late in the generation could justify the increase in pokemon species, especially if this game is a new gen gone one-off...

^ But given the reversion, I wonder if the anime will not carry over to this game. After all, there's no going back on all fronts, is there??? If the anime doesn't carry over, and ends upon the release of this game, the pokemon franchise will have to do with games-and-cards only after the conclusion of XYZ... Hope that isn't true, as in my opinion, the news regarding possible mechs reversion of the drastic scale isn't the definition of normal for pokemon, especially if it is true sans the bottom details, which are false in the day those statements originated, especially the "PokeGods" part... :(

Do you meant the news about the next pokemon game in the news section? That's a satirical article about the very first Pokemon (RGBY) being re-released on virtual console this Saturday (making them technical the 'next' pokemon games)
No need to worry the next completely new pokemon game (be it Rainbow, Z, or something else) will feature the Fairy, Steel and Dark types, will have breading, will have special defense and athe attack classification.

Again the article is solely about the virtual console rereleases of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.

Do you meant the news about the next pokemon game in the news section? That's a satirical article about the very first Pokemon (RGBY) being re-released on virtual console this Saturday (making them technical the 'next' pokemon games)
No need to worry the next completely new pokemon game (be it Rainbow, Z, or something else) will feature the Fairy, Steel and Dark types, will have breading, will have special defense and athe attack classification.

Again the article is solely about the virtual console rereleases of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.

I meant that, yes, but what I'm saying is, if they do pull a 1st-gen-Kalos mix in game mechanic terms, THAT would imply a shocking, drastic development that could signal not only a mechanic reversion that will make XYORAS incompatible w/ Gen 6.5(7?), but a games-and-cards only(plus associated merchandise) pokemon franchise post-XYZ anime too, as that implies a reboot that would justify removing the anime-games tie-in by retiring the anime and focusing on the games and cards part of the franchise, even if that means the games and cards divisions are still active even after the anime ends(Meaning no more new pokemon movies as well...), and as much as I like the games as well as cards, as I like movies too, it would be no wonder that would be such drastic news indeed should they pull an inferior 1st gen-Kalos mix game...

^ I would be glad if Nintendo doesn't confirm almost all of the insider's fine points(if you count the "Pokegods" part) as the actual contents of the next main game after the RBY 3DS ports(or the game after the ones that will be released on Saturday) on Friday... For the sake of the series...

^ EDIT: Above is just my take on a scare that I think is not likely to become reality anyway... But what if it does? Waiting until Friday to find out for sure, while expecting a game that does not signal such drastic changes, but until then...

Last edited:
Anyone know if Masuda has been on any big vacations recently? Since that seems to be an indicator for setting

Man, them rainbow flowers are at it again. When will those flowers learn? Flowers can be so silly.

To be real though, I doubt this news greatly because I'm failing to see the connections between rainbows and the hint we already received last year: Flowers.

Last edited:
Man, them rainbow flowers are at it again. When will those flowers learn? Flowers can be so silly.

To be real though, I doubt this news greatly because I'm failing to see the connections between rainbows and the hint we already received last year: Flowers.

I will just leave this here for a easy, singular way to understand why the word "Rainbow" could be included in the title and why it could have a connection with the 6th Gen games. Of course, this being a speculation thread and all, this is not fact of any sorts. Just something to give the idea alone a good thought and why it technically could make sense. Explanation further below:
latest

Main Reason: 6th Gen Games are highly inspired by Norse Mythology.

First off, the respective Legendaries are/may be based on a deer, bird and dragon/serpent respectively, all three species which are heavily featured in Norse Mythology.

Starting off with Yveltal, its/may be inspired by the giant eagle named Hræsvelgr (Old Norse "Corpse Swallower") who sits at the end of the world, as well Veðrfölnir, the hawk that is perched on top of the tree, resting in between the eyes of a unnamed eagle. In addition, the first name, meaning "Corpse Swallower" and all, may reference Yveltal's signature attack "Oblivion Wing", in which it takes and swallows the life-force of all living things, technically leaving corpses behind.

Going to Xerneas, its/may be inspired by the Stag named Eikþyrnir (Old Norse "oak-thorny") as well the Four Stags named Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór, whose symbolism can likely be found back to the four pairs of antlers found on his head. In turn, Xerneas's dormant tree form may be based on Yggdrasil itself, otherwise the Tree of Life, and Xerneas is known as the Life Pokémon. In addition, Eikþyrnir resides in Valhalla eating the foliage of Læraðr with glowing horns that drip with dew, which could refer to the feature of Xerneas's horns, which also glow, but with seven colors, which may refer to a rainbow theme, as rainbows consist of seven colors.

Finally, with Zygarde, he may/or mostly represents the land dragon Niohoggr, who chews on the roots of Yggdrasil, explaining why Zygarde is typed as "Dragon/Ground" type. Being a serpent in his 50% Form, may also indicate he's taken inspiration from Jorgurmand, the World Serpent. For his 10% Form, he's commonly associated with Fenrir, the monstrous wolf, but could also be based on Garmr, the dog of Hel and who guards Hel's gate. In its full 100% complete form, Zygarde Perfect Forme may represent Hel herself, as she's the goddess of life and death, and Zygarde Perfect Forme seems to embody both these concepts in some way, being the Order Pokémon and all.

Lastly, the Rainbow theme, if there is one for the third game/set of games, may be inspired by Bifrost, the legendary Rainbow Bridge that is said to connect Migard with Asgard. The bridge in theme, as form of my own speculation, could be used to form a stable connection between life, death and order, with the bridge representing Order itself and the balance/path between life and death. In addition to this, the Mega Evolution symbol is commonly rainbow-colored, not to say that the ME concept originated first within the Gen 6 games, starting from X and Y, before going to ORAS. One could say the Rainbow Bridge could be there to connect the two pairs of games with its concept of Mega Evolution.

Adding further to the rainbow bridge connection of Midgard and Asgard, Zygarde's new attacks: Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows, may represent both these realms respectively. Thousand Waves references the earthly land of Midgard (Earth) in which Zygarde keeps its targets trapped to the earthly surface, with Thousand Arrows referencing the heavenly Asgard (sky), and its ability to reach any airborne targets and make them drop to the surface despite being Ground-type, which normally can't affect Flying Type Pokémon. Technically, you could say that Zygarde himself could represent the Rainbow Bridge in question, being both land-bound, yet can also reach the flying enemies of the sky with his Thousand Arrows attack.

What the third game may ever be called (Z, XYZ or even my own guess for Rainbow Z), I'd expect more inspired elements taken from, or reference Norse Mythology somewhere. The Flowers comment in turn, made by Ken Sugimori, may not specifically hint to Gen 6, but rather hint to a future Gen 7, as he was talking about the future, but I could be wrong in this.

Aside that, as to add more potential elements of Norse Mythology representing Gen 6, here are some other speculations, namely referring to some of the Nine Worlds of Yggdrasil:

Midgard:
May represent the entirety of Poké-Earth, or perhaps the Kalos Region alone, depending on your personal definition.

Asgard:
Could represent the Kalos Region in terms with the War that supposedly happened 3000 years ago with a neighboring region.

Hel:
The underworld realm of the same named goddess of death and life, which could refer to Zygarde's underground location in Terminus Cave. The name "Terminus" in turn refers to a end point of something, such as the end point of life and death, representing both aspects equally.

Niflheim:
In terms of Gen 6, this could be a slight nod to the final gym within the Kalos Region, that being Snowbelle City, which is winter-themed. In addition, Wulfric, whose name which sounds Norse like, may represent Odin himself in some way, or perhaps representing the mythical frost giants, either role representing the status of why Wulfric is the last, and potentially the most powerful, if not the largest build Gym Leader of all in Kalos.

Alfheim:
Described as the Land Of The Fairies, it pretty much represents Laverre City, and its Gym, which specializes in the Fairy-Type. Its Gym leader - Valerie, is pretty much dressed like a fairy too.

Muspelheim:
Doesn't actually refer to the world of Fire and Lava perse, but rather, surprisingly may refer to the villain team in Gen 6, that being Team Flare. The existence of Team Flare may also connect somewhat to Bifrost, which is described to be a "burning" rainbow bridge, again, giving the rainbow theme additional relevance. In addition, Team Flare's leader, Lysandre, with its cooky hair style and all, may represent the Fire Giant - Surtr. In turn, the Elite Four member - Malva, being a former Team Flare operative, could be represented as Sinmara, the consort of Surtr, reflecting the possibility that Malva and Lysandre are romantically involved or having a romantic thing going on.

The other three left-over worlds of Jötunheimr, Niðavellir, Vanaheimr I'm not sure of, but may play a role within the soon-to-be announced game/games that will finalize and finish the Kalos Region completely. There's one interesting speculation to note though, in which Niðavellir, otherwise known as the Land of Darkness, may be a new city representing the Dark-type (that is if there's truly a new region starring). If so, this could result in the widely asked/requested Dark-type Gym maybe?

Finally, rounding off the inspirations of Norse Mythology to the Kalos Region, the legendary Ragnarok could be a reference to the War that happened between Kalos and another region that happened 3000 years ago.

And that is pretty much it when it comes to connections to Norse Mythology. In the end, however, this is still all speculation, and not fact, so don't take this too seriously. Hope you enjoyed my take on this.

Last edited:
Random silly theory I have about the actual game titles:

Pokemon B and Pokemon C.

The logic being as follows:
-gen6 had X&Y mascots
-there is a third Z-legendary
-XYZ are the final 3 letters of the alphabet
-RS-remakes are filler-nostalgia-milking between XY and their "conclusion"
-the remakes have the first and last greek letters in their titles, alpha and omega
-so if XY is the end, ORAS are beginning and end, then after them comes "the beginning"
-the first 3 letters are ABC
-mirroring XYZ-legendaries, the A-legendary would be the non-mascot of the trio
-which leaves us with a B and a C mascot

LOL

then make those three "white" where the XYZ ones are "black" and make them all related somehow and there we go.

But don't take this one seriously (unlike my "xy-sequels ARE gen7" prediction, which I'm fully convinced about)

Random silly theory I have about the actual game titles:

Pokemon B and Pokemon C.

The logic being as follows:
-gen6 had X&Y mascots
-there is a third Z-legendary
-XYZ are the final 3 letters of the alphabet
-RS-remakes are filler-nostalgia-milking between XY and their "conclusion"
-the remakes have the first and last greek letters in their titles, alpha and omega
-so if XY is the end, ORAS are beginning and end, then after them comes "the beginning"
-the first 3 letters are ABC
-mirroring XYZ-legendaries, the A-legendary would be the non-mascot of the trio
-which leaves us with a B and a C mascot

LOL

then make those three "white" where the XYZ ones are "black" and make them all related somehow and there we go.

But don't take this one seriously (unlike my "xy-sequels ARE gen7" prediction, which I'm fully convinced about)

That's pretty funny and random as heck, LOL. Who knows, it could happen. GF are unpredictable after all.

Update: Looks like there's no Z coming, or XYZ, Rainbow Z, or even anything related to Zygarde. Or it appears to be so. Go here for further info

Last edited:
Back