OU: Strategy The Most Dominant Pokemon in Competitive Gaming

bacon

!!!!!
ITT we look back at previous generations and metagames, and speculate about the most absolutely, hideously, absurdly overpowered Pokemon for its environment.

Pokemon who were suspect tested and later banned can count towards an OU metagame because they existed in that meta for some period of time. However, I could not propose Arceus in DPPt OU because that never happened. I could, however, propose Arceus in DPPt Ubers.

Make sense? Cool dude.

Remember: The BEST.

I will ban Mewtwo in RBY ubers from this discussion though lol

RE: The Best Mon Ever

Maybe not the most overpowered but certainly one of the most interesting. Garchomp in DP OU. Completely centralizing, versatile, and it forced its way into nearly every competitive team through its sheer combination of stats, typing, and moves.

^ Probably one of the most controversial bans too. Not that Garchomp wasn't broken (it was), but this was a time before people were really familiar with suspect tests and the general playerbase was less skilled. Even now, I still hear the echos of "But Weavile revenge kills!!!!!!!" in my head. It was probably the most monumental ban I can think of.

IIRC, Skymin was breifly tested in OU? I guess that gets my vote. The sub-seed set was impossible to deal with. The only responses to Skymin I can think of must have been specially defensive Skarm, Inner Focus Dragonite and Inner Focus Crobat.

What about Snorlax in GSC? Its Curse set was undoubtedly the most terrifying thing in the Gen. With its solid defense and offense, there really wasn't anything that could stop it.

And I will propose Kyogre for BW Ubers. With weather being as dominant as it was, Kyogre was literally the king of Ubers. No serious Ubers team could be made without having a counter to Kyogre (or check in the case of SpecsOgre, literally the strongest Pokemon ever under rain). Entire teams were built around Kyogre, and just as many used it on its own. Nothing could match its power or versatility.

Garchomp even in today's metagame is still somewhat broken. It's at the point where unless you have a 31 IV in Special Attack on your Latios, you can't OHKO it with Dragonpulse, making Latios players need to tech in Draco meteor, which for every other matchup is a dead move.

Nah...

The speed creep hasn't been kind to Chomp. Back in DPPt 102 was incredibly trollish, but now it's somewhat average for a sweeper. Its choice set is also less spammable as both STABs now have full immunities. Also note that one of the things which tipped Chomp over the edge, Sand Veil, is no longer as relevant.

Chomp will always be good, but broken it ain't.

Hmmm... I've stopped playing the video games as competitively (at one point I was I wanted to get more into it, and I still do, but I'm not sure yet if competitive battling is my thing yet), so obviously I haven't kept up with that sort of stuff.

If I can't say RBY Mewtwo, I'll have to say GSC Snorlax.

You are REQUIRED to play it to have a competitive GSC OU team.

Back