• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Man, the Myth, the Legend (Volcanion-EX/Turtonator-GX)

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Hi, I have wanted to build a Volc deck for a while now and I finaly have the stuff to build one, so here's the list:

Pokemon: 15

4x Volcanion EX (STS)
3x Volcanion (STS)
2x Turtanator GX (GRI)
2x Octillery (BTH)
2x Remoraid (BTH)
2x Tapu Lele GX (GRI)

Trainers: 33

3x Professor Sycamore (BP)
3x N (FCO)
3x Guzma (BUS)
1x Fisherman (BTH)
1x Pokemon Ranger (STS)

4x Ultra Ball (SUM)
4x Max Elixir (BP)
1x Field Blower (GRI)
1x Super Rod (BTH)
1x Energy Retrieval (SUM)
1x Professor's Letter (BTH)

2x Choice Band (GRI)
2x Fighting Fury Belt (BP)
3x Float Stone (BTH)

3x Brooklet Hill (GRI)

Energy: 12

12x Fire Energy

This deck is an interesting creation that I made. I play Octillery instead of Oranguru because Octillery draws you more cards, and even though you can easily get your hand down to Zero, Octillery still draws you an Extra 2 cards at the cost of being a stage 1 that evolves from a basic that can be searched out with Brooklet Hill. I play the cards like Fisherman and Energy Retrieval to energy from the discard into my hand to use multiple "Seam Ups" per turn and attach energy to my Volcs.

If you didn't know, the main strategy is to:

1. Get a Baby Volc in the active with an energy attached
2. Get 2 Volc EXs on the bench using Brooklet hill
3. Steam Up with both Volcs and accelerate energy with Baby volc onto your Volc EX
4. Repeat while getting more energy on the field with Max Elixirs
5. While doing all of this try to get an Octillery set up to help draw the stuff you need
6. Attack with Volc EXs when powered up while using steam ups to
7. If you run out of most of your energy late game, use Turtinator GX's GX attack to get 5 energy from the discard onto your field

I think this deck is pretty good, and the only thing I am not sure about is the 2-2 split of FFBs and Choice bands, and if I should keep the split, play all choice bands, or play 3 FFBs and 1 Choice band.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!!! :)

-Biffthepotato

The man, the myth...

THE ROTATING THIS AUGUST!

Despite the card sadly rotating, your list is solid.

I would look at getting a dawn wings necrozma gx. With a float stone he can use his Invasion ability to jump to active and retreat into any Pokémon you want giving you effectively a free switch every turn

I don’t like Dawn wings Necrozma because it’s a free 2 prizes for Zoroark GX at any time in the game that your opponent has a Guzma

True, but I just am not the biggest fan of teching in DW Necrozma just to switch into whatever you want, even though it resets Volc's attack, I have Guzma for that. Even if I did add DW Necrozma, what would I take out???

True, but I just am not the biggest fan of teching in DW Necrozma just to switch into whatever you want, even though it resets Volc's attack, I have Guzma for that. Even if I did add DW Necrozma, what would I take out???
ranger sense it does that job for you and ranger sucks as a one off without vs seeker anyway

Hey, I haven't played a ton of volc, but I throw in my 2 cents when it comes to general deck building.

1. First of all, regardless of what's been said above, the fact that you're not re-inventing the wheel with this list is a good thing. Any competitive player will tell you that meta decks are meta for a reason...namely, they are inherently very powerful, and have a great chance of running over whatever pet deck 99% of self-proclaimed "innovative" players might bring to a tournament.

2. Draw engine is solid, personally I love 2/2 octillery in pretty much any non-zoroark deck at the moment, especially when you combo it w/ brooklet hill. Personally, I wouldn't change this, however I think it might be worthwhile play devil's advocate for minute here. Sometimes this deck needs a little extra juice to get going, and octillery can't ever help you on that oh so important turn 1. Since you plan on being aggressive and taking early prizes, might be worth testing a 1/1 octillery and 1 oranguru to possibly grab you a few extra cards early game? Oranguru also provides a bit of extra insurance against any troll baby ninetales you might randomly run into.

3. I'll quibble with your supporter counts. As an aggressive deck that has very few cards that can't be immediately played or discarded without regret, I'd max out the sycamore count to 4. N is a great card (especially when you have octillery out), but doesn't necessarily complement the nature of the deck. Last thing you want to do is take a few early prizes, then be forced to N yourself to 3/4 cards before you get abyssal hand online. I'd drop N to 2 and add a cynthia or two for extra midgame consistency. Lastly, guzma is incredible in this deck, and its one of the few current archetypes where I wouldn't hesitate to run 4. With 3 float stone, a 4th copy of guzma (or a pal pad to recycle them) is just plain better than your ranger.

4. As far as energy retrieval, I've seen people run a thin starmie line, which has its merits and a nice synergy with your 3 brooklet hill. Fisherman is a pretty good card, but personally, I'd rather use my supporter to draw cards or target down enemy lele's or other easy targets in the mid/late game. So I'd swap it out for either a 1/1 starmie line or an extra energy retrieval.

5. For tools, I think splitting fury belt and choice band is fine. FFB is really annoying for a lot of decks to deal with, and still helps you hit a lot of odd numbers (170 on lele, 230 on gardy, etc.). Choice band is great for KO'ing 200/210 HP stage 1 Gx's with one less steam up, as well as helping you 2 shot Gx's with power heater while setting up. Since guzma is your main source of mobility, keep at least 2 float stone. Might be worth taking one out for a switch/escape rope in case you attach a tool to a volcanion Ex early and your opponent tries to guzma stall you.

So to summarize:
+1 sycamore, +1 guzma, +1 cynthia, -2 N, -1 fisherman, -1 ranger
+1 energy retrieval, +1 escape rope, -1 float stone

You're right, it's so awful that someone is making a deck they want to play /sarcasm

Just pointing out that there is probably over 10 posts talking about Volcanion-Ex decks with almost the exact same list. Fine if he enjoys playing Volcanion-Ex, i am happy for him.

That deck i am so proud of made me win 13 out of the 15 last games i played loosing only 1 time against Zoroark-Gx/Sky Field and once to a bad draw against Nightmarch. It evolves and adapts and is always so much more enjoyable to play than any other decks. No one will ever give me credit for it. Fine, i will just keep on winning. Proved everyone i played against what the deck was capable of. Thinking out of the box and being imaginative is way more rewarding than playing the same exact list everyone plays.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Latias-EX PLF 85
* 1 Comfey GRI 93
* 1 Buzzwole-GX CIN 104
* 1 Machamp-EX AOR 90
* 1 Regirock PR-XY XY49
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Entei-GX SLG 10
* 1 Pheromosa-GX UPR 140
* 1 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 110
* 1 Mewtwo-GX SLG 39
* 1 Shining Mew SLG 40
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Unown AOR 30
* 1 Glaceon-EX FCO 20

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Mallow GRI 127​
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Scramble Switch PLS 129
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Korrina FFI 95
* 1 Colress PLS 135
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 3 Ninja Boy STS 103
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 1 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Pokémon Communication BLW 99
* 1 Wide Lens ROS 95

##Energy - 10

* 2 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Prism Energy NXD 93
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Thanks @KK-Swizzle I will make/test most of the changes that you made for my list, and I will test the DW Necrozma (taking out the Pokémon Ranger) because it might be ok.

I will report back later to see how these changes work out, thanks!!!

Back