The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

masterryanx

N
Early this morning during Nintendo's GDC keynote speech, Iwata revealed a new Zelda title (among other things) to the public. The game is tentatively titled The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and is slated to be out on the DS by the end of the year. The 'Tracks' portion of the title derives from Link being the conductor of a train with a mounted canon, the game seems to play a lot like Phantom Hourglass.

You can check out a recording of the GDC trailer here.

EDIT: High quality versions of the trailer are starting to surface. You can find one here or on the Wii's Nintendo Channel.

meowth14

Meowth, that's right!
Lol, I was just about to make a thread about this! :p
Looks like a great game. I can't wait for it to come out!
I liked Phantom Hourglass a lot, except for the Temple of the Ocean King. It was annoying having to go through that place several times throughout the game. Hopefuly Spirit Tracks won't have something like that in it.

Shade Daroach

Ninja'd to the thread too.

I'm not sure what time make of this. The dungeons look AWESOME, but the train...
Don't get me started on the train uniform. I will burn that thing.
The Leaf object looks pretty cool.

FireMeowth

filthy shipping trash
That train uniform is smexy. :3
...And trains > boats/horses/jetplanes/whatever.

Spacegoat I want this game! D:

Shade Daroach

The Beetle boss looks really cool. But by the first temple you are able to control the Phantom Guard, have a boomerang and the Lea weapon? Seems like they shoved everything into this. Oh and yay for the return of Mini bosses :D

FireMeowth

filthy shipping trash
I don't really think everything of that is in the first temple. They might just've avoided the Heart Containers to trick us. x3

Dark Marc

is the name of my Lickilicky, not me <3
Is this just liek a train game xD

Yes the Temple of the Ocean king was so annoying to get through, just to let you know I only need the golden wheel?

So is this game just where you Link and you have to drive a Train O_O!

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
Zelda actually being Zelda? Does that mean this is not Wind Waker Link?

Anyhow, I loved the PH engine, so all that's left is an epic storyline and good world design and we're set. I'm quite surprised to see this game popping up before Zelda Wii, though. Although the release of multiple Zelda games was hinted before, I guess we were all expecting the Wii version to be out 1st (although I can imagine that one being way harder to make).

Oh well, I'm hyped :D

Shade Daroach

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
Zelda actually being Zelda? Does that mean this is not Wind Waker Link?

Anyhow, I loved the PH engine, so all that's left is an epic storyline and good world design and we're set. I'm quite surprised to see this game popping up before Zelda Wii, though. Although the release of multiple Zelda games was hinted before, I guess we were all expecting the Wii version to be out 1st (although I can imagine that one being way harder to make).

Oh well, I'm hyped :D

It's basiclly a filler game until we they can release the new Wii Zelda. Meaning they must be working extra hard to not make a TP 2.0. Doesn't stop this from being a good game though.

Guess on the Link:
This is set after PH but not with the WW Link. Somehow Link and Tetra find the land and it gets civilized and etc. 1000 years later new Link shows up.

I'm going with Greenies for the bad guys. Burning coal is bad XD
Thomas the Tank engine

SixaxiS

I'm more special than you!!!
Shade Daroach said:
It's basiclly a filler game until we they can release the new Wii Zelda. Meaning they must be working extra hard to not make a TP 2.0. Doesn't stop this from being a good game though.

You do know the new Wii game isn't a sequel to TP, right? They'll just be using the same concept as TP (like PH and ST)

Personally, i think Spirit Tracks is gonna suck badly... I mean, Link conducting a train? Real original ._.

[sarcasm]Driving around Hyrule in a train really sounds exciting!!![/sarcasm]

FireMeowth

filthy shipping trash
How come people don't like the train? Trains are better than another game with horses or boats. Yay for creativity, I say.

Seriously, how are they supposed to improve the Zelda games if 2/3 (or so) of the fans are negative to mostly all sorts of changes? Let's be happy and see how this turns out before we shoot it down. Please.

Phazon-764

Pants on the ground...
I have my doubts about this, I mean the dungeons are pure amazing, I love how you can control a Phantom and Link at the same time. I like the new Fan dew-hiky tool that reminds me of the Deku Leaf from Wing Waker. But quick question, if this is a "Phantom Hourglass sequel", where is all of the water >_>, or if it is "1000 Years later", does that mean our Earth will become one giant Continent (Global Warming FTL). And the whole train part, I want to ride Horse as Cartoon link, sadly the Train part of the game looks like my little brother's Thomas the Tank Engine computer game. The only thing i can say is, time will tell.

Shade Daroach

SixaxiS said:
Shade Daroach said:

You do know the new Wii game isn't a sequel to TP, right? They'll just be using the same concept as TP (like PH and ST)
Yeah I do know. And I personally hope they actually do something new rather than:
Start game
Collect 3 things
Get Master sword
Collect 4/5 things
Battle the Boss

And that was exactly TP.

Phazon-764 said:
I have my doubts about this, I mean the dungeons are pure amazing, I love how you can control a Phantom and Link at the same time. I like the new Fan dew-hiky tool that reminds me of the Deku Leaf from Wing Waker. But quick question, if this is a "Phantom Hourglass sequel", where is all of the water >_>, or if it is "1000 Years later", does that mean our Earth will become one giant Continent (Global Warming FTL).

The reason the Hyrule Earth is whole again is because in Wind Waker the Deku tree says he wants to expand the land back to normal, hence the amount of land.

SixaxiS

I'm more special than you!!!
FireMeowth said:
How come people don't like the train? Trains are better than another game with horses or boats. Yay for creativity, I say.

Seriously, how are they supposed to improve the Zelda games if 2/3 (or so) of the fans are negative to mostly all sorts of changes? Let's be happy and see how this turns out before we shoot it down. Please.

Zelda games never needed change... they're fine the way they are. I'd take a horse or a boat anyday instead of riding a train that looks like a 5-year old kid's toy train. :p

But like you said, let's see how it turns out. I still doubt it'll turn out as successful as previous LoZ games though

masterryanx

N
SixaxiS said:
Personally, I think Spirit Tracks is gonna suck badly... I mean, Link conducting a train? Real original ._.

Say what you like about the train. But you can't say it isn't original, because it hasn't been done before. >.>

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Shade Daroach said:
Yeah I do know. And I personally hope they actually do something new rather than:
Start game
Collect 3 things
Get Master sword
Collect 4/5 things
Battle the Boss

And that was exactly TP.

And PH, and almost every single Zelda game made. It's a consistent formula that makes these games good.

Honestly, this new DS game looks a lot like Phantom Hourglass, but I like that. I hope the train will be used creatively, and the only real thing I care about is that it's coming out this year. I can get my early Zelda fix long before the next Wii game comes out. :]

dmaster out.

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
I love the Zelda Games, but I think this new one sound kinda dumb, and I really do not think it will be worth paying for. I am for sure getting the one for Wii, but I am gunna wait and find out how the one for DS turns up first. If I hear it is good I may get it then.

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
I love how half of the people are like "This looks just like any other Zelda game, why don't they do something original?" and the other half is like "what's wrong with the original formula, why did they have to add something as stupid as a train?"

1st of all, if you don't like the Zelda formula, shut up and go play a different game. Obviously they're not going to make a Zelda game for the people who dislike the series anyway. IMO it's still the greatest games series out there, you don't have to change a formula when it works, and it does.

2nd of all, stop booing away every little bit of change, people. from what I've seen, the train's probably faster than the boat, which is a plus. You probably also won't have to draw out a map, you'll just have to pick which track you want to go on when you read a split, which will also make it faster.

3th of all, this is the next 2D-style Zelda game, and I honestly prefer the 2D games over the 3D ones (but not by much). If you want a 3D Zelda game, wait for the next Wii game, but don't expect them to not make any 2D Zelda games any more, seriously.

Even if this game is only PH 2.0, I wouldn't care. The dungeons in PH were quite original (spare the countless revisits of the temple of the Ocean King...), and I wouldn't mind seeing more.

About where this all fits into the Zelda time-line... don't bother. There isn't even an official time-line theory, there's a lot of different version. We know how some games belong together and which game comes 1st (most of the time), but there's no definite answer to how the games follow each-other.
The fact that Zelda is in the game and the lack of water suggests that this is not the Wind Waker universe (which is also the PH universe, BTW). So, the possibilities:
1) This game either comes before Wind Water, before the flooding of Hyrule. (Which means we might get some more information on this)
2) This game comes after WW, but everything dried up (this is also part of one of the time-line theories anyway)
3) This game does not take place in Hyrule, but somewhere else (which has been done before, just think of the oracle series and such). In that case, it can be anywhere on the time-line
4) This game is part of the Adult link time-line (which probably puts it behind TP)
5) This game is a direct sequel to PH, and Tetra suddenly decided to put on a dress...
6) It's all a dream... Again :(

As we don't know ANYTHING about the story at this point, there's absolutely no point in speculating. So as I said before, don't bother. I don't know much about the time-line theories and how they were established anyway, so there might be more possibilities than I listed, and some might as well be impossible.