The Heroic Sands - RMT of the Month - December

HeroOfSinnoh

Dead
2qu3fb8.jpg
Hello there :D, It's HoS here. I'm here to tell you about my Sandstorm team. It's quite fairly good. It has peaked a maximum of 1512 Rating Points on the Pokemon Online Server ladder. However I feel like something is missing or something needs to be added ... That my friends is where you come in.

There is one thing quite lacking here, which is synergy. However I find it quite difficult for a Sandstorm team to be sported synergistically, however once I again. This team has proved to be quite a nice niche. Winning 4 Dream World OU tourneys.

Team at a glance

450.gif
445.gif
530.gif
609.gif
196.gif
647.gif
~Animated Sprite credit to Arkeis.com

LEGEND :
* All attacks are in bold
* All evs are in italics

In depth vision....

450Hippowdon.png

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn/Ice Fang
- Slack Off

Say hello to my Hippo! *Hello Hippo o_O* Well this is no surprise in a Sandstorm team. While Tyranitar may have the advantage of it's Special Defense boosted along with the Sandstorm it has many counters. For an example Roobushin. As you all must know Roobushin is a very much liked Pokemon by all players also having priority rips Tyranitar apart. Obviously that doesn't happen to Hippo here. While even having only 4 Def evs on it. It is perfectly capable of using Yawn on Roobushin to put it to sleep or scare it away.Obviously this doesn't work on a Guts Roobushin holding a Flame Orb. Stealth Rock serves and obvious reason. Slack Off ... meh, do I have to explain that? I also use Ice Fang over Yawn sometimes. Ice Fang is quite handing when disposing Dragon type Pokemon preferably locked into Outrage. Also it sometimes help to dispose a wandering scarf Lati@s locked into Thunder, HP Fire etc. Earthquake is the basic stab move. Without any Atk evs on it doesn't do much but hey, better than nothing right?

So, yes the conclusion is that Hippowdon serves two reasons :-
*Absorbing hits
*Providing that ever useful infinite Sandstorm.

With this set-up Hippowdon takes
43.8% ~ 51.9% = Surf from Scarfed Latios with Timid Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs
48.1% ~ 56.6% = Surf from Scarfed Latios with Modest Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs
49.3% ~ 58.1% = Fire Blast from Scarfed Shandera with Modest Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs
44.5% ~ 52.9% = Fire Blast from Scarfed Shandera with Timid Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs

So that's it with my "cute" Hippo. Say bye now. *Bye Hippo o_O*

200px-445Garchomp.png

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 68 HP / 160 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

Cover yourself before the might of Garchomp. Once Forbidden ... now Unleashed!!.~ Altered from - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon - Imhullu line
Basically my Garchomp runs a unique ev set. While giving it some potential bulk. The move set is targeted towards 100% offensive. So basically I run the Yache Berry on it. It's Evasion which is boosted in the sandstorm will sometimes cause ice attacks to miss. I use the appropriate attack suitable to the situation. Most probably the opponent's Pokemon faints. If not it uses the ice type attack again. *Yache Berry weakened the ??? power, please get ready to lose that Pokemon who attacked with the ice type attack right now* If that was the in game message, it would really suit the occasion.
Anywho, so yeah. This is nothing but a fairly basic Chomp. It is 1 of the 3 cores of my team. My team is centralized around 3 Pokemon. It has Earthquake and Outrage for coverage and STAB. Fire Fang for getting rid of those annoying Nattoreis and Skarmories. So yeah, after getting 1 SD in. It is nearly unstoppable. Especially if the protective screen from Espeon is there. I've had many occasions where Garchomp single handedly sweeped all Pokemon in some teams with the aid of Light Screen and Reflect.

With this setup Garchomp takes with Yache Berry and Light Screen :-
24.1 ~ 28.6% = Ice Beam from Politoed with Timid nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs
26.9 ~ 31.9% = Ice Beam from Kingdra with Modest Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs

Other calculations with Light Screen and Reflect :-
59.4 ~ 70.6% = Draco Meteor from Kingdra with Modest Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs
51.0% ~ 60.5% = Outrage from Kingdra with Adamant Nature ~ 252 Atk evs
53.8 ~ 63.9 = Hidden Power (ICE) from Scarfed Shandera with Modest Nature ~ 252 Sp.Atk evs

That's it for my Chomp. Say bye now. *Bye, you big brute O-o*

Doryuuzu.png

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

My second team Core. What's a Sandstorm team without "The Mole"? Easily one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the whole metagame. Basically I don't run that standard 252 Atk evs / 252 Spd evs/4 HP evs set. I find that I should take at least a slight advantage from it's decent HP stat. My ev spread is based on to get the maximum potential of Doryuuzu. While it reaches 514 Spd with this setup in the Sandstorm. It also reaches a magnificent 405 Atk stat. After 1 Swords Dance, Woot! You have a Pokemon with 810 Atk and 510 Spd. Want anything more? While Doryuzuu doesn't have Stone Edge, Rock Slide works as a great alternative. I have seen some Doryuuzu sets which include Brick Break over X-Scissor however I find a difficulty with Psychic types specially Rankurusu when I use that. Mostly that Brick Break is used for opposing Doryuuzu who is most probably holding a balloon. So yeah, basically Earthquake is the main STAB move which normally OHKO many things that even resist it. Also, Rock Slide work wonders against Flying types and causing sudden flinches. X-Scissor is there for annoying Jalorda, Sazandora, and many other Dark, Psychic, Grass Pokemon.

With this setup without getting a Swords Dance in Doryuuzu deals :-
38.1% ~ 45.0% = Earthquake to Hippowdon with Careful Nature (4 Def evs)
53.9% ~ 63.7% = Earthquake to Garchomp with Jolly Nature (4 HP evs)
50.7% ~ 59.8% = Earthquake to Standard Roobushin (120 HP evs)

With this setup and after a Swords Dance Doryuuzu deals :-
76.0% ~ 89.5% = Earthquake to Hippowdon with Careful Nature (4 Def evs)
107.5% ~ 126.8 = Earthquake to Garchomp with Jolly Nature (4 HP evs)
101.0% ~ 119.2% = Earthquake to Standard Roobshin (120 HP evs)

So that's it with "The Mole". Say bye now. *Bye Mole ^_^*

kerudio_by_krokus00-d2z1iuq.png

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Mystery Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Ah, don't yet the merry-go-round pony looks fool you. This is one of the most dangerous Pokemon you can encounter especially under the protection of screens. This setup gives it 346 Spd and 357 Sp.Atk. Also after a Calm Mind the set can reach a total of 535 Sp.Atk and 324 Sp.Def. Mystery Sword is most probably the reason people use Kerudio. Despite having a unique typing, it lacks a proper movepool. However this movepool I use now helps me in numerous occasions. It just blends in so well with my Sand abusers. Hydro Pump after a Calm Mind as well as without one is devastating. If Blissey comes to wall it, I can always send it to the heaven with Mystery Sword. If you are not familiar with the move Mystery Sword, it is basically the FIGHTING type version of Psycho Shock. Basically the damage is sent off through the users Sp.Atk stat and calculated by the opponent's Def stat instead of Sp.Def stat. Hidden Power (Electric) is great for bulky water type Pokemon who switch in thinking "Hah, it's that water pony! What's it to me?" The answer is you pathetic water creatures is that this pony could kill you off and laugh at your painful dying. The most famous Pokemon was walling this Kerudio is Gyarados and Burungeru (That bulky Water/Ghost). Gyarados is sent to rest in peace with HP electric while Burungeru also suffers heavy damage.

With this set-up before a Calm Mind Kerudio will deal :-
72.7% ~ 85.8% = Hydro Pump to Standard Roobushin (120 HP evs)
34.0% ~ 40.5% = Hidden Power Electric to Burungeru (252 Sp.Atk evs)

With this set-up after a Calm Mind Kerudio will deal :-
108.9% ~ 128.3% = Hydro Pump to Standard Roobushin (120 HP evs)
51.0% ~ 60.4% = Hidden Power Electric to Burungeru (252 Sp.Atk evs)

So, as you might see, sometimes Kerudio has problems with Burungeru. However most of the times the blob of water and ghost type falls before Kerudio. I heard that Burungeru could be completely cut off by the Taunt moveset, however I'm not very familiar with it. The most problematic counter for Kerudio includes 4 things, that is Salamence, Dragonite, Lati@s duo.
While it deals reasonable damage to Salamence and Dragonite, Lati@s laughs at it and kills it normally with Psycho Shock.

That's it here. Bye Pony! *Kerudio : Buh Bye ^_^*

espeon.png

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Mirror
EVs: 160 HP / 12 Def / 96 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Espeon. IS. DA. BEAST!. ... Ahem, *clears throat*. If you ever used Espeon in the 5th gen with it's new Dream World ability I'm sure you will agree with me. Magic Mirror! The infinite Magic Coat! It cripples hazardous leads fully. Especially annoying Pokemon like Sableye which has become one of the most annoying stalls to deal with. Espeon laughs evilly at Sableye by coming on as it uses Taunt or Will-O-Wisp I don't have anything to explain here. The evs spread allows it to out speed some 108 base Speed Pokemon and many others. So yeah, basically get the freakin' screens up. That's the main duty. Also, this is my main core.
Sorry kitty, I don't have much calculations for you :/.
Bye Kitty *Espeon : Meooow .. Bye =3*

shandera.png

Shandera (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

This is my fear factor. It takes at least one Pokemon to hell with it. Amazing Revenge killer. The only problem is the SR weakness. However who cares about that when it has 427 Sp.Atk without even one boost? Overheat is the STAB main move. Demolishes everything that doesn't resist it. Also, Shadow Ball is another STAB main move. HP Ice is for freaky dragons while Energy Ball is for coverage.
Side note :- It IS really kinda broken with 140 Base Sp.Atk and Shadow Tag but I'm abusing it :D.

With this setup Shandera does :-
56.5% ~ 66.4% = Hidden Power on Latios (0 Sp.Def evs)
78.9% ~ 94.3% = Overheat on Roobushin (252 Sp.Def evs)

So that's it with this purple lantern. *Bye purple lantern o_O*

381.gif
472.gif

Latios
I did find Latios considerably better than Shandera, however due to Shandera's Shadow Tag it has replaced Latios in the team.

Gliscor
This Pokemon was the original team member in this team. Destroyed every Roobushin and Breloom it could find. However due to my teams Ice common weakness he has been swapped.

Suggestions for swapping Shandera again with Latios are appreciated. Tell me whom do you think blends well with the team.

Threats

186.gif

Scarftoed with Drizzle is one main hinderance to my team. While outspeeding Shandera, it packs heavy punch to all my members with it's Rain Boosted Hydro Pump. Counter suggestions are appreciated

381.gif

ScarfLatios is also a main threat with it's diverse movepool it can tear many holes in my team. Also, Draco Meteor is a considerable threat since Doryuuzu can't survive it fully. Counter suggestions are appreciated.

Guts

CyberPhunk
Once again, I find myself staring down the face of my hated enemy: A Sandstorm team. I primarily use a Rain Dance team in Pokemon Online, so as you can imagine, they are one of, if not the biggest, threat(s) to me. But the same could be said of you also; Rain-Boosted sweepers could sweep this team easily, even with your dual screens up, just as Physical tanks could destroy a frail Rain Team. Garchomp and Doryuuzu are practically unstoppable on this team, with Pokemon who have already set up the like of Dragon Dance and Nasty Plot being the only ones able to defeat them. Latias could fill a very good niche in your team, offering impressive offensive and defensive capabilities. Utilizing HP, Speed, and SP. Atk EV's, Latias could take a hit from your threat list, and retaliate with a Draco Meteor or Thunder of her own. That really would be one of the only suggestions I have for a Team member, the other members fit into the team very well. Please ask me if there is something you wish for me to elaborate on. Good luck with your future in Competitive Battling, and May the Force be with You.

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Sandstorm is pretty skilless in the metagame at this point. I even used it just awhile ago and got from 6000 on PO to 290. However this does appear to be above averedge so I will rate it.

Test out Stone Edge over Fire Fang on Garchomp. This gives you the ability to hit stuff like Togetic and Shaymin-S with more confidence. Fire Fang is rather weak and can't do much to anything. Especially since your're using a less offencive spread. Consider using Psychic on Espeon over Grass Knot. This way you can beat Roobushin if all else fails. If Roobushin gets a +2 your done for.

Use Roar on Hippowdon with a more bulky spread. Put more defence EVS in it. It's your only Dory check at this point pretty much. I'll make a spread soon enough that will work better. I also highly suggest using a spread of Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spe on Doryuuzu. This way you can check other Doryuuzu if you have to. Sp.Def Hippo isn't always going to handle it.

Good Luck!

HeroOfSinnoh

Dead
@ShadowLugia
Thanks for the rate.
Yeah, opposition weather teams are a problem that's how the weather teams roll :p. Obviously my survival with a rain team depends on how well I play Hippo. Kill Politoed before Hippo is KO'ed and normally that's it with rain. One more thing I like about Sandstorm more than rain is that, ordinary Pokemon like Garchomp and Dory can handle themselves sometimes without Sandstorm. However some rain Pokemon like Ludicolo, Kabutops can't survive if rain goes away. That's why I prefer SS.
You're Latias however did miracles. Thanks for the suggestion :D. Perfectly fits.

@PDC
I'm sorry but I don't agree when you say SS is skilless. True, basically 3 Pokemon are in every Sandstorm team which are, Hippo, Chomp, Dory. However you can't say a person is skilless just for using that can you?

Anyway, about your suggestions, Yes, Stone Edge works nicely on Garchomp. Thank you for that suggestion. I also tried Aqua Tail however Stone Edge still does the job nicely. The only problem is the accuracy.
Psychic on Espeon .. got it. I've yet to put it on a Roob, I'll tell you how it went when I finally meet one.

True, I can let Latias (Suggested by ShadowLugia) to take the half Sp.Def wall and dedicate Hippo as a Physical wall.
I will be using this moveset

Stealth Rock
Ice Fang
Earthquake
Slack Off/Roar

While I like the Roar better Slack Off could be crucial in HP recovery. Ice Fang and Earthquake combo is needed for Balloon Dory.
So my question is .. Roar or Slack Off?

Thanks much for the rate PDC. I appreciate it much :D

Guts

CyberPhunk
It depends on your play style and experience. Do you often wish that you had recovery on the Hippo, or do you need to utilize your Stealth Rock that you have set up to wear away at your opponent? The decision is yours, my friend.

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
I meant roar over Ice Fang. It's useless on Hippo.

HeroOfSinnoh

Dead
Okay, however Hippo can't check Dory without Ice Fang because most of them hold balloon and on a 1 on 1 situation if Dory is holding a balloon Hippo is good as dead.