Blog The Great Know-It-All: Ways to Utilize Mew from Fates Collide

Although I feel like you may be hyping Mew up a little too much, I really like your creative ideas and combinations for Mew, especially that Latios-EX combo.

I was thinking how a single energy basic 1 prize attacker would combo perfectly with Exp. Share....
Nah- I'll save that for a format without Megaphone or Xerosic.

I really like the Latios combo. I wonder what you could possibly pair with Latios-EX to keep on going past the first turn.

I think the hype around Mew is that it can win the prize card exchange, which the article mentions. It puts the Night March powerhouse at risk. Basically, instead of playing the EX's in the active, you play Mew. This will allow the prize card exchange to roll in better favor of heavy ex decks. It will force a lysandre play on the next turn to keep up with the prize exchange. Usually on next turn for Night March decks, Teammates is played to retrieve some needed resources. It basically puts non-ex decks in awkward positions that usually control the prize exchange. It is why the card is good, and it is why Mega Catcher was released. I don't believe the article mentioned it, but you can run mew with a lot of 2 energy charge Megas like the new M Beedrill or M Scizor Ex with DM Valley. Even Yveltal and Zoroark can benefit from the card with DM Valley and Max elixir in place Mew could use Evil ball or Mind Jack to really put pressure on opponents early. It just has a lot more options than it's predecessor Mew Ex because it is a low risk card with free retreat.

The only decks I don't see it benefiting is Grenija and Trev.

But ya, I don't see any reason why we won't see it being played in competitive decks. Good Article!

Although I feel like you may be hyping Mew up a little too much, I really like your creative ideas and combinations for Mew, especially that Latios-EX combo.

I guess I may be exaggerating this card's power a bit. But I do have a really good reason for this: Too often people look at this card and think 'Night March'. I wanted to show that it could be more powerful to use in several decks other than Night March.

This article is mainly a brainstorm to a lot of possible combinations that you could do with Mew. And while not every combination may work up as hyped (This even includes Night March!), the versatility of this card no doubt can be why so much hype is around it. Shaymin-EX was hyped in the same way - that fact that it can make lots of decks very powerful.

Of course, only testing can prove if any of the hype is justified...

Though the attack is reasonable, I think it is because you need to play it from hand to use the ability and paralyze. Its a tougher play.
Well you can easily use the Battle Compressor + Revitalizer combo. That's honestly the only reason I'm building the deck.

I really like the Latios idea. Though technically, any deck that uses free retreaters and psychic energy can do the same (Though Mew can hit for weakness). A few others.

Rayquaza EX (with intensifying burn): 10 plus 50 more against EXes This could really shine in expanded with Silver Bangle. You can take out Mewtwo EX and Lucario EX for free.

Lugia EX: I know it's been mentioned in the article, but it was for Aero Ball. Deep Hurricane can be a fantastic finisher. If you have an energy attached and DV is in play, you can attach a DCE for big damage.

Sudowoodo: Copy an oppenents last attack. DV reduces the cost to one energy.

Jirachi Promo: Not much explanation needed. It's always been a good tech anyway and it would give Mew another attack to use for free.

White Kyurem:
White Kyurem – Water – HP130
Basic Pokemon

[W][C] Burning Icicle: 40 damage. If this Pokemon has any Fire Energy attached to it, choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon and do 20 damage to each of them. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[W][W][C] Blizzard Burn: 130 damage. This Pokemon can’t attack during your next turn.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

This only works with rainbow energy, which can cover both water and fire. DV makes burning icicle a one energy attack and you'll still get the bench damage. Not sure if it's worth it, but if you're playing Rainbow Energy with Mew, it's the easiest way to get around the awkward energy requirement.

Rotom:
Rotom – Lightning – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[L] Energy Draw: Search your deck for a Basic Energy card and attach it to this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[C][C] Plasmagic: Move 2 damage counters from each of your Pokemon with damage counters on them to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-2)
Retreat: 1

Rotom is a potential counter to Trevenant BREAK. You just need a DCE. Unfortunately, an upcoming Barbaracle has an ability the prevents special energy. Mew/DV allow you to use that attack for one basic energy.

Well you can easily use the Battle Compressor + Revitalizer combo. That's honestly the only reason I'm building the deck.

Yes. I think that is a good way to play it. I think devolution spray will be another card to use with it. But, ya, it has some untapped potential, but I don't think there will be a lot of trainers out there itching to try it, until after some online testing.

I really like the Latios idea. Though technically, any deck that uses free retreaters and psychic energy can do the same (Though Mew can hit for weakness). A few others.

Rayquaza EX (with intensifying burn): 10 plus 50 more against EXes This could really shine in expanded with Silver Bangle. You can take out Mewtwo EX and Lucario EX for free.

Lugia EX: I know it's been mentioned in the article, but it was for Aero Ball. Deep Hurricane can be a fantastic finisher. If you have an energy attached and DV is in play, you can attach a DCE for big damage.

Sudowoodo: Copy an oppenents last attack. DV reduces the cost to one energy.

Jirachi Promo: Not much explanation needed. It's always been a good tech anyway and it would give Mew another attack to use for free.

White Kyurem:
White Kyurem – Water – HP130
Basic Pokemon

[W][C] Burning Icicle: 40 damage. If this Pokemon has any Fire Energy attached to it, choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon and do 20 damage to each of them. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[W][W][C] Blizzard Burn: 130 damage. This Pokemon can’t attack during your next turn.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

This only works with rainbow energy, which can cover both water and fire. DV makes burning icicle a one energy attack and you'll still get the bench damage. Not sure if it's worth it, but if you're playing Rainbow Energy with Mew, it's the easiest way to get around the awkward energy requirement.

Rotom:
Rotom – Lightning – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[L] Energy Draw: Search your deck for a Basic Energy card and attach it to this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[C][C] Plasmagic: Move 2 damage counters from each of your Pokemon with damage counters on them to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-2)
Retreat: 1

Rotom is a potential counter to Trevenant BREAK. You just need a DCE. Unfortunately, an upcoming Barbaracle has an ability the prevents special energy. Mew/DV allow you to use that attack for one basic energy.

Those are interesting ideas! There might be problems, though, with some of them:

-For White Kyurem, I'm rather concerned that the rules on Rainbow Energy won't let the effect work. That's because while Rainbow provides any energy, it only provides one type of energy at a time - that is, the attack cost forces it to count as Water Energy to activate the move, thus it stops it from being Fire Energy in the process. But I could be wrong about that ruling, and if so, it would be cool to abuse Rainbow Energy like that. ^_^

-As much as Rotom could work with Mew, a Tree player could simply opt to use Tree Slam to knock out Mew easily, and getting Mew towards the active spot in the face of item lock could be difficult to do. It's when a theoretical situation comes to practice that I wonder about using that.

Otherwise, the Sudowoodo would be a real sneaky tech to use, and I love the gimmick of knocking out EX's without any energy attachments. Lugia's Second attack is useful, too... I kind of overlooked that.

I think the hype around Mew is that it can win the prize card exchange, which the article mentions. It puts the Night March powerhouse at risk. Basically, instead of playing the EX's in the active, you play Mew. This will allow the prize card exchange to roll in better favor of heavy ex decks. It will force a lysandre play on the next turn to keep up with the prize exchange. Usually on next turn for Night March decks, Teammates is played to retrieve some needed resources. It basically puts non-ex decks in awkward positions that usually control the prize exchange. It is why the card is good, and it is why Mega Catcher was released. I don't believe the article mentioned it, but you can run mew with a lot of 2 energy charge Megas like the new M Beedrill or M Scizor Ex with DM Valley. Even Yveltal and Zoroark can benefit from the card with DM Valley and Max elixir in place Mew could use Evil ball or Mind Jack to really put pressure on opponents early. It just has a lot more options than it's predecessor Mew Ex because it is a low risk card with free retreat.

The only decks I don't see it benefiting is Grenija and Trev.

But ya, I don't see any reason why we won't see it being played in competitive decks. Good Article!

I do see the prize denial pattern being used quite well, but be careful about the partner choices: This Mew can only use the attacks of Basic Pokemon. Sadly, attacks of Megas can't be used with Mew, nor from moves of stages 1's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do see the prize denial pattern being used quite well, but be careful about the partner choices: This Mew can only use the attacks of Basic Pokemon. Sadly, attacks of Megas can't be used with Mew, nor from moves of stages 1's.

Good Catch! :0)

It will definitely see play, and I dare to say it's better than its EX equivalent. But do we know for certain Dimension Valley gets a reprint? Because without it this new Mew isn't really that impressive in standard.

I especially like the Sceptile EX idea. The art on Mew fits pretty well with a Grass Deck.

-For White Kyurem, I'm rather concerned that the rules on Rainbow Energy won't let the effect work. That's because while Rainbow provides any energy, it only provides one type of energy at a time - that is, the attack cost forces it to count as Water Energy to activate the move, thus it stops it from being Fire Energy in the process. But I could be wrong about that ruling, and if so, it would be cool to abuse Rainbow Energy like that. ^_^

Rainbow energy counts as all types (e.g. works with Fairy Garden, BKT Darkrai EX), the card says "While in play, this card provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time." Note it says "1 Energy at a time", not "1 TYPE of Energy at a time". So it produces all, but no more than 1 at a time. So for effects/abilities it is every type all the time.

Rainbow energy counts as all types (e.g. works with Fairy Garden, BKT Darkrai EX), the card says "While in play, this card provides every type of Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time." Note it says "1 Energy at a time", not "1 TYPE of Energy at a time". So it produces all, but no more than 1 at a time. So for effects/abilities it is every type all the time.

This is the other way to look at the ruling, although given the track record of TPCi on certain card effects, like Omega Barrier, I'm not 100% sure this is how they'll rule it. But your ruling actually does make more sense to me than my theoretical one I made. Thank you for the catch!

As far as I know, @Lanstar is correct, if the person I talked to about Double Rainbow Energy is correct xD. I showed a Houndoom card (old one, can't remember the set) that had an [R][R] attack cost that said to discard 2 [R] Energy to them along with my DRE and said 'I don't have to discard anything because they're not [R], right?' He said the DRE would count as the 2 [R] because I used the attack. I'm assuming the same is true for regular Rainbow Energy.

Don't quote me on this though. I can't remember who it was that I talked to.

This is the correct ruling. It's Rainbow Energy, so think about it as counting as every type simultaneously.

This is the correct ruling. It's Rainbow Energy, so think about it as counting as every type simultaneously.

Weird... The guy I talked to seemed to be in the know. He told me that I couldn't change the type(s) Double Rainbow Energy is providing after I announce an attack that requires it as a specific type (i.e. not colorless).

Really strange.

Weird... The guy I talked to seemed to be in the know. He told me that I couldn't change the type(s) Double Rainbow Energy is providing after I announce an attack that requires it as a specific type (i.e. not colorless).

Really strange.

Technically you never change Rainbow Energy's type. It's always the type "Rainbow" that fulfills any Energy requirement type. That's a good way to think about it.

Back