Discussion The Future of the TCG

On the little list of new stuff this year we have the GX cards, Shining Pokemon and the alternate art reprints.

Only the alternate art reprints are actually knew, though. ;)

Pokémon-GX are just the up-scaled version of Pokémon-ex (from the Gen III sets), though the GX-attack is new... except it is kind of like Ace Spec Trainers as an attack, and done correctly (GX counter so you can't use it more than once). Shining Pokémon are... just another "Same name and yet not" version of cards. Not sure if it is better or worse they aren't like the original mechanics used to represent them (probably an improvement).

Only the alternate art reprints are actually knew, though. ;)

Pokémon-GX are just the up-scaled version of Pokémon-ex (from the Gen III sets), though the GX-attack is new... except it is kind of like Ace Spec Trainers as an attack, and done correctly (GX counter so you can't use it more than once). Shining Pokémon are... just another "Same name and yet not" version of cards. Not sure if it is better or worse they aren't like the original mechanics used to represent them (probably an improvement).
The GX cards may well be up-scaled versions but they have shaken up the format more than when Shaymin arrived. In 3 sets, sun and moon has completely transformed the format with decks like Lele, Metagross, Solgaleo, Bulu and Gardvoir. Not to mention Garbodor.

@The Ultimate Umbreon

Right... and how many of these are totally new, and not copying the effects of past cards, maybe remixing them or just scaling them up? ;)

Sorry kiddo; as a someone that's been playing since the beginning, I'm just expecting more rehashes. :)

@The Ultimate Umbreon

Right... and how many of these are totally new, and not copying the effects of past cards, maybe remixing them or just scaling them up? ;)

Sorry kiddo; as a someone that's been playing since the beginning, I'm just expecting more rehashes. :)
Otaku savage mode lol.
I do think the meta has changed for the better in that evolutions are back to being viable but I can forgive hehashed attack effects because I have played the last 20 years so I like old effects being brought to light. As for the future some new mechanic will likely come with sm5 which will be the set that usum will get highlighted in I believe.

@AuraJackle

I am a sucker for nostalgia, myself. The only issue I take with the "rehashes" is that I am of the opinion there are some balance issues within the game, most not inherent to the rules and the few that are just needing minor tweaks ('cept maybe the Prize mechanic) and... no progress. Well, no real progress; I think the Standard Format is mostly in a better place than it was during the BW-era, but worry because I see the same stuff that didn't work happening again.

Oh, but I am happy that HP scores are rising. I just hope the powers-that-be realized damage output actually needs to remain the same so that this can finally help with pacing and giving the designers more wiggle room. Because when the choice is "Reduce attack damage by 10 and turn a OHKO into a 2HKO or having a minor effect." we know that the first choice is what makes for competitive - albeit boring - cards.

I have to agree with Otaku with this. I'm not expecting much to change with the game. Thing's were good until they released Gardevoir-GX and Kiawe and these two cards and while I like interesting cards, these two make things overpowered. I can see any other reason the new Solgaleo-GX has a 120 attack for a DCE and screams hard gardy counter. All I'm hoping for is that Pidgeot-GX has 250 HP and a 40x attack for one Energy because at this point, I don't really expect to see anything interesting but nukes.

Man the Kiawe decks aren't even doing well at big regional tournaments. Straight Volcanion without Kiawe is better

Also, it has reached a point where Pokemon has delayed products so other products can get more attention. How long have we been waiting for tapu lele now? But they still go ahead and give us these sidekick collections, a marshadow pin collection and a sivally GX box.

Back