Speculation The Future of Pokemon: Cross Gen Evolutions

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
With the advent of Mega Evolutions in Gen VI, we only got one regular evolution; Eevee to promote the new Fairy-typing.

But, does that mean we will not see any regular evolutions in the coming generations? What Pokemon do you think need Evolutions the most and why?

You mean for older Pokémon? Probably not.

For newer Pokémon regular evolution will always be a thing.

Yeah, "regular evolutions" is kind of ambiguous. I edited the thread title to make it more clear.

I think we might see them again, but not as much as we used to in say, 2nd or 4th gen. Game Freak got a lot of flak for having so many cross gen evolutions 4th gen so we probably won't see a whole lot in the future. However, I do think we may see more than 6th gen, Mega Evolution may not be enough for Pokemon with lower BSTs. It'd be better to give some of those Pokemon cross gen evolutions and then give them a Mega later on, which would make them more competitively viable and allow them to save some Mega Evolutions for later. So ultimately I think there should be a little bit of both.

I think, if anything, we're likely to see more evolutions of 6th gen. Pokémon then any more for 1-5. Though, I could see 5th gen. maybe getting a few too, since they didn't really have an opportunity (though I guess I'd have to open it up to 4th gen. too, if I'm going to go that route xD). Mostly, I'd be disappointed if they stopped adding more evolutions for earlier gens. in favour of sticking with only making more Mega Evolutions, but then, I've never been that big of a fan of Mega Evolution at all myself anyway.

We also definitely need more Shellos forms.

Yeah, "regular evolutions" is kind of ambiguous. I edited the thread title to make it more clear.

Thanks for that. I didn't realize the ambiguousness of the title was going to be a problem...

I for one, want to see evolutions of a handful of Gen II Pokemon; Ledian, Ariados, Girafarig and especially Dunsparce. A bunch of Gen II Pokemon got evolutions in Gen IV, but there were a few left on the table that really could've used one, like the ones I stated.

This was the main disappointment for me about gen6-pokemon (not that it doesn't have more than enough good points to make up for it).

Well, I was expecting cross-gen evolutions, as the generations are alternating between adding big amounts of generic pokemon and expanding the existing pool. And I enjoyed how gen2 and gen4 handled it, and was hoping to see that continued, with gen5 in primary focus.

Alternate evolutions, for example a Politoed for Palpitoad, something like Heatmor getting a Scizor-treatment, things like Banette getting their deserved evo, obvious evolution candidates like Audino getting one, and a bunch of babies too.

Nope. Just another eeveelution, that will make people continue hoping for all types e____e
And then ruin some of the perfect candidates for regular evolution, by giving them lackluster Megas instead D;

I don't wanna wait till gen8 for more cross-gen evos.. there is too many possibilities that aren't happening for too long already.

As established a few times at this point, I think it's how difficult it is to get around the Eviolite's coding.

A very complex area that I have no clue how it functions data-wise. However, we do know that it makes Pokémon that can still evolve have better defenses.

Although, that doesn't really 100% excuse Sylveon being the only cross-gen evolution in Gen 6, unless there were sheer constraints in deadlines. Mons like Banette and Audino definitely deserved a legit evolution instead of the Megas that don't do much with them, other than having a decent niche in lower tiers, which similar mons can still do better that won't have to take up the one Mega slot in your team. A shame really, since Sableye and Mawile did do really well with their Megas, competitive play or not.

As established a few times at this point, I think it's how difficult it is to get around the Eviolite's coding.

A very complex area that I have no clue how it functions data-wise. However, we do know that it makes Pokémon that can still evolve have better defenses.

Although, that doesn't really 100% excuse Sylveon being the only cross-gen evolution in Gen 6, unless there were sheer constraints in deadlines. Mons like Banette and Audino definitely deserved a legit evolution instead of the Megas that don't do much with them, other than having a decent niche in lower tiers, which similar mons can still do better that won't have to take up the one Mega slot in your team. A shame really, since Sableye and Mawile did do really well with their Megas, competitive play or not.

This is what I assumed; I think they pressed themselves for time and as such decided to give Banette and Audino Mega Evolutions instead of regular evolutions. Perhaps, they decided to create their evolutions way late in development and decided to cut corners and time and decided to give them Mega Evolutions instead.

I'd personally like to see Jynx get an evolution. It deserves one - Especially considering it's basically part of a trio with Electabuzz and Magmar. I really hope we see more evolutions for older Pokemon instead of Mega Evolutions. While I enjoy Mega Evolutions and the things they bring to the table, I feel like they should be reserved for second or third stage Pokemon that don't need any actual evolutions. I actually wouldn't even mind a generation or game with no new Pokemon, but instead - focuses on giving Pokemon more evolutions, that way they can get a few much needed Pokemon out of the way and THEN focus on more mega evolutions, or even focus on Mega Evolutions for those Evolutions.

I'd personally like to see Jynx get an evolution. It deserves one - Especially considering it's basically part of a trio with Electabuzz and Magmar.

I think Jynx's separation from Electabuzz and Magmar is probably because of the two version system, it's better for them to have duos instead of trios for version exclusivity purposes. So if Jynx is getting an evolution, it probably won't be because of Electabuzz and Magmar.

I actually wouldn't even mind a generation or game with no new Pokemon, but instead - focuses on giving Pokemon more evolutions, that way they can get a few much needed Pokemon out of the way and THEN focus on more mega evolutions, or even focus on Mega Evolutions for those Evolutions.

I doubt that will happen, part of the excitement of a new generation of Pokemon is to see entirely new concepts for Pokemon, if we just had evolved forms of Pokemon we're already familiar with it wouldn't be as interesting. I could see them possibly adding new cross gen Pokemon mid gen, but not as its own generation.

I'd personally like to see Jynx get an evolution. It deserves one - Especially considering it's basically part of a trio with Electabuzz and Magmar. I really hope we see more evolutions for older Pokemon instead of Mega Evolutions. While I enjoy Mega Evolutions and the things they bring to the table, I feel like they should be reserved for second or third stage Pokemon that don't need any actual evolutions. I actually wouldn't even mind a generation or game with no new Pokemon, but instead - focuses on giving Pokemon more evolutions, that way they can get a few much needed Pokemon out of the way and THEN focus on more mega evolutions, or even focus on Mega Evolutions for those Evolutions.

I think Jynx's separation from Electabuzz and Magmar is probably because of the two version system, it's better for them to have duos instead of trios for version exclusivity purposes. So if Jynx is getting an evolution, it probably won't be because of Electabuzz and Magmar.

They were never a proper trio to begin with.

At most, they might have been supposed to be a trio while Red&Green were still in development, but even in that case, the idea was scrapped before release, because Jynx differs from the duo in too many ways.

QlmXyhU.png

As you can see, Jynx has a secondary type, has a lot weaker stats and differently distributed (whereas Electabuzz and Magmar feel like opposites), and instead of being a rare wild catch in an appropriate area, it's obtained through ingame trade.

You'd think that all 3 of them getting a pre-evolution in gen2 brought them closer than that, but actually, that's also when their genders don't match anymore for obvious reasons.

And even if one disregards the data and just wants to think of them as a group conceptually or thematically, or rather purely design-based... THAT fails spectacularly as well, as Magmar/Electabuzz are all about their element of Fire/Electric, which is plastered all over their bodies with obvious patterns. And while they do have a humanoid shape, they also have an animalistic side to them. Jynx on the other hand is a completely unique design.

You'd think that if they wanted to make a third member to Electabuzz/Magmar, it would be like a humanoid hare with a white/blue ice-pattern all over it.

Aaanyways... I have a feeling that if Jynx will get anything, it would be a Mega at this point.
But whether it would be a Mega or a regular evolution, one thing they could do is give it the Sylveon treatment. Getting Refrigerate, so its Hyper Voice becomes a double STAB boosted spread Ice move 8D

Back