The Future Metagame

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
With only one full set and a mini set yet to be released before the roatation I think we have a good understanding of what cards and decks will see some more play.

Yveltal EX decks in my opinnion will still see a lot of play because Yveltal EX is still one of the best if not the best attacker in the game. These decks will be losing cards like hypnotoxic laser and virbank city gym as well as Garbador, Darkrai EX, Keledo EX. I think the deck will be played more with cards like shadow circle and hard charm and be more of a defensive deck but could also see some play with crobat as a means for extra damage out put and a pyroar counter. I can also see Yveltal EX decks playing Hydreigon EX as a one of for a pyroar counter as well.

Night march decks dont really lose much but they do lose their main attacker in Mew EX and lose empoleons or eeveelutions. The fact is they still set up very quickly and can hit big numbers. The problem that night march decks will face is not being able to hit be M pokemon EX numbers in one hit but the prize trade is still good.

Seismitoad EX decks lose their main damage output in Hypnotoxic laser and Virbank city gym so a lot of people expect the deck to see little to no play at all. I dont think that will be the case, I think seismitoad EX decks will still see alot of play because item locking is a very good and efficiant way to slow other decks down. We could also get cards in the Bandit ring set and legenday mini set that have not been released as of yet, that will be able to help increase the damage output of Seismitoad EX.

Fairy decks will still be powerful but with the loss of max poition I expect fairy decks to drop. What made them good was the ability to move all energy off the pokemon then use max poiton and move all energy back. With that being said cards like Florges EX can use the aid from aromatisse but dont need it. It only needs 2 energy to attack and with a low HP of 160 it is somewhat fragile so it will be knocked out easily.

Fighting Varients will lose Landorus EX and donphan. But Lucario EX is still a good attacker and with the likley rotation of Mewtwo EX will be more playable. Lucario EX has an attack that allows you to apply early pressure and it also has support and big hitting attacks. Hawlucha will still be a viable attacker for fighting decks. Fighting decks wont be losing any of the support that goes with them like strong energy, Korrina, Fighting stadium. Primal Groudon EX could see some more play with Vir/ Gen varients rotating out.

M Manectic EX decks could see some more play with the loss of Landorus EX and Donphan which are two cards that were holding it back. It is a lightning pokemon that can accelerate energy OHKO Yveltal EX as well as Pyroar. There are many interesting combinations that M Manectric EX could be paired with to make it viable.

Pyroar will not be very good. I expect most decks will be running at least one evoultion that can be an attacker in the deck.

Bronzong Varients are interesting. They have the energy acceleration but they tend to be slow when setting up. They will also be losing Keldeo EX as a switching mechanism so that hurts them. I think they could see some more play especially with M Aggron EX as an attacker because hit can hit big numbers and the bench damage can be blocked with the mouintain ring stadium.

Primal Kyogre EX will be played more. With the roatation of Vir/ Gen decks there wont be many grass decks that will worry Primal Kyogre EX players. The damge output is good and it also provides some psudo energy acceleration. The problem the deck may face is not being able to hit M pokemon EX and primal EX numbers.

M Rayquezza EX decks will be good in my oppinion. I like both M Rayqueza EX's but I think the Colorless M Rayqueza EX will see more play because of its speed and easier to deal with energy requirements. The Dragon M Rayqueza EX will be good but the problem that I see with it will be constant energy acceleration but with M Turbo and Double Dragon Energy that could end up being no issue once set up. The colorless M Rayqueza EX can hit numbers up to 260HP for three energy but will be relient on the skyfield stadium being in play as well as getting 8 pokemon on the bench. Dragon M Rayqueza EX can hit 300 damage with the only drawback being discarding 2 energy and both M Rayqueza's have spirit links.

M Gallade EX decks are another thing that will be intersting but I think if paired right could be very good. Cards that come to pair with would be Crobat or maybe Fortress, Or a card that people may be forgeting about would be Gourgist with spirit screem. All three cards provide a means of getting bench damage and increasing the damage output of M Gallade EX. And with Dimensional Vally and M turbo the card could get powered up quickly.

What do you guys think will happen. I know I missed some decks but I feel like I hit on most of the decks. Feel free to include other decks I didnt mention.

Is it just me, or did you basically say everything there except Fairy and Pyroar will be seeing more play or at least "a lot" of play? How is that possible?

Anyway, Yveltal and Seismitoad will definitely drop in use. I'm pretty sure of that because of how much they both lose. Overall, I feel like we'll be moving more toward big attacks, like Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza. I think Manectric will drop a bit because of this, unless Ray becomes overly popular. I don't know how possible it is to predict how individual decks will do, because every one of them has a weakness and advantage against another deck. How one deck does pretty much determines how every other deck will do. Nothing is clearly broken or unbeatable after rotation, since Seismitoad loses HTL.

I'm really interested in seeing how Magma/Aqua decks do, and if any rogue decks will pop up with the loss of HTL. I'm also particularly interested to see if any Stage 1/2 decks will be able to do something amazing since Seismitoad will likely drop in use.

M Manectric EX will definitely see a lot of play. It's too broken.

As for Fairy, they won't be dropping. They'll be even more powerful than ever when the next set hits Max Potion or not. They dominate the heck out of trying to make any dragon decks too. Max Potion is also a card that will likely see a reprint down the road as well as...

Mewtwo EX, Let's face it - Either it's going to be reprinted (Because most Mewtwo Cards do the exact same thing) or it will get a new card, which could possibly be the reason they held back releasing the Mega Mewtwo X card when Furious Fists came out in Japan.

I'm hoping new Eeveelutions pop up with Ancient Traits, the game needs to support it's stage 1 and 2s more, not it's Megas and EX Pokemon.

So would M Manectric combo'd with Seismitoad and oh wait, Plasma Kyurem is getting rotated. Also, what varient of Fairy is the best? Or is Gardevoir the best. Well. What else can we combo with Manectric, as Kyurem is getting rotated :(

TokenDuelist said:
M Manectric EX will definitely see a lot of play. It's too broken.

As for Fairy, they won't be dropping. They'll be even more powerful than ever when the next set hits Max Potion or not. They dominate the heck out of trying to make any dragon decks too. Max Potion is also a card that will likely see a reprint down the road as well as...

Mewtwo EX, Let's face it - Either it's going to be reprinted (Because most Mewtwo Cards do the exact same thing) or it will get a new card, which could possibly be the reason they held back releasing the Mega Mewtwo X card when Furious Fists came out in Japan.

I'm hoping new Eeveelutions pop up with Ancient Traits, the game needs to support it's stage 1 and 2s more, not it's Megas and EX Pokemon.

I don't think Mega Manectric is broken, personally. It's great, but it doesn't set up as fast as Flareon or Night March, and it doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the new Primal/Megas. Hell, unless you go through quite a clunky sequence (attach spirit link, remove spirit link with Tool Retriever, attach muscle band) you can't even 2HKO P-Groudon, P-Kygore or M-Agron.

It's worth pointing out that M-Manectic is hardly seeing any competitive play at the moment. If it was "broken" it would be played all the time. Never mind the fact it is bad in the meta- if it was format-breaking, people would play it anyway.

IMO Night March decks will completely die out. Without Mew EX you only have 8 attackers, and you need most of them them in the discard to actually start KOing stuff.

M Manectric EX isnt seeing play right now because fighting varients are being played alot. Fairy decks lose so much with the loss of Max Poition and a reprint hasnt been anounced yet, that dosent mean it wont though.

Many people thought that Dark decks would drop off after dark patch and sablyee rotated, this is obviously not the actual outcome. This leads me to think that as long as Yveltal EX is in the format it will be played and it will be a very good deck regardless of losing things like lasers, virbanks, and garbador.

Every deck takes a beating overall and losing a lot of cards that make them good. I hope that we get some really good supporter and item cards over the next few sets to compensate for these issues.

Mega Turbo will make Primal Groudon-EX one of the top decks out there. Can't Lysandre it out, can't E-Hammer, can't Crushing Hammer any energies off of it. You don't need baby Landorus to power it up. Losing Dark Patch made Dark a little weaker. Well Mega Turbo is like giving "Dark Patch" to Primal Groudon-EX.

One strong energy on it and Fighting Stadium and it will OHKO just about everything.

Primal Groudon-EX + Lucario-EX is the future right now, IMO. If you throw a big Pokemon out to deal with Lucario-EX, you get OHKO from Primal from the bench.

Other strong decks I think will be Dragons mixed with Fairy (with Aegislash-EX for mirror matches.

Bronzong will see more play with Mega Rayquaza (colorless) heavy bench and easily powered up. Something fairy won't be able to do if a Rayquaza gets knocked out.

Just throwing ideas out there.

I think Siesmotoad EX and Head Ringer will become more of tech cards tech cards after losing so much support

M Ray will lose Eggs and Safeqaurders as faughter pokemon but you can still use cards like Shaymin EX to discard and use the "Card that brings 5 pokemon from the discard pile to your hand" (frogot whats it called).
The Other one will lose Emboar which isn't really that bad.

Stage 2's could be actully be vaible with many threats leaving the format and Siesmotoad EX getting drained a bit. The Satge 2 cards that will probably see more play will be Crobat, Hydreigon, Machamp, Delphox, and even cards like Salamence RS and Duskinor FF

I think Seismitoad EX/ Crawdaunt/ hammers could become a new meta deck. Not many pokemon can attack for a single energy and I think it will be tough to get things set up with all the hammers and what not being thrown at you with the deck. The primal pokemon could also see some more play especially Primal Groudon EX because it is good attacker and the AT makes it imune to hammers and lasers.

Ironman131 said:
I think Seismitoad EX/ Crawdaunt/ hammers could become a new meta deck. Not many pokemon can attack for a single energy and I think it will be tough to get things set up with all the hammers and what not being thrown at you with the deck. The primal pokemon could also see some more play especially Primal Groudon EX because it is good attacker and the AT makes it imune to hammers and lasers.

This is quite a good deck. I' m currently testing it on TCGONE and is gaining may wins/scoops.

With Flareon/Leafeon being gone with the next rotation, Primal decks will be going up in popularity by A LOT. I've been testing Primal Groudon a lot, and it's only true counter is Plasma Leafeon (and VirGen, but that'll be gone too!). Same with Kyogre, a friend of mine plays a Primal Kyogre and it's worst match up is Flareon/Leafeon. Maybe Mega Venasaur will go up in play? the Sceptile in Primal Clash DOES help with acceleration, that paired with it's massive recovery potential could make it really good once the format changes. I can't wait for the rotation!!!!

Eeeeek!!
I do not want to see an increase in those giants! I'm pretty sure 240HP EXs rampaging through the PTCG will not be healthy for the metagame >:U

Back