Contest The Fakers' Marathon! Final Score - 153!

Little over 24 hours left for the activity! Let's see how many points you guys can get during this period. ;)

iXnRxC5.png

http://i.imgur.com/iXnRxC5.png

here's 10 more icey

I'm not going to be able to get all 6 cards done in time for the end of the Marathon sadly, but I can contribute the other Shellos at least!

51i3VW2.png

Shellos (east sea)

This marathon wouldn't be complete if I didn't do one super-sized EX. :p

And what better Pokémon than the mascot of this competition, renowned for its speed?

znkWgFH.png

Thanks to @aschefield101 for the blank, as per usual. :)

168 layers, which is a new record for me.

EDIT: Link:
http://imgur.com/znkWgFH

Last edited:
And with that, the 1st Faker's Marathon is now official over, and we ended up with a whopping 153 points! Thank you to everyone for participating. :) Feel free to share any feedback you have about this event for the future.

It was great to see so many of our fakers come together and work on pumping out some really creative cards. I’ve been personally keeping a close eye on this thread and was captivated by the teamwork you guys put forth. It was also nice to see some of our beloved fakers join us once again (looking at you Reggie :p)

Like Athena mentioned, we would appreciate feedback on the activity:

Did you guys like this sort of activity? What did you feel worked and didn't work too well for you? Is this something you would like to see make a return in the future? If so, what changes would you like to see?

As a text faker, I don't think this was a particularly interesting activity for me because I didn't get any points/recognition for my participation. I get that it's super easy to make text spoilers, but I think that they should still be worth a point or two (while adjusting the point values for image fakes accordingly to recognize the additional work they take).

That said, I really like the activity and I hope you guys do it more! It was nice to come up with card ideas on the fly with this.

I just wanted to point out just how few people submitted cards: reggie had to come back just for this, and I wasn't lying about my homework; if I hadn't had all those illustrations for older cards laying around, and some... unexpected complications with my homework, my count would be zero.

That leaves only BBninjas, who I'm sincerely surprised made only a few basics, jabberwock, TFP, who is starting, and athena, with all her computer problems; an... activity (this doesn't seem a competition, although I don't see the point of the scoring in that case) where only 4 people will participate (right now) doesn't seem all that interesting to onlookers that haven't provided one of the cards featured (also, notice just how many spoilers weren't taken up), as P just said; perhaps if you could somehow set this up so it is a more beginner-friendly activity so as to introduce text fakers (who, unlike image fakers, are aplenty here) to image faking, that could be something.
But I have no idea how you could convince someone to take up image faking.

In addition to that; is the time limit necessary? it would seem as if the only difference between this and a "post any image fakes you want here" thread (since it doesn't have the themes CAC used to) is that deadline, and if you are usually busy, a deadline to come up with and make cards is the last thing you need. It's likely that the only reason I was able to make so many is because my method was designed to be as quick, simple and flexible as possible; making something like jabberwock's EX cards takes a lot more time (with a lot more quality), since they use a more traditional method.

I just wanted to point out just how few people submitted cards: reggie had to come back just for this, and I wasn't lying about my homework; if I hadn't had all those illustrations for older cards laying around, and some... unexpected complications with my homework, my count would be zero.
I think it was one of those "all of a sudden" style things, maybe some form of extra notice for the next one might help there?

That leaves only BBninjas, who I'm sincerely surprised made only a few basics, jabberwock, TFP, who is starting, and athena, with all her computer problems; an... activity (this doesn't seem a competition, although I don't see the point of the scoring in that case) where only 4 people will participate (right now) doesn't seem all that interesting to onlookers that haven't provided one of the cards featured (also, notice just how many spoilers weren't taken up), as P just said; perhaps if you could somehow set this up so it is a more beginner-friendly activity so as to introduce text fakers (who, unlike image fakers, are aplenty here) to image faking, that could be something.
But I have no idea how you could convince someone to take up image faking.
In regards to getting people to do image faking, as you know it's incredibly daunting and requries alot of patience, software (in most cases) and pre-knowledge about basic image editing. That said, there are .PSD and GIMP guides out there for people to simply drag n drop for the basic style cards (Basic, Stage 1/2, none holo, etc).

As for the beginner friendly one, maybe 2 co-existing comps for beginners and one for advanced, spoilers would be needed in abundance for both I wager. Also a frontpage ad would've helped, which I thought was going to happen on here as of the new site update; but there doesn't seem to be much there.

In addition to that; is the time limit necessary? it would seem as if the only difference between this and a "post any image fakes you want here" thread (since it doesn't have the themes CAC used to) is that deadline, and if you are usually busy, a deadline to come up with and make cards is the last thing you need. It's likely that the only reason I was able to make so many is because my method was designed to be as quick, simple and flexible as possible; making something like jabberwock's EX cards takes a lot more time (with a lot more quality), since they use a more traditional method.
Time limit I'm assuming was simply just a mechanic to see what could be done in 'x' time, how the community would approach it, how many, etc. Time limits do work, but I think this one needed to be a bit longer for sure; especially when you consider work required for EX's, FA's and the like.
Some good points prof, my replies in red above.

Overall it's a nice style of comp and something different. However when you compare the old monthly comps vs this one, for turnout/quality/etc then you can see which people do prefer.

I'd love to maybe see a hybrid of both, as there are bits of both that work well.

Just to make things clear, this event was not a replacement for the create-a-cards, its primary purpose was just something for the community to do while we wait for the CaC to get back up and running. :)

Back