Contest The Fakers' Marathon 3! Final Score: 493 points!

Pone

Delta Species is best species
We're very close to the end! Make sure to get all your last-minute entries in within the next 6 hours 4 minutes!

Nyan

She/They
Kabuto.png

Kabutops_GX.png

Riolu.png

Lucario_GX.png

Still probably going to post more

Nemes

Aspiring Trainer
Arceus_The_Wish_Granter.png

Hi everyone, this is my first fake card since 2008. Hope it won't be my last! When I was a kid I loved making fakes and posting them to an italian forum called Pokémon Central. This passion got me into graphics and computer stuff, which then became my studies and then my daily job. So I'm really happy to get back to this hobby, I owe much to it!

Nyan

She/They
M_Lucario_GX.png

This will probably be my last entry this year. This was fun!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Damn all these fakes are so good, I couldn't help but put at least one in as well.

[Basic] Xerneas & Yveltal GX HP280 [Y][D]
[Tag Team]

Ability: Life Itself

Once during your turn, you may reveal a Pokémon from your hand and attach it as Chaos Energy to 1 of your Stage 2 Pokémon. Chaos Energy provides every type of Energy but provides 2 Energy at a time. The attacks of the Pokémon Chaos Energy is attached to do 20 more damage to your oppponent's Pokémon V or Pokémon VMAX. If the Pokémon it is attached to is no longer a Stage 2, discard Chaos Energy.

[Y]+ Fontaine de Jouvence GX
If you go first, you can use this attack on your first turn. Search your deck for up to 3 Stage 2 cards and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. If this Pokémon has at least 1 extra [D] Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack's cost), the first time each of those Pokémon would be Knocked Out, you may discard the top 10 cards of your deck instead. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [M][L] x2
Resistance: [D][P] -30
Retreat: [C][C][C]
TAG TEAM Rule: When your Pokémon TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Yes, I know the Fairy type is discontinued. Sue me. this isn't a CAC

Fun fact. I was originally making two separate cards, but it became very very complicated so I ended up making them into one, which also has the benefit of balancing through GX attack. Also for the record, this card is meant for the current format, not the original TTGX format. Imagine how busted that would be.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Part 6

WKS6Awa.png

Regular art Mega Gardevoir.

AVgDJnp.png
cUbW5yX.png

After the Mega Manectric incident, scientists began studying the effects of Mega Stones on Pokemon and found that many species were made more aggressive by Mega Evolution. Their first experiment, the original Mega Charizard, ultimately proved successful; they were able to isolate what made Charizard turn violent and funnel it into a separate stone. Though this stone was not intended to be used as a Mega Stone, its energy still synced with Charizard (after all, they realized in hindsight, why wouldn't it?) and still allowed it to Mega Evolve... just into a deformed, violent beast who knew no empathy or kindness. This pissed off Pokemon rights activists, who argued that it was morally wrong for scientists to split a Pokemon's essence in this way. Eventually, the experiments that were planned to begin with other Mega Stones were halted, and that is why Charizard is the only Pokemon that has two Mega Stones.

Mewtwo, like Metagross, used its superior intellect to will itself a second Mega Evolution, which gave it a Fighting typing to better combat Dark-types that were immune to its fearsome psychic power.

Mega Charizard Y looks more like the original Mega Charizard did; same color, same body shape. X got the mouth flames and back spikes, but being pumped full of Mega Evolution has turned its body a sickening black and burned its flames so hot they turned blue.

I've been thinking about this way, way too much.

Anyway, both these dudes are masters of killing. Y can slurp up all your discarded Energy and fire off Burn Downs one after the other. X doesn't do as much damage to the Active as Y can, but it can also do massive damage to a Benched Pokemon if you can pay for it. If you're in a hurry, you can use X's Rage Overload for a fast and cheap 160, but the cost is a fairly steep one.

SOoycEZ.png

Mega Salamence's story is another sad one. After having its most deeply held wish come true after evolving into Salamence, Mega Evolution energy has corrupted its most treasured possession--its wings--into something awful and hideous. This is the source of Mega Salamence's aggression, and woe be to anything that gets in its way.

Its card will help it see its revenge. Its Salt in the Wound Ability punishes your opponent whenever they flip tails. It doesn't matter when or what circumstance it is, someone on their field is taking 30 with every tails they flip. Savage Wind isn't all that powerful, and it also gives your opponent a chance to make it do even less damage. If they do, though, their Active Pokemon gets put to sleep, and if they fail the sleep check, you get to snipe for 30. It works as a Bench sitter or as an attacker.

8Nm3QVt.png

If you thought Mega Metagross was bad, imagine that but more powerful by an order of magnitude. Enter Mega Rayquaza, a being so disgustingly powerful that some still consider it a myth. The horrible power of Mega Evolution was not meant to be combined with legendary Pokemon, but that didn't stop Mewtwo...

Some of the Mega Pokemon cards I've made are really strong. Mega Rayquaza stops all of them in their tracks. It makes all of them complete dead weight, shutting off their Abilities and preventing them from attacking. And while Mega Rayquaza doesn't shut off its own Ability, it does shut off an opposing Mega Rayquaza's ability to attack. If you're trying to win with this card, be wary of your opponent's Mega Rayquaza and plan accordingly.

RR6apdw.png

Mega Absol is a Pokemon that hates itself more than it hates others. It exudes Mega Evolution energy, which strikes fear into the hearts of any creature that is subjected to it. What looks like wings is actually just bristling fur, and it can't actually fly, which I'm sure also factors into its aggression.

According to the Pokedex, Absol really hates fighting as Mega Absol. So if you're going to be so heartless as to make your Absol Mega Evolve, you're going to pay a steep price. If you're willing to pay it, though, you get a couple neat effects for your trouble. Preventing your opponent's weakened Pokemon from attacking is a huge deal, and if your opponent does decide to kill it, they won't be able to take Prizes for it. On the flip side, it has zero offensive potential and gains 0-10 HP on evolving, based on current Absol cards in Lackey. Is it worth using? That's up to you to decide.

RgcjV2g.png

Mega Ampharos is an interesting case. It remains the only Pokemon whose behavior was completely unchanged by the dark energies of Mega Evolution. Scientists were amazed to find that it was part Dragon-type, a true Dragon-type, unlike Mega Lopunny's foul and unnatural claim to the Fighting-type. Upon discovery, Ampharos's DNA was further studied, and it was learned that it was, in fact, distantly related to the dragons of ancient times. This was not enough to have it officially given a Dragon sub-type, however.

Ampharos's shtick has been illuminating the surrounding area to help protect people, and that's what you'll get if you use its Light the Way attack. You essentially get two cards of your choice from your deck, although you have to wait to draw one of them until your next turn. Still, knowing what you're gonna draw on your next turn is always a nice feeling, especially when it's something you've hand-picked.

0TPKsQk.png

Lastly, really, actually for realsies lastly, we have Mega Garchomp. It's not the saddest Mega Evolution out there, but it's still sad. Mega Evolution has deformed its arms and wings, turning them into grotesque scythes that Mega Garchomp uses to slice everything in a rage. I only have ten minutes left to post this so that's all you get. Sad boi.

The card's effects are both inspired from existing cards in Lackey. I liked Dragon Swirl's effect, but I also wanted to give it a significant damage bonus since it's a lot harder to power up.

JUST KIDDING FORGOT TO UPLOAD THIS

iGQxpt1.png

MUCH SLICE SUCH SHARP WOW

Anyway thanks for the contest, it was fun.

Last edited:

Pone

Delta Species is best species
And that's a wrap everyone! This year was a resounding success! Seriously, holy cow! Last year we racked up a total of 238 points. This year we absolutely murdered that score by hitting a gargantuan 493 points.

Maybe I you think you didn't hear correctly. I said

493 points!

Yeah. That's more than double last year's score. That is seriously incredible, and I'm so happy to have hosted such a successful event.

Anyway, let's look at some stats!

This year we had a total of 12 unique contestants who altogether submitted 88 cards - just shy of double the number of submissions, which was 45. The participant with the most entries was @PMJ, with a mind-boggling 30 entries, and who alone accounted for 237 of this year's point total. He almost beat last year's score all on his own! No one went for the maximum point score of 15 points this year, but clearly it didn't matter.

As last year, I have a spreadsheet with all the points breakdowns as well as those of previous years here!

This event saw a few new faces to the faking scene as well as some older members taking a poke at it again! We welcome you both and are super excited to see where you go from here! Why don't you take a look at the first Create-a-Card Contest of the year? That theme is gonna inspire some really great and fun cards.

For next year's contest, I want to try and make it possible for text-based entries to have more of an impact on the score. As it stands now text-based entries can only yield 5 points and to me that's a bit unfair. I'm kicking around ideas to work on that, but if you have any ideas, feel free to share them here!

The community is also making a conscious effort to have more custom card events this year, so keep an eye out for those!

Until next time, folks!

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm okay with text entries not being worth as much, because they take significantly less effort to create. That's not a dig at text fakers, that's just the truth of the matter. There are ways to make text entries more aesthetically pleasing, so maybe next time you can have exclusively text-based categories that have an image-based equivalent score weight. Something like offering the holosheet point to a text fake that uses sprites the way Falling Skies did, that was neato. Instead of having everyone use text Energy symbols, why isolate the attack/Ability symbols, make them forum-sized, and upload them somewhere, allowing text fakers to try their hand at using them? That way they could get the same point that image fakers get for full art, or something.

I ain't saying it has to be exactly these points that are worth the same for these things but you understand what I'm getting at. It's a good way to give text fakers a little bit of extra incentive to try, and also leaves the big point values for image fakers (which is how it should be).

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Our talking about custom markers in Discord made me realize I forgot to post this:

n9flANC.png

Mega Evolution energy has made it virtually impenetrable but despite this I like to think that still nobody uses it because of how silly it looks.

Steelix cards have always been fatties and so it makes sense that Mega Steelix is a mega fatty. Its attack is expensive, and takes time, or multiple Mega Steelix, or Mega Metagross, to get going. In the meantime, if you drop him up front, you get some impressive defensive bonuses.

I found the pieces of metal that orbit around Mega Steelix interesting and I wanted to incorporate it into its card design. Scrap markers let you customize your damage output, but as a minor restriction, you can't mark their Active Pokemon. Enjoy!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Massive congrats to everyone for SMASHING last year's record! What a show.

If we're talking point changes, it might also be nice to rework, replace or remove the bonus to people who use custom blanks. It's a nice bonus, but I think this marathon showed that it ends up dis-incentivising the use of official blanks and I don't necessarily see that as a good thing.