Discussion The deck no one thought to play

FarfetchdFan83

Mill Player
I know that this may sound crazy, but ever since the hex maniac ban was announced, I've been testing a deck for expanded. The deck centers around 2 Pokemon that you would never think to play: Flashfire Pyroar and Evolutions Mew. Don't worry, this isn't some joke intended to waste your time, this is actually a good deck. The point of the deck is to play pokemon that your opponent can't hit. In addition to the main 2, the deck also runs Shining Legends Hoopa, Plasma Freeze Latias EX, and Ultra Prism Xurkitree GX. With these pokemon, you can prevent a large number of meta expanded decks from ever attacking you. Combine this with cards like plumeria/flare grunt, lusamine, delinquent, and rocket's handiwork, and you can win a lot of games without even thinking. I highly recommend at least giving this deck a chance if you like to play mill decks. If anyone is interested in a decklist, I will happily share mine.

paintbrushpanda

Delibird Enthusiast
I love this deck. He has shared it to me in the past and it works incredibly. The combination of the Pyroar FLF and the Mew EVO easily lock out many decks, as well as cards like Latias-EX and Hoopa. Some decks simply just can't beat the power of it. On top of that, you have plenty of mill, which makes otherwise difficult matchups a breeze. I would also recommend that if you have Tropical Beaches to try the deck out- it might just become your new favorite.

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
Suicune/Pyroar/Aegislash/Latias was my main deck before Hex was printed. Hoopa and Xurkitree replace Suicune and Aegislash respectively, but the concept's still solid as long as you can stay away from Garbodor and Alolan Muk, or just trap them in the active or KO them. No longer my primary expanded deck but it won its share of games in testing.

arulz

THE SEEKER
What about decks that run a mix? Such as BuzzRock

Seems like it would easily dismantle this type of deck since it runs basic and evolution, GX and non GX, as well as basic energy

Not to mention Zoroark with Alolan Muk

Both of those are top tier and heavily played

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
It's a cute idea, but I don't think this deck saw any success this weekend. There was some chatter on the Twitch stream about it, but I feel like this straight up loses to decks that have several different attackers at its disposal.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Along with the problems mentioned above, the deck also has trouble with ArchieStoise. ArchieStoise has multiple attackers that deal well with whatever wall you throw at them.

FarfetchdFan83

Mill Player
For decks like buzzrock, I just set up a pyroar and get rid of any energies on the lycanroc. It works the vast majority of the time. For muk, I try to get it stuck in the active and getting rid of their DCEs. As for archiestoise, we don't talk about archiestoise

ICEdaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I love gimmicky decks, and this is a nice concept, but (and this is Theoerymon) the deck will get hammered by anything with Stage 1s and basics at it disposal. With Guzma, VS seeker to reuse Guzmas, most decks can just switch around and get the right attacker. Recycling and energy drop decks that use an evolution like Malarmar (Eels, Bronzor, Vikavolt, Magnezone, and the aforementioned Blastiose) and Greninja (water shuriken) I would imagine would own this deck. And that's probably one to many decks to deal with.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
This stall deck is a nice concept but just gets beat out by Garb VERY hard. Considering Drampa/Garb is a popular deck you're most likely losing that MU.

Idk what MUs it would win, but again, seems like a cool idea.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I love gimmicky decks, and this is a nice concept, but (and this is Theoerymon) the deck will get hammered by anything with Stage 1s and basics at it disposal. With Guzma, VS seeker to reuse Guzmas, most decks can just switch around and get the right attacker. Recycling and energy drop decks that use an evolution like Malarmar (Eels, Bronzor, Vikavolt, Magnezone, and the aforementioned Blastiose) and Greninja (water shuriken) I would imagine would own this deck. And that's probably one to many decks to deal with.
Don't forget Metagross!