Discussion The Cube Format

fleshrum

Cephalophore
The recent article about cubes (what a fantastic article, good job Mr Koch) got me thinking.

Do you have a cube? Do you have a quirk or usp for your cube that you'd like to share? How do you organize/protect your cube?

I use basic decks as a backbone. Each player starts with the same 10 cards- 1 Sycamore, 1 Tierno, 2 great ball, 2 dce, 2 smeargle, and 2 eevee, etc and then drafts 3 x 10 XY-on cards in the cube for a 30-card deck. Allows for "high level play" and consistent decks and decreases the number of cards needed in the cube by 30%. In typical half-deck style, the quantity cap on a given card is 2.

All cards in my cube are sleeved and I also have 20 of each basic energy in the same sleeves, and I store it in elite trainer boxes.

How established is this format exactly? I only have one because I love drafting and Magic went completely off the rails a few years ago. I didn't know it was a thing anyone else did.

I actually run a CUBE format once per month at my local league and it is BY FAR the most popular tournament style we have (and we run everything from Standard to Unlimited, U-150, Sealed Draft, Pre-release, etc. You name a format, we have run it at some point or another). I run a full singleton CUBE that is comprised of approximately 1500 cards. I start each player out with a "starter pack" similar to what you receive for modern pre-releases(minus the evolution lines) with a few staples that aren't too powerful. The whole thing is stored in a CUBE box that was actually designed for Magic, as well as some elite trainer boxes for the Energy and the "starter packs". All of my cards are double sleeved and I have an electronic record of all the cards in my CUBE. I have balanced it as best I can, and it is great fun. We have been doing this for about a year now.

@Joseph Redd Hi! I have wondered doing a cube for a while now with my friend but we haven't got long with it. Could you sent the card list for your Cube for me? So we could use that as a base if that is possible? :)

Back