Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not nice to put a start time after the beginning of a school day. >:L

Do you have ideas for a better time that would work for everyone, and one that I would also be around to post during? I'm open to ideas.

Could you do the same time on Saturday? ^.^

Probably. I'm not sure if hubby and I have any plans. Part of that depends on if we get the Switch on release or not.

I'll go ahead and swap it to that for now (and also push the deadline back a day), but I might be a bit late with it if we happen to be out doing something.

I am not a huge fan of it starting at 5am personally, but being on the opposite side of the world from you makes most times a pain in the ass for at least one of the four of us

I am not a huge fan of it starting at 5am personally, but being on the opposite side of the world from you makes most times a pain in the ass for at least one of the four of us

Well, let's try starting a few hours later, then?

Yea, even like, just 2 would be great, though 3 hours would be ideal, that way I can actually get out of bed first haha ^w^
Thanks Athena

How does "Saturday, March 4th at 9:00pm Central European Time, 8:00pm GMT, 3:00pm Eastern US time, 12:00pm (noon) Pacific US time" sound for everyone?

Final Challenge Game:
Kingdom of Loathing
Game Link (Online Browser Game)

Welcome to Kingdom of Loathing. An adventurer is you! This game has been around for a whopping 14 years now. I first played it myself back in 2006 with my then-boyfriend, and I played regularly for several years. I also met my current husband there, and I'm still an active moderator in the games section of the forums.

The premise of the game is fairly simple: you are an adventurer exploring the titular kingdom, wandering around various areas and performing tasks for the Council of Loathing, as they'd taken over things ever since the Naught Sorceress imprismed the good King Ralph XI. It's a spoof on RPGs filled with lovingly-crafted stick figure art and lots and lots of pop culture jokes. The game itself is simple to learn, but has surprisingly in-depth gameplay as you start learning how to improve your ascensions. In short, it's a game you start to play for the jokes, but stick around for speed-running and optimizing mechanics.

How to Play:

You do not need to make an actual account to play (though you can if you wish). Simply press the giant Play! button on the front page; pick a gender, class, and character name; and you're ready to begin! For the purposes of this game's goal, any class will suffice, though I will say that it will probably be easier if you start as either a Muscle class (Seal Clubber, Turtle Tamer) or Moxie class (Disco Bandit, Accordion Thief).

Once you have made your account, post in this thread to share your username and class choice.

There is an in-game tutorial that will teach you the basics of how to actually play the game, then you will be unleashed on the world where you can start your quest to collect the objects you need to reach your goal.

NOTE: In the event that you have actually played this game and already have an account (unlikely but possible), you must still make a new account for the purposes of this challenge.

Goal:

In order to win this round, you must collect and equip 6 different items. Each of these items can be obtained by a fairly low-level character, so they should not take too much time or effort to acquire.

Hat: Viking Helmet
Weapon: Asparagus Knife
Off-Hand: Low Budget Shield
Pants: Chain-Mail Monokini
Accessory 1: Dirty Hobo Gloves
Accessory 2: Shiny Ring

Players can use a SoSMA to learn the specific locations/requirements to find any of these items. See the SoSMA section below for more details.

Submission:

Once you have obtained the items, you must verify your in-game inventory to me via PM either by screenshot or photograph.

Open up the Equipment section of your inventory tab, equip all of the required items at once, and follow the following instructions for providing proof:
  • Screenshot: your image must include PokéBeach open in a separate tab. See here for an example. If there's info in a full screenshot like this that you don't want to show, open it in Paint first and black the sensitive stuff out.
  • Photograph: your image must include a post-it or other piece of paper with your PokéBeach username written on it. Like this! Your inventory and both usernames must be legible.

As this is a race, the round will automatically end as soon as all 3 players have submitted their inventories. However, as mentioned in the earlier post, there is a hard deadline as well. That deadline is Wednesday, March 8th at 5:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 4:00pm GMT, 11:00am Eastern US time, 8:00am Pacific US time, or approximately 4 hours before the time of this post in your own time zone.

Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant

(Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.)

SoSMA: Help! How can I get this?: If you cannot seem to figure out how to obtain any of the required items, you can PM me the name of the item and use a SoSMA and I will tell you flat out where and how to get it while playing the game. You can use as many SoSMA as you like in this way.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

And that should be everything! If you have any generic questions about the game, feel free to ask. :)

@Jabberwock @Skyleaf2000 @Vracken

Last edited:
@Jabberwock @Skyleaf2000 @Vracken

There are two mistakes I made in yesterday's round posting, so I'm here to correct them:

1) I accidentally posted on Friday instead of Saturday. >_< I didn't forget that we had switched to Saturday, I just literally forgot that yesterday was Friday. (In my defense, my husband had a half day off of work and we spent most of the day doing weekend things which is probably why I got confused :p). As a result, I am slightly changing how points will be rewarded for this round, to make it more fair to those who were expecting a later start: All players who submit before Midnight EST (9pm PST, 6am Sun CST) will receive top points for this round. That gives all players 9 hours to complete the hunt from the originally-planned time to receive full points, plus any other time over the last ~12 hours that it's already been live.

2) I forgot about the rather steep equip requirements for the Troutpiece, and as such, I have changed the Pants slot to a different item that can be obtained in the same place but equipped much more easily: the Chain-Mail Monokini. (This is what happens when you're an old, long-time player and stat requirements are so much easier to reach quickly that you just forget about them.)

Sorry for the problems!

To compensate for the fact that all players can receive top points for this particular round, the point structure for the final round will change slightly (mostly expanded).

Everyone submitted, yay! :D

That means full points for all, and the final round will probably start tomorrow. Stay tuned!

brBhxst.png

Queen Athena arranged a game scavenger hunt for everyone to play in the penultimate round, but unfortunately there was some confusing regarding the timing, and not everyone was able to start at the same time. To make up for her failure, the Queen announced that everyone who completed within a certain time frame would be awarded full points.

The Queen was sitting in her throne room when all three challengers arrived, having completed the task with plenty of time to spare! She was definitely pleased at the quick results, and, as promised, awarded everyone full points for completing the task on time.

"Of course, I wasn't planning on everyone being able to get the top score, so we're going to add on some additional available points in the last round, which will be starting now." Athena chuckled when she saw all three challengers mouth fall open with shock. "Don't worry. It's not a speed challenge this time, so you won't be rushed. I was rather disappointed in how the last writing challenge turned out, so I'll be giving you all a chance to make up to me with one more writing assignment. Your final writing assignment. Instructions will be found in your rooms. You have a week to complete them, and then a final winner will be announced!"

MzBptAg.png

@Jabberwock - 3 points
@Skyleaf2000 - 3 points
@Vracken - 3 points

As a result, the current standings are:
Ay7qi19.png

My apologies once again for messing up the timing of the last challenge, but I'm glad everyone was able to submit. In fact, all submissions were sent in to me before the challenge should have technically started. :p For anyone curious, Vracken submitted first, almost right after I fixed the Troutpiece error, then Skyleaf and finally Jabber submitted 5 minutes apart from each other.

The Final Challenge
Final Round

In the final round, all remaining challengers will be completing a writing assignment with points awarded based on secret categories.

Instructions:
  1. Each challenger will write and submit a final essay based on their experiences in the challenge. Your essay you be written from you personally, not from your character, and can talk about anything and everything you'd like to discuss and/or give feedback on about this instance of The Challenge from start to finish.
  2. Your essay must be at least 400 words, and no longer than 1000 words.
  3. Once completed, PM your essay to me with the text of the write-up directly in the body of the PM.
  4. The deadline for submission is Monday, March 13th at 5:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 4:00pm GMT, 11:00am Eastern US time, 8:00am Pacific US time, or approximately 2 hours past the time of this post in your own time zone.
  5. Once all players have submitted, or once the deadline has been reached, points will be awarded based on secret categories. More information about this can be found in the Scoring section below.
  6. If any player does not submit anything before the timed deadline, which effectively means they are choosing not to participate in the round, they will receive -1 point. At this point in the game, not submitting effectively loses the challenge for you.
  7. This is the final challenge, so it's your last opportunity to score points!

Scoring:

Points in this round are scored based on how your essay performs in certain secret criteria. All of these secret criteria have already been decided and recorded before this is posted. There are 7 total different criteria you can be awarded points for, in two separate categories:
  1. Rank (3 criteria) - There are 3 different criteria in which your essay will be directly ranked against the other two challengers' essays. These categories are subjective. In the event of a tie, both tied players will earn the higher score.
    1. If your essay scores the highest in a particular category, you earn 3 points.
    2. If your essay scores the second in a particular category, you earn 2 points.
    3. If your essay scores the lowest in a particular category, you earn 1 point.
  2. Topics (4 criteria) - There are 4 topics that I have selected that each have certain specifics that may appear in your essay. Each topic has 3 potential specifics, with more difficult/obscure specifics being worth more points.
    1. If your essay mentions any of the specifics for a given topic, you earn 1-3 points for that topic, depending on the level.
    2. If your essay does not mention any of the specifics for a given topics, you earn 0 points for that topic.
In total, this means you have the potential to earn anywhere between 3 and 21 points for this round of the challenge, though I expect scores to fall more along the middle lines.

Overall Information About The Final Challenge:
  1. The Final Challenge will contain 7 rounds total.
  2. Each round will see competitors competing in a mini-challenge where they will earn a number of points based on their success in that round compared to the other players.
  3. Refusal to participate in a particular round will earn that challenger a negative point.
  4. Once all rounds have been completed, the challenger with the most points will be crowned the winner.
  5. In the event of a tie at the end of the seventh round, an additional round will be played to serve as a tie-breaker between the tied parties.

Are you going to be sharing what we write? I don't mind the other finalists reading it, but just random other people I don't really want them to

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back