Finished The Challenge: Season 6 - The Winner Crowned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

Wheeeee~
RE: The Challenge: Season 6 - Challenge 3 Posted!

The deadline was left up in the air for several weeks, and all teams were unfortunately apathetic over it. When the two spectators on the island, Athena and rev3rsor, told the teams about deadline information, all of them buckled down to work. Well, mostly. It's was now time to share the speeches whether the teams actually had something prepared or not...

Four teams strolled onto the stage, said their speeches confidently and strolled back off again that day. A team crowded around a giant Yoshi plushie were feeling happy, as was the somewhat geeky group from before playing with their robots. The Crushing Hammers had actually delivered their speech a day earlier, so were enjoying their ice slushies and wearing parkas in the front row of the crowd. After the Centurions were done with their speech, the announcer, bbninjas, called on Eccellente to finally deliver. He had given them the day to get something prepared. Nervously, the 4 remaining players walked on-stage solemnly. Camoclone opened his mouth to speak, but began mumbling before the full team name could even come out. Celever decided to interrupt things before things got too awkward.

The next day, bbninjas and Celever gathered the 5 teams into the hall, with feedback on the speeches they had heard yesterday. Their professional typist had also recorded the teams' speeches on the island's computer:

The Results
Yoshi_banner.jpg

Yoshi is the definition of teamwork, without his help Mario is dead on World 1-1. He can be described as a friendly character in Mario or spin-off games. He is willing help the team no matter when or where. In his first appearance in "Super Mario World",and many other games, Yoshi can be rode on by the protagonist to help advance though the games. Sometimes Yoshi makes the ultimate sacrifice, his life. A character who is will to give his life for the betterment of a team is a true friend and a better leader to follow. If you all think Yoshi is all nice no bite, we have some news for you! Yoshi has decimated enemies that Mario couldn't beat and no one could forget Yoshi's powerful tongue! He is able to breathe fire, spit projectiles, and even cause small earthquakes. A leader who is can lead by example is the right kind of leader and can help everyone.

Other franchises just don’t compare to Yoshi. Wario is a greedy, selfish man you only thinks for himself. Electing him would be your biggest mistake. He would not make the choice for the group and would willing sacrifice others for his own needs. As for Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus, and R.O.B., when is the last time they had their own title to a game? Its been a long time, so long that most younger aged kids wouldn’t know who they were. They would recognize them Smash Brawl, that is it. Yoshi has stayed relevant for twenty-five years and counting.

The Yoshi franchise is by far the best candidate for mayor since he can lead by example, protect others, and is the most understanding. With Yoshi being a team player he can make sacrifices the other franchises aren’t willing to make. He can protect others with his various powers and inspire them. Lastly, with him being an animal himself he can relate to the animal on Animal Crossing. He would be more inclined to help them compared to R.O.B. who is all about technology, Wario who would take advantage of them, and the Ice Climbers who spend their time on ice bergs.

We plan to take our franchise to the stars and beyond! We want to help others overcome their problem with no expense to them. Our mission is to help others in anyway we can and to take Yoshi to areas that no other character or franchise has gone!

Pros:
  • Nice humour; I actually laughed out loud myself a little bit at some points.
  • Use of material from other franchises to diss them.
  • Fairly detailed background information with references to several games
  • The speech is short and sweet, so it doesn't bore us
  • Referenced to Challenge 3's franchise, Animal Crossing, which was a nice little touch

Cons:
  • Kid Icarus' last game released was actually 2012 with Kid Icarus: Uprising for the Nintendo 3DS.
  • For such a short essay, the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes was somewhat poor. However, I know that you rushed it a little bit. Not giving you any sympathy for it, just putting it out there :p
  • Abysmal teamwork, honestly.
  • No mention of your own team name.
  • Didn't mention any of your plans for the future, which was one third of your required material.

QzipFfD.jpg

Mora: Ice Climbers is a classic; it's one of those old school, nostalgic Nintendo games that everyone has heard of. Released January 30, 1985, the game focuses on two characters, Popo and Nana, as they scale a glacier, defeating enemies along the way. Newer gamers may not be as familiar with or even care about those games with lesser quality graphics and little to no plot, but if you were around for that generation, you knew that they captured something special. There's something about games like these that, no matter what happens to your taste in gaming, whether you're into the new Call of Duty 57 or waiting for the next disappointing game in the Elder Scrolls series, you can always uncover your NES in the attic, bring it down, dust it off, and think, "These were the days."

Mora: The game play is all basically the same. Nothing really changes; you just scale a glacier, evade enemies, go for high scores, what-have-you. There's also really no plot either. So what is it about these games that give it the quality of being a classic? While it is true that there is plenty of room for the concept of the game to be expanded upon with new features, such as improved graphics, different hammers with new abilities adapted for personal playstyles, non-linear gameplay, etc., I think that takes away from the simplicity of the game. I think it's precisely because it is a simpler game that makes it a classic and easy for anyone to enjoy. In this case, simplicity can be a good thing that provides a much needed escape from the complex nature of modern gaming. Take Pokémon for example. The concept of the game is definitely enjoyable, but there's a lot of complex decision-making that goes into team building if you want to be competitive. Once you know about all of the mechanics in Pokémon like IV's, effort values, natures, and the metagame, it makes it hard to just play the game without worrying about all of that stuff. And I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of riding up and down Cycling Road until an egg hatches with a 6 IV shiny. And Pokémon isn't even the tip of the Iceberg (see what I did there); Dark Souls presents you with an open universe to explore and absolutely no explanation of where you're supposed to go next or even what you're supposed to do once you get there. That, in combination with character-building and insane levels of difficulty, makes it easy to see how such a game can be overwhelming for some players and enjoy. Every time I try to play Minecraft, I just fly around in circles thinking, "What do I want to build?" The Battle Network series in some ways plays a lot like a card game, and we all know how much thinking that requires. A simple game like Ice Climbers doesn't have any of these problems because of how straightforward it is.

[Enter Keeper of Night]

Keeper of Night: That is why Ice Climbers is the best game in existence. You guys were stupid to not put Ice Climbers in the new Super Smash Game. They’re adorable and just plain awesome, unlike Wario who’s a fat old man. And somehow R.O.B found his way into The Challenge; I can’t even believe that piece of junk was considered as a “franchise”. We’re the best Challenge team there is; better than Yoshi because dinosaurs are extinct! And better than Kid Icarus because his hair is a disaster compared to Ice Climbers, whose hair is nice and tidy under their stylish hoodies (which, by the way, are so much cooler than togas). To sum it up for you. We’re great. You suck. Get over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbqGkS1...GbqGkS1c2w

Pros:
  • I liked the idea of a script based on who wrote which sections.
  • Once again, good humour.
  • Even though I'm only young, I really liked the end of your intro, since that's me :p. The NES is still a lot of fun even if I don't have Ice Climber on it.
  • Decent teamwork. There was a quick brainstorm session at the start, and most of the ideas were used. The long period of inactivity wasn't so good, though.
  • Fast to submit, which made the other teams submit quickly too.

Cons:
  • References to many franchises not already in The Challenge for comparison's sake. Kid Icarus: Uprising would have been a good game to compare your simplicity to, since it has so many menus, modes, and customisable weapons.
  • You stated that you wouldn't improve graphics, which just seems like a basic decision for your franchise leading into the future. You also didn't really provide a reason why you wouldn't improve them, as graphics in a game matters little to a game's complexity.
  • No mention of your own team name.
  • Not too much writing based on your actual franchise, so fairly brief backstory. However, Ice Climber is a very simple game, so it's not so bad.
  • The comparisons to other franchises in The Challenge were... insulting. Not really to my tastes.
  • The song was... weird...

5frANXT.png

Out of many video game franchises, one stands out from the rest due to its spectacular (but very few) games. This series is none other than the Kid Icarus games: Kid Icarus, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. This series’ merits (talking mainly about the largest and most recent game, Uprising) include replayability, stage layout, different play modes, the Vault, and its amazing reception. All of these things make up a very strong series just dying for a new game.

This series has excellent replayability. First off, there are so many hidden items and places that you can’t tell if a few things are supposed to be secret or not! The cast’s “guidance” is chock full of funny moments and strange occurrences dripping with sarcasm from the whole group. The cast is also so wide that it’s easy to not think about a few characters until they blast you in the face with a snide comment. That alone never gets old! There is an extensive online play program where you can team up against others or just go after everyone. The treasure hunt unlocks multiple idols, multiplayer stages, songs for the music player, and others. Finally, the three stages of gameplay in each stage(air battle, land battle, and boss battle) give it just that extra sprinkle of diversity necessary for a game that can be constantly played over and over again.

Another merit of this series is the stage layout. In Kid Icarus, you went either upwards or sideways. The game used wraparound on the left and right side, giving the potential to hide some items. In Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, the screen scrolled in all four directions. This eliminated the need for wraparound and gave a more extensive map. Finally, Kid Icarus: Uprising has three stages of gameplay as well as easily forgotten secrets like the Zodiac Weapon chambers and what is to be found behind Intensity Gates. Intensity Gates block secret areas and only open when you are playing on a certain difficulty, or Intensity. For example, one Intensity Gate in the first level opens only if you are playing that level on difficulty 5.0 or above. The stage layout clearly shows merit and how this series could get another game.

There are also many ways to play this game. In the first two games, you only had your main story mode. However, in the newest game, you have many different game modes. First of all, you still have your 3-stage gameplay of Single Player, with those secrets, Intensity Gates, and 25 levels. You also have Boss Battles mode which is unlocked by completing every level. The training mode allows you to test weapons in both land and air combat. Finally, multiplayer can be played with other people who have the game both locally and online, as well as in two different modes: Free-for-All(every man for himself) and Light vs. Dark(Two teams of three fight each other. When someone goes down, the team gauge is depleted. When the gauge is empty, the person who got out most recently becomes an angel. The angel gets a new weapon and a larger health gauge. When the angel is defeated, the other team wins). This series has so much potential, it’s impossible not to give it another game!

Next, we have a new mode introduced in Kid Icarus: Uprising: the Vault. The Vault is a mode where you can listen to unlocked music, look at idols, and much more. First of all, you can view special Kid Icarus AR cards. Viewing them gives you their respective idols, and, if you put two cards under the camera, you can make the idols fight. Six cards come with each game. Next, we have the Idol Viewer. This allows you to look at idols that you have collected. It also shows flavor text for each idol, describing what it is and putting in a little gag or interesting factoid. Yet another thing in the vault is My Music. This allows you to listen to all of the music you have collected through Treasure Hunt. You can also go to options from here, where you can change the goddess that you use for your single player menu screen. You can also change reticle settings (intended for people who want even more difficulty) and how you play the game. Finally, you can offer hearts(the game’s form of currency) to your selected goddess, but all this does is make her walk closer to the screen. That is what you can find in the Vault.

This series is, as a note to Nintendo, very well received. Retro Gamer’s Stuart Hunt called the original game the “unsung hero of the NES”. The second game was called "a solid title that has undeservedly been all-but-forgotten" by IGN editor Audrey Drake and "not as punishing” as the original game. Finally, Kid Icarus: Uprising was probably the most well received, being given a perfect 40/40 rating by Famitsu even though Game Informer was more critical. It was named best portable game of 2012 by Gamereactor. These games are so good, and at the same time, have so much promise! The reception would definitely give Nintendo what they needed to continue making games and to return to its former glory.

Alright, as you can see, this series deserves another game. With everything about it, it’s only natural that it gets another, humongous game. It would be so much easier to make a new game with all of the myths and legends in Greek Mythology. There’s only one of the 12 Olympians mentioned(Hades doesn’t count, he stays in the Underworld), and that is Poseidon. All of them should play a part! This series is just begging for a new game, an amazing one that it deserves. After all. we should know best, since we are the Centurions and Our Aim is True, pointing to this fantastic series as the winner.

Pros:
  • Covers most, if not all, of the notable features in the game, and doesn't abandon the first two games in the franchise in favour of Kid Icarus: Uprising entirely.
  • Critic scores.
  • Reference to the competition's flavour.
  • Using the team's motto in the conclusion

Cons:
  • Kinda long... I got a bit bored reading it, tbh.
  • Could have elaborated more on the different specific mechanics mentioned. You never explained what "guidance" really is, for example.
  • Repeating of oneself.
  • Included a poor critic score for some reason.

cmqWp0U.png

“Beep, Boop, Baaaaappp, Brapppppp, Beeboo, bop, brrrr!” (R.O.B, Super Smash Bros 4, 2014)
This quote is really the defining moment in what makes Gyromite the greatest gaming franchise of all time. Our star character, ROB, also known as the Robotic Operating Buddy, is a household name. Even families that do not own a gaming console of any description have heard about the fame that is our hero. Here at Gyromite, we have an extensive and rich history that dates all the way back to 1985. Our history, combined with our advanced technologies, namely our Robotic Operating Buddy, is the cornerstone of our franchise and its success. I guess you could even say that it is the base of an industrious, concrete and well stacked tower, as seen in our popular game, Stack-Up.
We are going to be hearing from the rest of our board now who will be filling you in more on our background, our competition in our industry, and also our plans for the future, which, believe me, are extensive and are being carefully designed, even as I speak to you now. At Gyromite “We are programmed to win,” so sit back and relax, take some notes! You’re about to taken on a side-scrolling adventure of how we HAVE maintained, and also how we ensure that we do maintain our highest quality of gaming technology.

Our history of gaming is industriously rich, consisting of both Gyromite and Stack Up and last but not the very least, our hero, R.O.B.

Gyromite is all about the brilliant Professor Hector and his splendid assistant Professor Vector. The player follows these two professors in their puzzling adventure against the Smicks, and a large array of dynamite. Experience how to survive from Professor Hector's bad habit of sleep-walking as you try to stay alive. But don't worry! You won't catch that particular bad habit by playing this game so, parents, no worries there. You can play it all alone in single-player mode or even share the fun with your best buds in the multi-player mode.

Stack Up, on the other hand, consists of 2 major gameplay modes that would fill your daily planner to the max with hours upon hours of unique gaming experience. You could be Professor Hector who works with R.O.B. to organize blocks or be as Professor Vector who competes for control of R.O.B. against the "glitches" named Spike & Flipper. You could also compete against your own assistant Professor Vector in this never ending fun.

Among all our invention, I dare say that R.O.B. is our most creative ones yet. This robotic machine comes as a must have accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) for a better experience of our games. R.O.B allows you, the player, to experience the games in such an interactive way, that you feel like you are really on the screen alongside the Professors!

Compared to the rest of the competition there is really no comparison! When you look at our history, our designs, and our games you will see that nothing is remotely close to our superiority in the gaming world. Can any of you name any game, apart from our own, where the controller you use is designed like the main character? Can any of you name any game that makes you feel like you are actually in the game alongside the main characters?
I can tell you now that we are above the pack in this regard. Compared to other franchises including Pikmin, Ice Climbers and WarioWare, we are so far above and on leading edge in current and updated technologies, both gaming and otherwise. And with the odds literally Stacked Up in our favour, how can we lose?

Despite our age we, here at Gyromite, are still able to come up with ideas that are able to compete among the biggest franchises. New games are being discussed and developed on every day, and we work hard to satisfy our fans by releasing only the best of the best. Our future games have carefully been selected and tested so that they will not only please our older fans, but also introduce new players into the world of Gyromite.

Among the future games that are in development, is “R.O.B’s Big Adventure”. This game focuses on R.O.B that must attempt to safe Professor Hector after he’s been kidnapped by the glitched robots “Spike & Flipper” and their evil creator Professor Vector. This game will have an open 3-d world, with multiple stages and obstacles, and will be available on not only the 3ds, but also the Wii and Wii U.

We’ve also been working with Disney to create the very first R.O.B movie. The movie will follow R.O.B’s adventure as he attempts to rescue Professor Hector. The movie will feature many familiar faces from the Gyromite franchise, among them; the Smicks, Spike and Flipper, however it will also feature brand new characters. Characters from other Nintendo franchises, such as Pikmin, will also appear in the movie as supporting characters.

We’re planning to release both the movie and the game in early 2016, however we do also have a Stack-Up puzzle game coming out in August 2015, and a Gyromite figure set featuring R.O.B, Professor Hector, The Smicks and many more characters from the Gyromite universe.

So as you can see, we here at Gyromjte are Stacked Up higher than the rest of our competition. In both past and future gaming technologies we possess the most experienced developing team in their field allowing us to give the world the latest and greatest before the gaming community even catches on!
So remember, we at Gyromite are programmed to win. Stay tuned to everything we are doing as it's going to revolutionise the world of gaming as we all know it.

Pros:
  • Well summarised background of your franchise's two games.
  • Unique phrasing, making it seem like an actual speech.
  • Nice wordplay.
  • A film is really creative and effective at the same time! I love that idea!
  • The introduction was unique and pretty effective.

Cons:
  • The longest speech out of all of them; too long, honestly.
  • No mention to your own team name.
  • Large claims... aka lies. I'd argue that a huge number of households havne't heard of R.O.B., for example. Hell, I own an NES and only learnt of R.O.B. through Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
  • Your main selling point, the controller being shaped like a main character in the game, was also done by Wii Fit and the Wii Balance Board. I just feel like it is worth pointing out, since you claimed there are no other games like it. If you had just referenced Wii Fit briefly I would have been happier.
  • Pikmin is the host's franchise for the purpose of examples, not a team's franchise. Insulting our franchise didn't get you any bonus marks, just saying! :p
  • Making it multi-platform across the Wii, Wii U and 3DS is just ineffectual. It will be very difficult to sell any new games on the Wii after the next gen console has been out for over 2 years now, and creating a version on the 3DS with severely limit the Wii U version, assuming you want to keep them similar. If not, you should release two totally different titles instead.

Please note that the feedback got a bit more negative the further down the teams go. I began to lose interest a little as I marked, but the final standings are what really matter, and I have thought about these with a clear mind, so don't take a long list of cons as an immediate loss. I also want to say that I actually was genuinely impressed with 4/5 speeches, the 5th still not having arrived yet.

Final Standings:
Centurions
The Crushing Hammers
Team GYR.O.B
The Egg Knights
Eccellente

Celever then stood up to make an announcement: "Congratulations to our winners! This was an incredibly tough call, but there was just some levels of refinement and genuine pleasure I got from attending the Centurions' speech, and I know that bbninjas felt the same way attending The Crushing Hammers's speech. In the end, we both had to come to a final standing, though...

But that's not the main thing we want to talk about. This challenge wasn't originally going to end in an elimination, but Eccellente actually failed to deliver anything even remotely like a speech. As such, they will be eliminating a play.... huh?"" Celever promptly ran outside to see 3 participants on the shoreline. These players were Snaquaza, TheGuy and Wailord_2. They held hands, and together plunged into the water. Snaquaza, TheGuy and Wailord_2 have eliminated themselves from the competition! "Wait," cried King Xerneas, Luispipe8 and Camoclone, carrying a sleeping Tails on their shoulders, "take him too!" Tails has been modkilled for inactivity.
"Does this count as your elimination vote?" Celever asked, to a response of 3 ferociously nodding heads.

Challenge 3 (Part 2) will be up tomorrow, or possibly later tonight if you're lucky. Take this as an opportunity to discuss this challenge's rankings and final results.

Squirtle Squad

Aspiring Trainer

Just pointing out that Centurions speech was longer than ours... #waytoolong

Anyways. Bring on the next challenge!

Cypher333

time to run

Whoops, I got a bit carried away on length :(

But hey, we won, so a bit of boredom was worth it...I hope.:p

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Comparisons=Whole Point
Song=Whole Point
Comparisons=Whole Point=Song
Comparisons=/=Song
Whole Point=?

GG, Keeper. ;)

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Yay, my team did well! Woooooo~~~

c2sYKSg.gif

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

Is that supposed to get you any gif-getting points? >:U

Blui

lv85 paladin

Centurion hype! I guess we can thank Green Hair Waifu for our victory :3

tumblr_n8pidz7M2l1qmkww5o1_500.png

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Keeper of Night said:
Luispipe8 said:
Comparisons=Whole Point
Song=Whole Point
Comparisons=Whole Point=Song
Comparisons=/=Song
Whole Point=?

GG, Keeper. ;)

I didn't understand any of that. gg

Just fixed it, I forgot a line. :v

Celever

Wheeeee~

m75pUDT.png

[img=400x300]http://www.animal-crossing.com/newleaf/_ui/downloads/AnimalCrossing_wallpaper_800x600-A.jpg[/img]​

Still shocked by the 4 deaths from yesterday (most of these competitors are just leaving the island...), the 20 remaining challengers headed back to the main foyer, where Celever and bbninjas were waiting. "Hey..." said bbninjas. He had heard about what happened only a couple of hours earlier. "This really is a grim day for us, but as you all slacked so much on the last challenge, it's time to get moving!"

"Unfortunately, Eccellente will not be able to participate in these challenges. By the end of challenge 3, another player will be eliminated, but for challenge 4 each team must have a minimum of 3 players left. We cannot risk you losing another one." Celever explained. Camoclone, Luispipe8 and King Xerneas all looked deeply disappointed with the news, but Celever just shrugged. What could he do?

"So, Animal Crossing is still the theme here," bbninjas stated, "and you've now started your mayoral campaigns. However, a mayor is nothing without their loyal supporters, and you currently have none. Get to work on that!"

THE CHALLENGE (PART 2):
  • You've made your speech (hopefully). So... DONT STAND THERE DO SOMETHING
  • Each team must find supporters! Yay! This is done by a member of the PB community (not on your team) posting in the main thread, stating which team they support. This post just needs to clearly show which team they are supporting, there are no restrictions besides that. This post is called a supporter's confirmation.
  • This means you have to go and FIND your supporters. You guys want to be the best, and want to be elected, right?
  • The amount of supporters you need to win is based on your performance in Challenge 3 (part 1). This means that the Centurions need to gether 5 supporters, The Crushing Hammers 7 , Team GYR.O.B 8, and The Egg Knights 9.
  • Only one team can be supported per PB member... meaning 1 Supporters Comfirmation per outsider. You may not support your own team.
  • Players can cross the floor to support another team! Yes, traitors are allowed!
  • You have until Wednesday the 12th Midnight GMT to reach your team's supporter goal. If less than 2 teams reach their goal, then the two groups closest to their respective goal wins!
  • However, if two teams meet their desired number of supporters before deadline, deadline will be called, and the two remaining teams will duke it out in the elimination challenge: part 3. This challenge will also include activities for the 3 teams not in danger of elimination, so don't worry about throwing this so as to not be bored! ;)

As Celever explained the new challenge to the 4 teams still participating in Challenge 3, a couple of the participants noticed bbninjas wandering off into Eccellente's room. "What could he be doing in there?" everyone wonders, as they decide to buckle down to work.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
RE: The Challenge: Season 6 - Challenge 3 Part 2 Posted!

Do our current supporters count? Also why not make it tree challenges in a row men!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

You technically don't have current supporters... they have to officially support you first as shown in the OP.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Okay, I think that's taken care of. Contacted maybe 10-15 people.

Jeremy1026

Aspiring Trainer
RE: The Challenge: Season 6 - Challenge 2 Results!

rev3rsor said:
I personally think Centurions' banner looks quite nice (i.e. moreso than the others), so I suppose I'll root for them for now.
Good luck guys ^v^

Hey r3v, we need you to be an official supporter!

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

Oh gosh, if I support one team I'll be spurning the others...

The first team/team member to show me a blue Mega Rayquaza gets my support!

Status
Not open for further replies.