Discussion The Campaign to save the Pokemon TCG

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Buzzwole players and Zoroark players, listen one and all. Today (as of when I published this...) it has leaked in Japan that a new, overpowered Shaymin-on-steroids-style card is
going to be released in February. Yes, I'm talking about you, Dedenne-GX. I'll link to this if I must, down here:
http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/10/night-unison-rumored-to-feature-gx-similar-to-shaymin-ex
Ok, so what's so bad about this card? Well, everything. Here are a few key pointers:
1. Aggro decks are broken.
Yes, I'm talking about you, Rayquaza... Also any other crazy aggro deck that comes out (and at this rate you'd think they're reprinting LTC...) With Dedenne in format, aggro decks will get so fast we'll once more see a return to the bad old days of 10-minute first turns and the like. Oh, and did I mention we don't have Garbodor or N to keep it all in check anymore?
2. Zoroark is (even more) broken.
Apologies here to Tord Reklev or any other Zoroark player right now. I've never been a fan of Zoroark myself, but, seriously, Zoroark with Lele AND Dedenne? That consistency is just gonna be crazy.
3. Big Basics is broken (again).
Am I the only person who loved this meta where you could actually play evolutions. Nah. We can't play them anymore! When Dedenne comes out, once more we will see a return to the bad old days of aggressive basic brokenness.
4. The MONEY.
In a Standard format with little other draw support, pretty much every deck is gonna have to play 3-4 of these things to survive. With each of these probably costing around $50, this is gonna make the TCG WAY too expensive.
5. Expanded.
OK yeah, Expanded is broken already, but hey. Being able to play 4 Dedenne and 4 Shaymin in your deck? SERIOUSLY?

Ladies and gentlemen, there is only one way for us to save the Pokemon TCG from domination by OP cards. We must fight this and campaign to save the Pokemon TCG! Please like this post to show that you care and that, no matter what, the brokenness will never win! :)
#SaveTheGame :)

LTC stands for Lysandre's Trump Card. (Karen but for all cards)
I played in that format. (Basically Toad with 4 Shaymin and all kinds of nastiness and LTC so you never deck out.)
Oh yes, Shrine as well.

LTC stands for Lysandre's Trump Card. (Karen but for all cards)
I played in that format. (Basically Toad with 4 Shaymin and all kinds of nastiness and LTC so you never deck out.)
Oh yes, Shrine as well.
oh, disgusting.

I think they should just buy back all the sun/moon cards, burn them, and start fresh with x/y

Honestly, TPCi and their treatment of the community is kinda crappy.
They, imo, don’t listen to us at all, and just print cards that will make money.
Most people hated NM, and they reprinted it (albeit worse) in lost march
People like this slow format, they print broken cards
The balance of this game is all sorts of whack.

Honestly, TPCi and their treatment of the community is kinda crappy.
They, imo, don’t listen to us at all, and just print cards that will make money.
Most people hated NM, and they reprinted it (albeit worse) in lost march
People like this slow format, they print broken cards
The balance of this game is all sorts of whack.
I totally agree! This format is just crazy. They just seem to be reprinting everything we hated about the Pokemon TCG. Will they ever learn!

It's a competitive Pokemon TCG page where people shitpost and sometimes give out good info. When I say sometimes I mean barely ever. It's closer to a meme page than a discussion page.

It's a competitive Pokemon TCG page where people shitpost and sometimes give out good info. When I say sometimes I mean barely ever. It's closer to a meme page than a discussion page.

You can really push their buttons, though. It's really funny. I find it kind of uncouth and strange that the people who run a lot of Pokemon groups like Virbank are the same ones who are regional organizers and judges. They get to set the course of discussion and discord if they don't like something, and it happens on those a lot. Things like discussions about cheating and judging errors have gotten deleted and swept under the rug -unless you were Igor Costa. They let that kid get ritually sacrificed.

Foolish notion to think it breaks anything. Will it help speed decks sure but will it automatically change how every deck is made definitely not. Shaymin stopped being used in most decks right around when when guardians rising came out not because lele replaced its function but because to much speed was a problem when you ran into garbodor. This dedenne will also have the same problem shaymin had and be easy guzma/lycanroc bait. If anything it will probably help some of the stage 2 decks right now that are less consistent than rayquazza or metagross, magnezone and vikavolt(non ray). So really dont through out your cards yet and actually wait for the game to develop. Things always settle after a good cards release like seriously look at the first regionals after gur then after it was a whole lot less garb and the same has held true sense then

If you all hate playing shrine you'll love what I'm playing in this months tourney. (starts with B and ends with E)

Foolish notion to think it breaks anything. Will it help speed decks sure but will it automatically change how every deck is made definitely not. Shaymin stopped being used in most decks right around when when guardians rising came out not because lele replaced its function but because to much speed was a problem when you ran into garbodor. This dedenne will also have the same problem shaymin had and be easy guzma/lycanroc bait. If anything it will probably help some of the stage 2 decks right now that are less consistent than rayquazza or metagross, magnezone and vikavolt(non ray). So really dont through out your cards yet and actually wait for the game to develop. Things always settle after a good cards release like seriously look at the first regionals after gur then after it was a whole lot less garb and the same has held true sense then
This. The sky is not falling guys

This. The sky is not falling guys
I do agree with CrownAxe that the sky isn’t falling. My point is lies more in my personal frustration with TPCi’s apparent lack of care towards their community. They don’t really appear to ever take into account what WE want... which saddens me.

I do agree with CrownAxe that the sky isn’t falling. My point is lies more in my personal frustration with TPCi’s apparent lack of care towards their community. They don’t really appear to ever take into account what WE want... which saddens me.
The community isn't a unanimous opinion though. Not everyone likes the slower format or hated NM. It's over generalizing to say TPCi isn't listening to the community because their is definitely a part of the community that is exited at what TPCi is doing.

A new ability locking pokemon would solve everything. Alolan Muk fails doesn't suffice. I like Dedenne GX, and until we know what the actual card says it's mere speculation.

I hear what you are saying about the money grab aspect, but it is a business, and there are many competitive players who don't mind shelling out the money.

I don't find any deck broken at this point, and I can't see Dedenne doing it either. Its a balanced format with lots of variation for top tier decks!

I say stop the new tag team pokemon, they're lame!!!

Let's go line by line, @RisingRaichuu . I'm going to start with this: Your profile says you're 15, I'm going to take that at face value. I've been playing collectable games longer than you've been alive. Not a bad thing, but I have what you'd call in the field : "seen some things".

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Buzzwole players and Zoroark players, listen one and all. Today (as of when I published this...) it has leaked in Japan that a new, overpowered Shaymin-on-steroids-style card is
going to be released in February. Yes, I'm talking about you, Dedenne-GX. I'll link to this if I must, down here:
http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/10/night-unison-rumored-to-feature-gx-similar-to-shaymin-ex
Ok, so what's so bad about this card? Well, everything. Here are a few key pointers:
1. Aggro decks are broken.
Yes, I'm talking about you, Rayquaza... Also any other crazy aggro deck that comes out (and at this rate you'd think they're reprinting LTC...) With Dedenne in format, aggro decks will get so fast we'll once more see a return to the bad old days of 10-minute first turns and the like. Oh, and did I mention we don't have Garbodor or N to keep it all in check anymore?

Keep this in mind: Tapu Lele-GX has 170 HP and Dedenne GX is rumored to be 110 HP, along with Fighting-type Weakness. Who is Fighting-type thats EXTREMELY popular right now? If it is 110 HP, it's going to be the absolute SOFTEST GX ever released and will act as an easy two prizes. Yes, it can enable aggro decks, but unless they run the risk of anything with merit being able to OHKO it since the damage barometer of good cards in the meta seems to be around 120.

2. Zoroark is (even more) broken.
Apologies here to Tord Reklev or any other Zoroark player right now. I've never been a fan of Zoroark myself, but, seriously, Zoroark with Lele AND Dedenne? That consistency is just gonna be crazy.

Keep in mind that Bench space is a thing. It'll gain consistency, but provide some real nice 2-Prize targets. IF you have a bunch of Lele and Dedenne on your bench, I'm going to question what exactly you're running.

3. Big Basics is broken (again).
Am I the only person who loved this meta where you could actually play evolutions. Nah. We can't play them anymore! When Dedenne comes out, once more we will see a return to the bad old days of aggressive basic brokenness.

Evolutions have seen a lot of play this year. Even a METAGROSS-GX deck got Top-4 in Philly Regionals last month. IF anything, Dedenne gives them a bit more bite as it can remove bad opening hands and provide a bit of consistency which all Stage-2 decks need.

4. The MONEY.
In a Standard format with little other draw support, pretty much every deck is gonna have to play 3-4 of these things to survive. With each of these probably costing around $50, this is gonna make the TCG WAY too expensive.

You MUST keep this in mind: no matter what game you choose, they are always a BUSINESS FIRST. In my combined 16 years of gaming, I haven't come across a game company that is altruistic and listens to their customer-base. There are some companies that listen better than others, but there are benefits and consequences to doing so as well. EVERY GAME will have money rares. Every. Single. One. You can't, and won't, avoid it. And compared to games like Yugioh and Magic: The Gathering, even if it got to the point to where you had to run 4 Dedenne-GX and 4 Tapu Lele-GX, Pokemon decks would still be CHEAPER than competitive decks in the aforementioned two. I was in Yugioh at one point to where the top 2 decks were $1,000 and $700. And if you didn't run either of those two decks, you were losing to them. Decks have only got slightly cheaper.
Legacy Magic used to be $300-$400 decks 10 years ago, good luck getting into Legacy now.

In Pokemon, you don't NEED to have the Hyper Rare of Dedenne-GX to be competitive. You could go with lowest rarity and they do the same thing as the higher rarity ones. Other games don't have that. Usually it's "run this Short Print Secret Chase Rare or don't play the deck".

5. Expanded.
OK yeah, Expanded is broken already, but hey. Being able to play 4 Dedenne and 4 Shaymin in your deck? SERIOUSLY?

I play Expanded. I'll go even further and say you could also run 4 Jirachi-EX and ZOMG B0rKeN!

in Expanded, Shaymin-EX is played MUCH MUCH less than Tapu Lele-GX. I'm not even close to worried about Expanded being infested with little electric mice. They'll be played as a 1 or 2 of in most decks that would want to use them (exce3pt maybe Night March who'd maybe want to use 3. But at least Shaymin-EX can use Sky Return, so who knows. Better minds than mine would know better how Night March would, or could, incorporate it).

Trust me, Expanded will be fine.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is only one way for us to save the Pokemon TCG from domination by OP cards. We must fight this and campaign to save the Pokemon TCG! Please like this post to show that you care and that, no matter what, the brokenness will never win! :)
#SaveTheGame :)

The game doesn't need to be saved. IT's actually doing really good right now. Want to look at a sad story? Look at how Magic: The Gathering is doing recently. IT'll give you some perspective on things.

Back