The BW Era: Better or Worse Than Others?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Now, i love a lot of the new stuff, but the BW era(especially NXD up to BCR) just felt...better to me for some reason. the older sets felt like they had a bit more wonder to them, and EXs felt so much more cool. Maybe it was the art, Shizurow's especially. Now, seeing stuff like tyranitar EX, lugia, and machamp, it just feels a bit more...tacked on. Im always excited for a new set, but i'd just rather get older stuff first. That might just be me, i might be blinded by nostalgia, but im wondering what you guys think.

I think the quality of the full arts now is wayyyy better than in NXD and BCR. Ecspecially NXD because thats when they first started the texture and it sucked lol i honestly love the new art. I feel like they are trying different things. Plus , the pull rates for xy sets destroys black and white lol i hate black and white booster boxs because the rates were horrible. Now , i do love the black and white era but i like the art and just overall direction of pokemon xy as opposed to black and white. If i had to be nostalgic about any era , it would be the e series sets because the art was just brilliant and spot on!!

Now, i love a lot of the new stuff, but the BW era(especially NXD up to BCR) just felt...better to me for some reason. the older sets felt like they had a bit more wonder to them, and EXs felt so much more cool. Maybe it was the art, Shizurow's especially. Now, seeing stuff like tyranitar EX, lugia, and machamp, it just feels a bit more...tacked on. Im always excited for a new set, but i'd just rather get older stuff first. That might just be me, i might be blinded by nostalgia, but im wondering what you guys think.

How long have you been playing and how long have you had access to more information via the online community, and at the same level you currently do?

Maybe things were better for you back then and believe me I am one that will readily give a critical analysis of the game. The current issues plaguing the game can be traced back to the beginning, but if I had to pick I believe things were just a bit better pre-Diamond & Pearl, in part because even if the same mistakes were being made there is a difference between doing something wrong and doing it wrong more than once. Of course I have to temper my nostalgia because it can be blind to things like how I knew less than I thought I did back then (and hopefully less than I know now) and of course, I am trying to be a bit more accurate by recognizing how much I still don't know. That being said, I didn't have the online resources to challenge or help me like I do now... and as a whole that just means it is easier to find a good skeleton or deck list to use as the basis of your own instead of trying to re-invent the wheel (that is the basic foundation of an established deck).

Throw in that the period which was my favorite was also when my friends and I were living in the same state (sometimes the same general two to three towns) and my health problems were less. It is entirely possible these outside factors made the game seem "better" than it actually was... but in the end I still come back to (what I believe are) mistakes in the games management, development and direction being made back then for at worst the second or third time now being made yet again in the present.

The BW era was atrocious lol. The first three sets focusing solely on Unova Pokemon was cute for the time but they kept reusing Unova Pokemon over and over and over again after that. The pull rates for the ten trillion different tiers of chase cards after Next Destinies made collecting a chore, and the entire Team Plasma block was ugly and full of horrible CGI and hideous blue borders. If anything I have nostalgia for the early DP era because they knew how to fit every Pokemon into a small handful of sets instead of repeating the same Pokemon 15 times while ignoring others for close to 10 years.

My favorite era is DP-AR... The card templates, the set's planning, etc... I think it was all much well thought than BW and specially now in XY, where we see legendary trios or other pokémon counterparts separated, random pokemon as EXs, and the number of ultra rares just keeps increasing (I actually don't collect anymore precisely because I don't have funds to keep buying cards but I know if I did, it would be much harder to collect an entire set now than back then)...

I love this era.
The cards are an adaptation of XY, which is the best Pokémon game by a country mile. The attacks and abilities are for the most part dynamic and different, and there is room for all sorts of different strategies like bench bomb-ing and colorful wind-ing and sneaky bite-ing and false swipe laser-ing (please exclude EXs for the purpose of this comment). The trainers do interesting things and are fairly balanced bar abuse, but that doesn't really come up where I play and with whom. The game is fast and strategic without being bogged down by interaction and resource management and secondary card market prices, and the existing variants to the gameplay are interesting with room to explore (exclude EXs for the purpose of this comment too). Some of the best art the game has ever seen is being produced as well (and again).
Basically I am not okay with the non-legendary EX prevalence now. That is the only thing about the game I currently have a problem with, and I'm sure that if those didn't exist it would be something else.

Throw in that the period which was my favorite was also when my friends and I were living in the same state (sometimes the same general two to three towns) and my health problems were less. It is entirely possible these outside factors made the game seem "better" than it actually was...
This is deeply moving.

I'd have to disagree. BW's TCG era was the worst thing to ever happen to the TCG.

The BW Era started off very nice with a lot of balance. Sure there was a few staple cards that made the game so "Bleh" but there was enough cards and variety to build decks with and I loved it. Heck, it was just rolling out of Gen 4 and sadly, since most of my cards came from League support - I was forced to buy BW packs because let's face it - BW's League Support was crap. I bought so many BW packs and products I literally have all 3 variations of the Full-Art Zekrom ((Misprint, Reverse Misprint (It looks more watered down in the background than the normal one) and the normal Full-Art Zekrom)) I was so invested in the BW era and I absolutely loved every second of it. I liked the cards no matter what I got half the time. I even built plenty of decks. The start of it was amazing and beautiful.

Then Next Destinies hit and it all went downhill. Introducing the biggest Power Creep in the game - Mewtwo EX. It was the most broken card in the game at the time and remained that way for a long while. Within that time all I did was quit and collect. If I ever played, it was with a ZekEels deck because I love me some Zekrom.
But even then, after all that - I only got back into it because I saw potential in Plasma Eeveelutions because I loved Eeveelutions so much (which I was right to put my faith in because I often top with it ). Their useful little Alien Battery Deoxys EX provided some much needed balance and fighting chance for me.

But even though it brought perhaps one of my favorite decks into the game - I think BW's TCG Era damaged the game severely. I'm glad to see the potential in the next set attempting to undo the damage.

But even though it brought perhaps one of my favorite decks into the game - I think BW's TCG Era damaged the game severely. I'm glad to see the potential in the next set attempting to undo the damage.
This. BW more or less ruined XY in terms of power creep. How many competitive decks in the format STILL revolve around cards from BCR-LTR? I'll be happy once the rotation hits so that game has a bit of breathing room.

Well, the BW era did have it's issues, Mewtwo especially. I find it as a lot of nostalgia-based, but i got back into the game after BW came out, after leaving around DP(I don't know why now, I love DP.) BW just kinda felt really cool to me. I do find the XY era's additions really neat, with random Pokes as EXs, giving it a point where maybe one of my favorites could get the EX treatment. I find BCR as my favorite set, and I don't know why, but a lot of the fact that it was some of the first packs I opened in the newer era, and there was a sense of..."wonder", I guess? I don't know, I do accept that it did hurt the game a lot, but it did add some interesting things. I do wish it gave stage 2's a more balanced part in the game, and I hope that EXs can either be more limited, or more and more cards can be in a balance.

How long have you been playing and how long have you had access to more information via the online community, and at the same level you currently do?

Maybe things were better for you back then and believe me I am one that will readily give a critical analysis of the game. The current issues plaguing the game can be traced back to the beginning, but if I had to pick I believe things were just a bit better pre-Diamond & Pearl, in part because even if the same mistakes were being made there is a difference between doing something wrong and doing it wrong more than once. Of course I have to temper my nostalgia because it can be blind to things like how I knew less than I thought I did back then (and hopefully less than I know now) and of course, I am trying to be a bit more accurate by recognizing how much I still don't know. That being said, I didn't have the online resources to challenge or help me like I do now... and as a whole that just means it is easier to find a good skeleton or deck list to use as the basis of your own instead of trying to re-invent the wheel (that is the basic foundation of an established deck).

Throw in that the period which was my favorite was also when my friends and I were living in the same state (sometimes the same general two to three towns) and my health problems were less. It is entirely possible these outside factors made the game seem "better" than it actually was... but in the end I still come back to (what I believe are) mistakes in the games management, development and direction being made back then for at worst the second or third time now being made yet again in the present.

1-First of all, that last part was moving.

2-I started (or i should say restarted) when NXD came out. I didn't use the internet much then, but since around late 2012 I've been more active, and it's only gone up since.

3-I definitely see the issues in the game, I did not as much then, but I still found a few issues with say, Mewtwo, but nonetheless, I just saw the more wonderous side of opening a pack. I more meant the BW era is my favorite aesthetically, as I myself am more of a collector, but I actively play the game and can see a card's ability sometimes. I'm not too good at deciphering the true use, so I usually look to see what others say. The actual game wasn't what made me nostalgic to it now, the collecting, trading, looking at the artwork, opening packs, etc. did. I didn't have many friends outside of the internet, and the TCG helped. Maybe what you said about the outside factors apply here as well. It gave me a few people to talk to, and It definitely helped get me through some of the worst school years of my life. maybe just that is why I consider the BW era to be a better time.

I think the quality of the full arts now is wayyyy better than in NXD and BCR. Ecspecially NXD because thats when they first started the texture and it sucked lol i honestly love the new art. I feel like they are trying different things. Plus , the pull rates for xy sets destroys black and white lol i hate black and white booster boxs because the rates were horrible. Now , i do love the black and white era but i like the art and just overall direction of pokemon xy as opposed to black and white. If i had to be nostalgic about any era , it would be the e series sets because the art was just brilliant and spot on!!

I thought the texture was definitely underwhelming in NXD, but after, I find all the full arts cooler. I do enjoy a lot of the FAs in NXD though, Regigigas-EX is one of my favorite cards, both the EX and the FA. I do think PF's boxes were out of control, but when I got my first booster box, a BCR one, It actually had some pretty good rates. Most of my boxes were alright, apart from a few of them, but I more found the rates more uncontrollable. When I look at some of the old sets, I found the e series to be quite cool though, along with DP's era, with LVL X's kinda cool to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I can say for BW, aside from bringing in new Pokemon, is at least it didn't give us our first banned card since wizards era neo genesis.

Of course some might say Mewtoe EX should have been banned.

Which card might that be? If its Trump Card, that's technically XY era, but I might be wrong if that's the first since, secret wonders Wormadam, I believe which was banned.

"This card was banned from use at the 2008 North American Professor Cup, thus making it the first specific card to be banned from any official event since Slowkin from Neo Genesis was removed from the Modified Format at the end of 2002. The card was dominant at the 2008 European Professor Cup (even despite the above errata), due in part to being printed in POP Series 7 as an , a legal rarity for use in the Professor Cup (any rarity is banned from use in that event)." -Bulbapedia.

Huh, I guess it was.

3-I definitely see the issues in the game, I did not as much then, but I still found a few issues with say, Mewtwo...
Of course some might say Mewtoe EX should have been banned.

See, this is why I try to delve deeper. Want to know why Mewtwo-EX seemed so powerful? After all while it still has its uses, it certainly isn't where it started.

Mewtwo-EX owes its success to other cards and design principles. The short version is that
  1. Mewtwo-EX was released alongside many lackluster Pokémon-EX; the very next set released competition for it and its usage began to decrease. Several sets later it was no longer the one-card-to-rule-them-all.
  2. Consider the game rules of the time as well as the card pool. Mewtwo-EX is a lot less scary when you can't attack with it first turn. When you have to burn a Supporter or flip a coin to force an Evolving Basic up front for a quick KO, be it a donk or just making it really difficult to use more complex combos. Imagine if Mewtwo-EX didn't have Double Colorless Energy so that it was crazy hard to get it to attack with a single turn's effort early game and still required significant resources after that (when you might have something like Eelektrik or Blastoise to help).

See, this is why I try to delve deeper. Want to know why Mewtwo-EX seemed so powerful? After all while it still has its uses, it certainly isn't where it started.

Mewtwo-EX owes its success to other cards and design principles. The short version is that
  1. Mewtwo-EX was released alongside many lackluster Pokémon-EX; the very next set released competition for it and its usage began to decrease. Several sets later it was no longer the one-card-to-rule-them-all.
  2. Consider the game rules of the time as well as the card pool. Mewtwo-EX is a lot less scary when you can't attack with it first turn. When you have to burn a Supporter or flip a coin to force an Evolving Basic up front for a quick KO, be it a donk or just making it really difficult to use more complex combos. Imagine if Mewtwo-EX didn't have Double Colorless Energy so that it was crazy hard to get it to attack with a single turn's effort early game and still required significant resources after that (when you might have something like Eelektrik or Blastoise to help).

Yes, Mewtwo isn't what it used to be. Like you said, More cards are filtering it out, even now. I more saw it's issues then, but now it isn't as problematic. Lugia will suffer the same fate. It'll be splashable(at least I think it should), but won't be a huge monster.

Let me clarify that banning Mewtwo EX was a general opinion from what I've read. I do not believe it should have been banned. I do not believe that LTC should have been banned. In my experience with ccg's/tcg's there is no reason to ban a card when a text errata or restriction would do the trick just as easily. Especially in today's world where almost everyone has a phone with wi-fi to access the current rulings and errata on cards.

I myself think the Base-Neo is the best series. That was when not only were you able to run a stage 2 deck effectively and without major repercussions but it was actually encouraged (bar a few different decks like Haymaker's). Where my water deck could go with a turn 2 or turn 3 Blastoise, combined with Oak and Bill, to effectively dominate my games instead of EX's, most of whom are not really basics but are treated as such, to say nothing about the power curve on EX's ie; higher damage for small or medium amounts of energy comparable to regular basics and stage 1 and HP that is almost double that of even stage 2 Pokémon.

Honestly in some ways I think EX's were the worst thing to happen to Pokémon from a play stance though I know I'm in the minority on this point.

Let me clarify that banning Mewtwo EX was a general opinion from what I've read. I do not believe it should have been banned.

Understood. I was just explaining how the card, even when it was horribly overpowered, owed it to some other problem cards in the format... not unlike the situation with Seismitoad-EX and Lysandre's Trump Card though there are some key differences there.

The next bits are going to risk sounding argumentative... well I am putting forth an argument but not because I think it would be fun or anything, but because I can't tell what you are presenting as "fact" and what you are presenting as "opinion", including a few bits that seem to be stated as facts but clearly contradict what I myself know. Not that I couldn't be wrong.

I do not believe that LTC should have been banned. In my experience with ccg's/tcg's there is no reason to ban a card when a text errata or restriction would do the trick just as easily. Especially in today's world where almost everyone has a phone with wi-fi to access the current rulings and errata on cards.

You are free to disagree with banning Lysandre's Trump Card, but I disagree with the notion that banning is never an option; perhaps a few games use it too readily but the ones I have played instead use it too sparingly or just right. Mistakes happen and when they do, it is important to preserve game balance over keeping something problematic legal to play.

In this particular case I have yet to hear how an erratum (usually reserved for when the error is in printing, not game balance) could legitimately address all the issues resolved by it being banned and still be as simple to communicate and understand as a ban, let alone how restriction would help when most decks (including the ones making the best use of it) only ran a single copy if Lysandre's Trump Card. I suppose both an erratum that included a built in restriction would deal with most of the issues, but it wouldn't deal with them all and would ultimately be more complicated than simply banning the card... especially as there appear to be no plans to reprint Lysandre's Trump Card (something that helps an erratum to "stick").

I myself think the Base-Neo is the best series. That was when not only were you able to run a stage 2 deck effectively and without major repercussions but it was actually encouraged (bar a few different decks like Haymaker's). Where my water deck could go with a turn 2 or turn 3 Blastoise, combined with Oak and Bill, to effectively dominate my games instead of EX's, most of whom are not really basics but are treated as such, to say nothing about the power curve on EX's ie; higher damage for small or medium amounts of energy comparable to regular basics and stage 1 and HP that is almost double that of even stage 2 Pokémon.

While I was not a part of the competitive scene during this time, I was already late in my High School career (and in fact started college during the time before "Modified" was instituted and while Neo Genesis was still the latest expansion). I'm a little fuzzy during Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge being new because - as this was when I went online only at school to kill time after class or for school projects - I believed one of the other players (who at least appeared knowledgeable) that due to the layout change seen in those sets, they would be a "separate" game from what came before. Yes, I was an idiot and sadly it wasn't the last time I was that foolish... but I have enough first hand knowledge on top of later research to know the basics of the metagame.

It is very important to remember that our recollections of any past format remember the state of the Pokémon community at the time. For example, before the general Pokémon fad crashed (not quite sure when but I think it was around the release of the Neo Genesis) you had a card shortage. I do not have the exact start/stop dates handy and even if I did it varied quite a bit according to region (especially internationally). This meant a lot of cards that weren't technically competitive performed as if they were simply because people ran what they had and they didn't have much. Combine this with the information shortage of the time and we saw some truly bizarre results that later testing verified were annihilated by a few key decks.

During the Base Set through Neo series of sets that Stage 2 Pokémon were at best a little more playable than the best are now, with a few used through exploits in the system or simply were amazingly powerful or both. Now there were plenty of Basic and Stage 1 Pokémon that were also just not worth using, but as a guesstimate favoring easy numbers I would say that 10% of the available card pool made up the competitive metagame, with about 5% of that being non-Evolving Basic Pokémon, 3% of that being fully Evolved Stage 1 Pokémon and 2% being Stage 2 Pokémon. Raindance decks was indeed one of the top decks, but it was the exception, not the rule and the fact that it centered around Base Set Blastoise should be quite telling. As you included the Neo sets, in Unlimited play your Blastoise deck should have struggled against "Mind Games" decks, which had Neo Genesis Sneasel backed by Neo Genesis Slowking... the first and second cards ever banned from Modified, for the record.

Over in Modified, where Base Set Blastoise was illegal, Stage 2 cards were quite viable. The cost for this was a much slower format, especially prior to Neo Genesis Slowking being banned. It was also horribly flippy; yes on par with on how Seismitoad-EX has been played until (possibly) the recent Lysandre's Trump Card banning forced it to change. Almost all decks would rely on "Baby" Pokémon, a kind of "sub-Stage" of Basic that had special rules text on it, including "the Baby Rule" that forced anything attacking a Baby Pokémon to flip a coin; if "tails" that players' turn ended without an attack. They only had 30 HP, but they were so hard to hit and even if you did, this was the format with Focus Band, a Pokémon Tool that triggered if the equipped Pokémon would be KOed via damage. You'd then flip a coin and if "heads" your Pokémon was not KOed but instead would have 10 HP remaining (and Focus Band would discard itself). Before it was banned you would have Neo Genesis Sneasel and Slowking with all their coin flips as well.

As for double HP maybe on one or two but its usually a 50% bump (sometimes less). Also most of the issue seems to be with "pacing" and not "raw power". Here there are more (and blatant exceptions), but the general thing is that especially after factoring in available Energy acceleration you end up with big, Basic attackers that function as the main attacker for a deck sometimes on a players' very first turn. That's a problem. If more of them had no low Energy attacks or the attacks weren't so good, it would slow the pace of the game down allowing time for Evolutions to hit the field before Pokémon-EX are racking up the KOs. Well, except that too many non-Pokémon-EX are similarly overpowered and too quickly paced.

Honestly in some ways I think EX's were the worst thing to happen to Pokémon from a play stance though I know I'm in the minority on this point.

I understand why you might feel that way, but don't mistake the symptoms for the disease. Pokémon-EX aren't a problem because of the Pokémon-EX mechanic but specifically because so many of them ended up being overpowered... and overpowered cards are a separate issue. That was why I went into a bit of detail on Mewtwo-EX. I actually do like the Pokémon-EX mechanic, but wish it could have remained how it originally appeared until BW: Legendary Treasures. Then it seemed restricted to the equivalents of video game Legendary Pokémon and the cost of an extra Prize, inability to access certain pieces of support and existance of certain counter cards helped balance out those Pokémon being strong like they are in the source material.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Your favorite time in the game is your favorite time in the game. If you don't like a mechanic, you don't like a mechanic. I only wished to help you sort out some facts that weren't facts but were being presented to support your view. Kind of like how I used to hate how Beast Wars used so many cheesy one-liners but when I re-watched G1 I realized that was pretty typical of Transformers in general and I was just looking for excuses. That let me identify the real reason I didn't care for Beast Wars (setting it on pre-historic Earth).

Which card might that be? If its Trump Card, that's technically XY era, but I might be wrong if that's the first since, secret wonders Wormadam, I believe which was banned.

"This card was banned from use at the 2008 North American Professor Cup, thus making it the first specific card to be banned from any official event since Slowkin from Neo Genesis was removed from the Modified Format at the end of 2002. The card was dominant at the 2008 European Professor Cup (even despite the above errata), due in part to being printed in POP Series 7 as an , a legal rarity for use in the Professor Cup (any rarity is banned from use in that event)." -Bulbapedia.

Huh, I guess it was.

The North American Professor Cup is a single tournament that uses special rules. It really shouldn't count. If it does, then you have to count all the rarity cards also banned that one year for that one event.

In truth any sentence that has "I think" in it at the start should generally be viewed as an opinion, which is basically what the whole point of this thread was about. Also when you're talking about games and other things even a fact can be a matter of perspective and individual experiences.

I think the thing with LTC isn't so much the ban. I don't really care one way or another there. I just personally prefer games where the victory doesn't go to whoever has the speediest deck. I prefer games where you have the time to make strategies and to implement them. The problem of course is that the only game I've ever played to do that ended years ago and that for competitive play reasons long games just aren't viable. My original Raindance deck was proof of that back then (I too was in my last year of high school when this was going on, I had gotten into play just before Team Rocket was released).

Banning is admittedly a touchy issue in every game. Sometimes it's unavoidable. This is where we should agree that they need to playtest their cards more...or at all if they don't bother to do so, not too clear on that one.

I did probably estimate the HP boost on EX's. That wasn't so much the point as the point of how much the format changed. I never had problems with Sneasel (easy KO for me) and never had problems with Slowking though that might have just been general luck, in fact both of them might have been luck for me I suppose.

Let me clarify the EX thing here. At the core the problem isn't with Pokémon EX in general. The problem is with how they redesigned Pokémon EX when they were brought back in Next Destinies. I actually think the Pokémon EX during the R/S/E era were fine. At least they made sure that those who weren't supposed to be basics were, you know, not basics.

The North American Professor Cup is a single tournament that uses special rules. It really shouldn't count. If it does, then you have to count all the rarity cards also banned that one year for that one event.

Ah, I see. I'm not too familiar with the North American Professor Cup.

In truth any sentence that has "I think" in it at the start should generally be viewed as an opinion, which is basically what the whole point of this thread was about. Also when you're talking about games and other things even a fact can be a matter of perspective and individual experiences.

I think the thing with LTC isn't so much the ban. I don't really care one way or another there. I just personally prefer games where the victory doesn't go to whoever has the speediest deck. I prefer games where you have the time to make strategies and to implement them. The problem of course is that the only game I've ever played to do that ended years ago and that for competitive play reasons long games just aren't viable. My original Raindance deck was proof of that back then (I too was in my last year of high school when this was going on, I had gotten into play just before Team Rocket was released).

Banning is admittedly a touchy issue in every game. Sometimes it's unavoidable. This is where we should agree that they need to playtest their cards more...or at all if they don't bother to do so, not too clear on that one.

I did probably estimate the HP boost on EX's. That wasn't so much the point as the point of how much the format changed. I never had problems with Sneasel (easy KO for me) and never had problems with Slowking though that might have just been general luck, in fact both of them might have been luck for me I suppose.

Let me clarify the EX thing here. At the core the problem isn't with Pokémon EX in general. The problem is with how they redesigned Pokémon EX when they were brought back in Next Destinies. I actually think the Pokémon EX during the R/S/E era were fine. At least they made sure that those who weren't supposed to be basics were, you know, not basics.

The redesigning of EXs was quite an issue, at least it should've given other cards more of a chance. If they did, the format wouldn't be better, more as it would be more diverse, I guess. Of course, I'm only partially competitive in the TCG, so I don't really know better, but at least I feel as if the format would be a bit more diverse, In a good way.

I liked the Plasma part of BW - mostly because I really like consistent sorts of theme cards to build decks around (I had many, non-competitive Plasma-only decks - that includes Trainers...but not pre-evolutions obviously). The theme thing is also a reason I like the current Ancient Trait Pokemon (let's be honest, very few are actually competitively viable - but I just play for fun). Of course, B&W is when I started playing again - SINCE BASE SET 2 (!), so I guess I don't have a fully informed opinion...but it was nice to see higher HP and higher damage output (but I guess that preceded BW). Now I am thinking back to my days with Nidoking's Toxic...

Back