Discussion The Best XY-On Set?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Oh my gosh I MUST agree. Behind Flashfire this is my least favorite set. The art was only barely better because art wise Sylveon, Hawlucha, and Lucario EX full art were great but the rest was garbage. Yes toad is just another overused nuisance like the whole night March crud. No competitively great cards (besides that damn toad) came out of the set. The EXs were bland and bored me not to buy anything more after the Elite Trainer Box as well (lol). In my opinion the first four sets of XY were probably my least favorite. When Roaring Skies hit I really starting to love the XY era because it wasn't trash anymore. Anyways yeah Furious Fists was a dissapointment.

New List (I like lists)
Favorite sets [Best to worst]:
-Fates Collide (XY10)
-Ancient Origins (XY7)
-Roaring Skies (XY6)
-BREAKPoint (XY9)
-Primal Clash (XY5)
-BREAKThrough (XY8)
-Phantom Forces (XY4)
-XY Base Set (XY1)
-Furious Fists (XY3
-Flashfire (XY2)

Yes these are my opinions. Disagree if you want but don't disrespect.

Regarding Flashfire, I see it too much as the obligatory fanservice set. All that sticks out is Charizard, because it's so damn expensive(Sr Megazard X being the most valuable XY-On card, only followed by Shaymin and...every other Megazard.) Nothing else sticks out to me. I do appreciate Magnezone and Toxicroak getting the EX treatment, but those are awful cards even then! And don't get me started on competitive cards. Let's see..

-Combustion Blast Charizard
-Startling Megaphone
-Lysandre(which got reprinted anyways)
-Pokemon Fan club.
-Miltank

That's a whopping five cards. Not even a tenth of the set is good, and Charizard is more just "okay" now. All the other good cards(M-kangaskhan and Pyroar) are pointless now, since M-Kangaskhan is too slow, and Megas are huge in the metagame right now.

Flashfire, IMO was pointless. You could have just put Charizard in base XY, and we wouldn't have had to waste six months until a set that was just slightly better.

My list for XY sets(best to worst)

1-Roaring Skies(M Ray is my favorite deck to play, Shaymin is amazing, not to mention a throwback to the DP era, and the art is great too. This set brought that wonder I haven't seen since Boundaries Crossed, AKA my favorite BW set.)

2-Fates Collide(I'll admit, I'm a sucker for Mega Alakazam, and Zygarde. It's like a love letter to me. Not to mention, the art is fantastic.)

3-Ancient Origins(Amazing art, and it gave so many great cards to bring life into the metagame. First set since the DP era to have a ton of strategic cards, IMO)

4-BREAKthrough(I don't know why I like this set. The art is great, the parallel worlds thing is actually kind of cool, and the first Empoleon card in two years. Not to mention a lot of holo rares were better than the EXs, plus great trainers which made opening every pack worth it, BREAKs i happen to adore, as it's like Level X's all over again, and if you haven't figured it out already, I like throwbacks to the DP era.)

5-Primal Clash(First XY set with consistently good art, plus Ancient Traits, which were amazing to look at, and made the game more interesting. I happen to adore Primal Kyogre-EX, for being an amazing card in it's own right. It just needs more support.)

6-Phantom Forces(The end of the dark ages, it brought a lot of great competitive cards, including the foundation for the Metal Rayquaza deck. Only thing bringing it to number 6 is the Enhanced Hammer reprint and Night March.)

7-BREAKPoint(Yeah, this set, although the art is okay, it just bores me. Water support is nice though.)

8-XY base(It's boring, and there's too much 5ban art. Maybe it's my bias against Gen 6, but I'd take DP/BW base any day over XY.)

9-Tie between Flashfire and Furious Fists(Refer to my previous rambling)

Last edited:

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Best imo was Phantom forces. It gave us a few new archetypes, and some really solid cards that are staples in the format

Mudkipfan12

Mudbray!
Hmm...I am absolutely terrible at competitive, so this may not be what every one else thinks, but I really like Steam Seige, Roaring skies, and Breakpoint. mostly for the artwork on the cards, and the pokemon itself.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Regarding Flashfire, I see it too much as the obligatory fanservice set. All that sticks out is Charizard, because it's so damn expensive(Sr Megazard X being the most valuable XY-On card, only followed by Shaymin and...every other Megazard.) Nothing else sticks out to me. I do appreciate Magnezone and Toxicroak getting the EX treatment, but those are awful cards even then! And don't get me started on competitive cards. Let's see..

-Combustion Blast Charizard
-Startling Megaphone
-Lysandre(which got reprinted anyways)
-Pokemon Fan club.
-Miltank

That's a whopping five cards. Not even a tenth of the set is good, and Charizard is more just "okay" now. All the other good cards(M-kangaskhan and Pyroar) are pointless now, since M-Kangaskhan is too slow, and Megas are huge in the metagame right now.

Flashfire, IMO was pointless. You could have just put Charizard in base XY, and we wouldn't have had to waste six months until a set that was just slightly better.

My list for XY sets(best to worst)

1-Roaring Skies(M Ray is my favorite deck to play, Shaymin is amazing, not to mention a throwback to the DP era, and the art is great too. This set brought that wonder I haven't seen since Boundaries Crossed, AKA my favorite BW set.)

2-Fates Collide(I'll admit, I'm a sucker for Mega Alakazam, and Zygarde. It's like a love letter to me. Not to mention, the art is fantastic.)

3-Ancient Origins(Amazing art, and it gave so many great cards to bring life into the metagame. First set since the DP era to have a ton of strategic cards, IMO)

4-BREAKthrough(I don't know why I like this set. The art is great, the parallel worlds thing is actually kind of cool, and the first Empoleon card in two years. Not to mention a lot of holo rares were better than the EXs, plus great trainers which made opening every pack worth it, BREAKs i happen to adore, as it's like Level X's all over again, and if you haven't figured it out already, I like throwbacks to the DP era.)

5-Primal Clash(First XY set with consistently good art, plus Ancient Traits, which were amazing to look at, and made the game more interesting. I happen to adore Primal Kyogre-EX, for being an amazing card in it's own right. It just needs more support.)

6-Phantom Forces(The end of the dark ages, it brought a lot of great competitive cards, including the foundation for the Metal Rayquaza deck. Only thing bringing it to number 6 is the Enhanced Hammer reprint and Night March.)

7-BREAKPoint(Yeah, this set, although the art is okay, it just bores me. Water support is nice though.)

8-XY base(It's boring, and there's too much 5ban art. Maybe it's my bias against Gen 6, but I'd take DP/BW base any day over XY.)

9-Tie between Flashfire and Furious Fists(Refer to my previous rambling)

I feel like between the time posting this and the release of Steam Siege, my opinions of the sets have changed somewhat.

I would probably have to list the sets like this now(from best to worst)

-Roaring Skies
-Ancient Origins
-BREAKthrough
-Tie between BREAKpoint and Primal Clash
-Phantom Forces
-Fates Collide
-XY Base
-Furious Fists
-Flashfire

Basically why Fates Collide went so low is that I became absolutely bored of the set. Yes, it's a decent set on its own, but it was, in my opinion the lowest point of the BREAK era. Apart from Glaceon, maybe mee and maybe Zygarde/Regirock/Carbink, nothing really changed in the game from this set. The art was only decent. After a while, the good first impressions faded. I also put Furious Fists above Flashfire since it did add the fighting support, which brough Landorus/Lucario into one of the meanest decks in the format. Where am I going to place Steam Siege? Probably around Phantom Forces, but I'm reserving judgement for a while longer.

NebbyIsCool

SolgaleoAndLunalaDEcks
Collectibility:
1. Flashfire
2. Ancient Origins
3. Primal Clash
4. Breakthrough
5. Phantom Forces
6. Breakpoint
7. Furious Fists
8. XY
9. Roaring Skies

Playability:
1. Phantom Forces
2. Roaring Skies
3. Breakthrough
4. XY
5. Breakpoint
6. Primal Clash
7. Furious Fists
8. Ancient Origins
9. Flashfire

This is just my opinion
XY didnt really have lots of playable cards expect for Yveltal. Breakpoint has more competitave value.

Here is my opinion
1.Phantom Forces
2.Roaring Skies
3.Breakthrough
4.Breakpoint
5.Steam Siege
6.Ancient Origins
7.Primal Clash
8.XY
9.Furious Fists
10.Flashfire
11.Evolutions
12.Fates Collide

Last edited by a moderator:

Digital Dragon

Thinks Chandelure is the cutest Pokémon
I really like BREAKpoint. Mega Gyarados is cool, despite it not being that playable. However, the set also has some very playable cards. Darkrai, Greninja, Trevenant, Garbodor, Scizor, Manaphy, Max Elixer, Fighting Fury Belt, Bursting Balloon, Splash Energy, Delinquent, and Sycamore being the main ones. Furthermore, the set has some other cards that I really like, such as Zebstrika and Raticate BREAK.

Roaring Skies was also a good set. Obviously there's Shaymin, but Mega Ray and the VS Seeker reprint were in it too. Not to mention trainers like Trainers Mail.

The worst set in my opinion was Evolutions. It added almost nothing good. One of the only cards worth mentioning is Dragonite Ex, for its use in decks like Mega Gardevoir.