Help the best trainer card?

eishiba_lancorde

Aspiring Trainer
What are the best trainer cards for searching your deck to get the right cards you need? I actually have been playing the old pokemon trading card game for game boy and even a sequel from japan translated for english I would use pokemon traders. Pokeballs are a 50/50 chance and I HATE relying on coin tosses. Ultra balls are pretty much computer searches from the first generation of cards but I don't like discarding cards that I may need later. Pokemon traders were great. I'd have 4 all the time. You just put a card back in your deck, not discard it. Along with lots of bills for getting more cards. So what cards are good for getting the Pokemon cards you need? I don't see any trader cards in the new game online.

Well in the current format discarding cards is not a bad thing, as there are many decks that can work from the discard pile almost as easily as from the deck. Ultra ball is the best all around Pokémon search card, but Nest and Dive ball are free search for specific ones. (Basic and water respectively) Teammates is a supporter that allows you to search for any two cards, but requires one of your Pokémon to have been knocked out on your opponents prior turn. Can't think of any other specific search trainer cards, but Talonflame STS has an attack that for 1 energy does 40 and lets you search for any two cards.

There are plenty of ways to draw through your deck even if not specific search, and cards built to send things back and forth.

Well in the current format discarding cards is not a bad thing, as there are many decks that can work from the discard pile almost as easily as from the deck. Ultra ball is the best all around Pokémon search card, but Nest and Dive ball are free search for specific ones. (Basic and water respectively) Teammates is a supporter that allows you to search for any two cards, but requires one of your Pokémon to have been knocked out on your opponents prior turn. Can't think of any other specific search trainer cards, but Talonflame STS has an attack that for 1 energy does 40 and lets you search for any two cards.

There are plenty of ways to draw through your deck even if not specific search, and cards built to send things back and forth.

I hate discarding cards but I will give it a try. What would be best for a fighting type deck using fighting style pokemon?

discard is pretty easy to access for everything except items in standard so you absolutely should not fear discarding things, in fact it's often good to discard things like supporters early in the game so you can access them later without searching the deck. Just make sure your deck is equipped to recover cards that it needs from discard.

vs seeker recovers 1 supporter into your hand
super rod shuffles a mix of 3 basic energy and pokemon back into your deck
special charge shuffles 2 special energy back into your deck
Brock's grit does the same, but it's a supporter (so you can vs seeker for it) and shuffles 6 instead of 3
revitalizer puts 2 grass type pokemon from discard into your hand
buddy buddy rescue puts one pokemon from your discard into your hand (and your opponent does the same)
Karen shuffles all pokemon in discard for both players back into their decks
Herdier SM allows you to recover 1 item from discard when evolved

Treating the discard like the cards there leave the game forever is a classic new player mistake. In fact there's a popular item card in expanded that does nothing but discard 3 cards of your choice from your own deck. It's easier to search your discard than it is to search your deck in most cases.

There isn't much for specific searches but basically you just draw into your deck until you get what you need. For fighting decks there used to be Korrina which lets you find a fighting type and a fighting energy in your deck, but she's expanded only now.

Back