The 50-Minute Best of Three Format

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
Before I begin, I am not a representative of The Pokemon Company, nor am I making a petition to ask for the format to be changed. This is merely a discussion.

As you should all be aware, last year Pokemon changed the rules regarding Swiss rounds in tournaments, excluding League Challegnes to be best of three as opposed to single game, thirty minutes. This has become a topic of debate among both players and tournament staff, as the reactions to this are somewhat mixed. While the rule change last year regarding going first and Pokemon Catcher's errata were generally accepted, the 50 minute tournament structure has mixed opinions.

Below is what I believe to be the pros and cons of this format.

Pros:
- A player who is donked in one game does not necessarily lose the match. This reduces the luck factor somewhat.
- It is less likely to win against an unfavorable matchup that, in theory should beat your deck (say Pyroar vs TDK), but due to dead draws the unfavorable deck won. This also bumps up the skill factor and forces players to study the metagame and plan accordingly.
- Players have additional chances to read their opponent's strategies and adapt. While Pokemon does not allow sideboards like other games, a player can still come up with creative responses to an opponent's play style.

Cons:
- Ties occor far more often due to unfinised games. As Pokemon does not have official tie-breakers in Swiss rounds, this can potentially ruin both players' chances of making top cut, rather than allowing one to move on. As such, it encourages players to use randomizers to determine the game outcome, which is against the rules. i have seen players do this and get disqualified.
- Slow play is encouraged if time is running out and the player who would otherwise lose can force a tie. The three additional turns after time is called does help with this, but doesn't eliminate the problem completely.
- Playing decks that require a lot of setup (such as Flygon or Empoleon) becomes harder. While a veteran player may be able to play these slower decks under pressure, someone will less experience may have trouble winning two games in fifty minutes. This reduces the number of viable deck types seen at large tournaments.

As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantges to both formats, and there isn't a clear answer on what the "best" one is, or even which adheres to the Spirit of the Game more. Personally, I think 50 minutes isn't enough time to play three games and expect a victor almost all the time, but obviously niether the players nor the staff want the event to last all night. I think a fair tie breaker, such as the number of remaining prizes like in the old days should be employed to discourage ties. AGain, while this won't solve all of the problems with best-of-three, it will help somewhat.

What are your opinions on the current tournament structure? Do you like or dislike it? Is there anything you would change if you could?

Been planning on writing something longer to express my full opinion on this matter for some time, but I'll keep it relatively short for now.

I disagree that there isn't a clear answer on which one is objectively better. The 50 minute time limit, combined with the tie system, is awful and bad for the game in a variety of ways. Without going into extreme detail on each and every reason why this is (some of which you mentioned above, but I could go on for pages if I wanted to discuss that here), the simple explanation is that it defies the purpose of a TCG. The point of a card game (or any turn-based game for that matter) is to allow both players to potentially make the best move possible each time they play, and to have time to think about what that play is. Contrast this with a game like Super Smash Bros., where the decisions you are forced to make happen in such a compressed time frame that it's basically impossible to not make a few incorrect moves here and there. The current time limit is so restrictive that it requires playing at a pace that doesn't leave enough room for thinking. Combine this with ties (which are a completely inaccurate way of measuring the possible outcome of an unfinished game--using prize count has its flaws, but its certainly better than this), which are almost as bad as a loss most of the time, and you have a ruined format that requires extremely fast play to succeed at all. Time limits need to be put in place to make sure tournaments run smoothly--they shouldn't have a serious affect on gameplay itself.

The most frustrating thing for me is that the main supporters of the current time limit seem to have one argument--that good players simply need to adapt to the time limit and it shouldn't be a problem if you're skilled at this game. For starters, this is an extremely elitist argument that ignores newer players, and second, that doesn't explain why the 50 minute time limit is any better than a longer one. It simply attempts to argue that the 50 minute time limit is manageable. And it might be for some, but for the rest of us, we'd all rather have the longer time limit (aka 30 minutes single game) and no one would be worse off.

tl;dr, go back to best of one and add more swiss rounds. That way, bad matchups play less of a role since you get to face a wider variety of decks, and the time limit problem is fixed. Best of three is a cool format--but not when tournaments don't have time for it.

To be honest, if we just had a way of breaking ties, I would be completely fine with Bo3. I feel like most games (although the release of Seismitoad might slow this down a bit) get done in 15-20 minutes, so most matches are in game 3 when time is called. Something like a prize count to determine a winner would drastically reduce the number of ties in any given round. As Blah said, it has its flaws, but it's certainly better than what we have now.

Best of 1 with an extra round of swiss wouldn't be awful, but I feel like due to the amount of luck in games today, it isn't the ideal situation. Anybody can juniper and hit the miracle "Muscle Band LaserBank DCE Catcher heads when I only had 1 of each left in my deck for the win," or draw into the unfortunate "I opened no supporters even though I play 17 and 3 bikes," but I don't feel like that accurately reflects the winner of the match. (Yes I exaggerated, but smaller things that are still really lucky happen all the time.) I feel like best of 3 with some kind of tie breaker system would be more ideal.

To me the best options:
BO1-30 minutes with more swiss rounds and no ties (prize rule).
BO3-60 minutes with less swiss rounds but ties.
BO3-75 minutes (Klaz. Open) with less swiss rounds and no ties (prize rule).

IMHO, BO1 is the best bet. More swiss rounds means less probability of failure to equal success in a tournament.
Daniel Altavilla placed 9th at worlds (sadly 1 short of top cut) this year with an impressive 6-1-2 record. He literally only lost 4 rounds (2 from his 1 loss round and 2 from each of his tie rounds) out of about 20-25 total rounds.
While the BO3 type of of tournaments listed above could give him extra time to finish those tied rounds, the BO1 type of tournament would have allowed for people with 1-2 losses to make top cut. I think most people would rather have another round/chance to make cut rather then a 10 minute time extension...no matter if you play fast or slow, you should be fine with time in 30 minutes.
Lastly, some people were talking about donks above. While recently I did get a T2 donk by a bad hand and a lone active pokemon at a recent LC, I can't recall too many games this season where I was legitimately donked (nor I donked someone else). Yes it happens, but with the sort-of-new rule on the limit of 1st turn attacks then donking should happen as often. BO3 or BO1 doesn't matter much for this situation. The odds of you coming back from a game 1 or 2 donk could be slim or could end in a tie.

Give 10 more minutes. Seriously. That would make the format soooo much better and wouldn't take too much longer. They didn't have problems with running tournaments insanely late in the past so why must they only allow us 50 minutes?

That being said, Bo3 is a huge step in the right direction imo. It is more skill based and also a lot more fun to me. Prized your G-Booster against a decent matchup? No prob, just win two games in a row, no sweat.

Personally I really like some of the things in the 50min. Best of 3 format, things like you can lose one match and still win the whole series. However I feel like 50 min. Is not enough to play 3 matches. I do like the fact that it tests the skill of the player as a whole, but I feel like there should be a way to resolve ties or the time limit should be extended maybe 10+ min. however doing this would cause big tournaments such as regionals to run alot longer.

I agree that even a 10 minute extension to 60 minutes would be a major improvement to best of three. I feel there is merit to the playing three games, despite the shortcomings of the current tournament structure. Often when pplaying in a tournament against friends, we will agree before the match starts that whoever has taken the most prizes in game three after time is called and the extra turns played out will win the match rather than sentencing the both of us to a tie. This is legal according to the tournament rules, so long as a randomizer (such as a coin flip) is not used to determine the outcome of the match.

On that note however, the 50 minute time limit encourages players to seek unofficial tie breakers, and I have seen player flip a coin to determine the outcome of a match that would otherwise tie. This actually happened a few tables down from me at Nationals, and a passing judge just happened to notice. Both players ended up getting disqualified as this is a Spirit of the Game issue. I do agree that random methods should not be used to decide a match, as one match's win or loss can potentially affect the resistance and future pairings of several other players, but a fair method of breaking ties should be employed.. I can't think of a better tiebreaker for Pokemon than prizes taken, and only if this is equal should the match be declared a tie. It's not ties thamselves that bother me, but rather how frequently they occur in large tournaments.

Back