Contest Text-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament: Round 4: Alternate Eras!

Discussion in 'Creative Works' started by NinjaPenguin, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NinjaPenguin Always standing out from the crowd.
    NinjaPenguin

There are 22 hours remaining to submit your card for this round! Get it in while you still can:
    @Blakers

2. Blakers Holder of the Holy Diamond!
    Blakers

Zigzagoon – Colorless – HP60
    Basic Pokémon

NO. 263 Tiny Raccoon Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 38.6 lbs.

Ability: Pickup
    Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your discard pile for a Pokémon Tool card and put it into your hand.

[C][C] Fling: 40 damage. Discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon. If this Pokémon has no Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
    Resistance: None
    Retreat: 1
    It walks in zigzag fashion. It is good at finding items in the grass and even in the ground.

3. Kangaflora Aspiring Trainer
    Kangaflora

Do we know who made it to the finals yet?

4. NinjaPenguin Always standing out from the crowd.
    NinjaPenguin

Round 3 Results

Match 1: FourteenAlmonds vs Nyora

Judges: @VioletValkyrie and @Lord o da rings

@FourteenAlmonds
    Sunkern [G] HP30
    Basic

NO. 191 Seed Pokémon HT: 1'00" WT: 4.0 lbs.

Ability: Popcorn
    Once during your turn (before your attack), if you have 4 Sunkern on your bench and your Active Pokémon is a [R] Pokémon, you may use this Ability. If you do, Knock Out all Benched Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponent’s). Your turn now ends. If both players would take their last Prize cards as a result of this Ability, your opponent wins this game.

[G] Sunny Day
    Search your deck for a [R] Pokémon and put it onto your bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness: [R] x2
    Resistance:
    Retreat: [C]
    It suddenly falls out of the sky in the morning. A year after a cold summer, their population explodes.
    Creativity: 18/20
    I think the ability is wonderful, however the attack is very plain and quite typical of a basic Grass Pokémon especially, with the only interesting feature being it searching for a Fire Pokémon when these cards would normally search for Grass Pokémon.

Wording: 11/15
    "bench" -> "Bench" x2 (Nest Ball SUM 123) -2 pt (1 pt ea)
    “Your turn now ends.” → “Your turn ends.” (Steven’s Resolve, CES 165) -1 pts
    "Shuffle your deck afterwards." -> "Then, shuffle your deck." (Several references, SUM wording change) -1 pt

Believability: 13/15
    I'm a little concerned about how powerful an ability with no restraint can be used to completely wipe the field, however I think it's well-balanced enough to where I'll give a similar opinion to some Pokemon I've judged in the past.
    I don't think this is something to dock points for, but what's the proper order for knocking out Pokémon? It's awkward to have it all be done at the exact same time (which is how this is currently worded), I'd think that saying that your Benched Pokémon are Knocked Out, and then your opponent's Pokémon are Knocked Out would remove the clause at the end of the ability. However at the end of it all, I don't think it's something important to dock points for. If anything it was just a thought I had judging.

-2 pts for edit penalty.

Final Score: 40/50
    Creativity: (17/20)
    God Popcorn is insane. I’m fascinated with it. The level of mayhem that goes down if those Sunkern light up is absolutely unreal, the game gets completely blown up. I’ve never seen anything like it. And nice touch with the ability name!

Wording: (10.5/15)
    "bench" → "Bench" x2 [-1.5 points]
    “Your turn now ends.” → “Your turn ends.” (Steven’s Resolve, CES 165) [-1 point]
    “Shuffle your deck afterwards.” → “Then, shuffle your deck.” -- this is pre-SM wording [-2 points]

Believability: (14/15)
    Balance wise? This card seems great. Popcorn is insane and I would be a bit stunned to see something like it printed… but all 4 Sunkern need to be on the Bench, and despite the ability being absolutely nuts it’s still overall pretty fair, and you have to be using it well to make advantage of it. It completely reshapes the game state, but whether or not that’s good or bad completely depends on how you use it. Sunny Day is pretty standard, would absolutely be printed.

Final Thoughts: Effects-wise this is a beautifully made card that stands out from the moment you see it with the outrageous ‘Popcorn’ ability. Wording wise I think the mistakes you made were very simple fixes, so those shouldn’t be too rough for the future. Overall this was a fantastic card, you should be proud of yourself!
    -2 For Editing
    Final Score: 39.5/50

@Nyora
    Phantump HP 50 Psychic
    Basic Pokémon
    NO. 708 Stump Pokémon HT: 1'04" WT: 15.4 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Found a Friend
    If this Pokémon is in your deck whenever you are playing a Supporter card that looks through your deck during your turn, you may reveal it and put it into your hand. You can't use more than 1 Found a Friend Ability each turn.

[C] Spiritual Summoning
    Shuffle a Supporter card from your discard pile into your deck. Reveal the card you draw at the beginning of your turn. If that card is the Supporter card you shuffled into your deck, search your deck for Trevenant and put it onto your Bench, and attach up to 2 Energy cards from your hand to it. Then, shuffle your deck.

By imitating the voice of a child, it causes people to get hopelessly lost deep in the forest. It’s trying to make friends with them.

Weakness: Fire x2
    Creativity: 20/20
    If there's one thing I can say I love about this card it's the sheer creativity and how interesting the effects are. Searching your deck for a Pokemon through a Supporter is a really cool idea, and a really specifically luck-based attack definitely made me interested reading it the whole way through. I'm not hesitant about giving Creativity a 20, which is something I've never done before.

Wording: 8/15
    "If this Pokémon is in your deck whenever you are playing a Supporter card that looks through your deck during your turn, you may reveal it and put it into your hand." -> "Whenever you search your deck with the effect of a Supporter card, if this Pokémon is in your deck, you may reveal it and put it into your hand." (The supporter card is not what looks through your deck, you are, using the effect of the card. The proper wording would be "Whenever you search your deck with the effect of a Supporter card", Sabrina's Suggestion TEU 154) -3 pts
    "Reveal the card you draw at the beginning of your turn." -> "Reveal the card you draw at the beginning of your next turn." (The occurence on the NEXT turn must be stated as from the current wording it can be assumed the effect means the current turn, which can't happen.) -2 pts
    "If that card is the Supporter card you shuffled into your deck, search your deck for Trevenant and put it onto your Bench, and attach up to 2 Energy cards from your hand to it." -> "If that card is the Supporter card you shuffled into your deck, search your deck for Trevenant, put it onto your Bench, and attach up to 2 Energy cards from your hand to it." (List of events, the first "and" is replaced with a comma) -1 pt

Believability: 10/15
    A specific issue I have with the attack that can't be overlooked for me is the specification that the Supporter card has to be the exact Supporter card you shuffled back into your deck, which is nearly impossible to tell if you ever play more than 1 copy of the same card. Unfortuntely, this would've been fixed with a small wording change to specify a Supporter card with the same name (See Repeat Ball PRC 136, Grumpig CES 60 for similar wordings). This could be included in Wording, however from what I've put in there already and the fact that this is a really big issue for Believability, since we're considering the rules of the game here.
    While I'm not sure a clause for this is necessary and I'd think you couldn't use the ability if this is the case, but what happens when you have no Supporter cards in your discard pile? -0 pts

Final Score: 39/50
    Creativity: (18/20)
    This card is absolutely BRIMMING with creative juices. ‘Found a Friend’ is a completely unique effect, and I love the name you came up with for it! ‘Spiritual Summoning’ is equally well-named and equally creative. Process wise your ideas are truly new and exciting! Keep it up!

Wording: (10/15)
    “If this Pokémon is in your deck whenever you are playing a Supporter card that looks through your deck during your turn” → "Whenever you play a Supporter card that looks through your deck during your turn, if this Pokémon is in your deck" -- rearrange out of order clauses, “are playing” → “play” [-2 points]
    "Reveal the card you draw at the beginning of your turn." -- you need to specify that this is the beginning of your next turn [-2 points]
    "search your deck for Trevenant and put it onto your Bench" -- replace “and” with a comma since this is a list [-1 point]

Believability: (12/15)
    ‘Found a Friend’ just easily gets this Pokémon available, which is fine. ‘Spiritual Summoning’ gets very interesting, but it has a believability issue that really bothers me, and that’s counting on the card being the exact same one as opposed to one of the same name. There’s really not a way for the game to keep track of that and make sure it’s the same card if you have multiple cards with that name in your deck.

Final Thoughts: Conceptually, this card is brown cow stunning Nyora! But you went for some really creative and experimental effects, naturally when the concepts get difficult points will be lost due to wording getting more difficult. There were a couple conceptual errors as well, but overall this was still a great submission, incredible job!
    Final Score: 40/50

Match 2: Vom vs Blakers

Judges: @Vracken and @NinjaPenguin

@Vom
    [Stage 1] Duosion HP90 [P]
    Evolves from Solosis
    [​IMG]
    NO. 578 Mitosis Pokémon HT: 2'00'' WT: 17.6 lbs.
    Ability: Mitochondria Are the Powerhouse of the Cell
    Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may use this Ability. During this turn, your Evolution Pokémon may attack twice in a row. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.) If you do, this Pokémon is Knocked Out.

[P][P][P] Memory of an Adversary
    If a Pokémon in your opponent's discard pile has the same name as your opponent's Active Pokémon, both Active Pokémon are Knocked Out.

Weakness: [P]x2
    Resistance: -
    Retreat: [C]
    When their brains, now divided in two, are thinking the same thoughts, these Pokémon exhibit their maximum power.
    Wording
    -1 Mitochondria Are the Powerhouse of the Cell should be worded “... your Evolution Pokémon may attack twice”
    -0.5 “If a Pokémon in your opponent's discard pile has the same name as your opponent's Active Pokémon, both Active Pokémon are Knocked Out.” should be “If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has the same name as a Pokémon in your opponent’s discard pile, both Active Pokemon are Knocked Out” - I personally am not sure about the exact correct wording on this one. I don’t believe that your wording is correct, but there isn’t precedence for exact wording on this one, so I went with what makes sense for me from a logic argument standpoint.
    13.5/15
    ---
    Creativity/Originality
    Interesting card for sure, I love the flavour of the dual brained monster granting 2 of something. The effect, while not wholly unique is still something new, certainly a new spin on something that already existed. The Attack is similar in that not a completely brand new effect, but a strong spin on something that already exists, and I love the interplay with your opponents having to play around the effects. Shame that attack is held back by the cost. The ability name is weird to me, I get you are playing at cells, but nothing about Duosion is specifically to do with the mitochondria. Memory however plays a little more into the brain theme, which is good to see.
    17/20
    ---
    Believability/Playability
    I always look for where people push things like Hp. I personally hate powercreep, it is a problem that any long lived game that adds new things, or expansions. Unfortunately, this card hits it big time with a 50% increase to Hp over every other Duosion before it. It is weird, because when I checked, I thought it would be maybe 70-80 for normal, so I don’t know if Duosion is just cursed to be a low Hp stage 1, but they are, and for that reason, points are lost pushing it here by that much.
    Dual attack effects have been limited for a while now, and most of them were put on pretty weak Pokemon for balance reasons, or Pokemon that had some kind of non-offensive attack that could either allow them to use an offensive attack, or get some kind of value. Allowing evolved Pokemon two attacks is an incredibly powerful effect that has the potential to run away with games, even at the cost of a prize card. So it is a major concern for balance. Memory of an Adversary is a pretty powerful effect but the hard cost and the restriction should be enough of a balance point.
    11/15
    ---
    Vracken Notes for Next Time
    Couple of minor hiccups, wording is a little bit of a tough one since some things don’t have precedence. All around, cool effects, nice flavour, power is a little top heavy in my opinion, but I don’t hate that, just something to be wary of.

Final Score: 41.5/50
    Creativity: 18/20
    Mitochondria Are the Powerhouse of the Cell is a really nice way to use a double attacking effect which can apply to anything while still having a drawback that forces you to make a calculated decision about using it. Memory of an Adversary also has a very smart way to incorporate an instant KO effect with it being both highly unique and preventable by your opponent at the cost of forcing them to play in a certain discard-averse way. Great job!

Wording: 14/15
    Mitochondria Are the Powerhouse of the Cell:
    -Delete “in a row” [-1 Point]

Believability: 9/15
    This card would be perfectly balanced as is if it was a Reuniclus, but as a NFE Stage 1, this is too strong. Mitochondria Are the Powerhouse of the Cell can allow you to do much more than one prize worth of damage and only pay the cost of one Stage 1, which is too powerful for an NFE. More importantly, though, Memory of an Adversary can get three prizes and for the price of only one with Tag Teams, which is way too strong for an NFE even with the three energy cost. Also, even with the power creep, the HP is still a bit too high.

Final Score: 41/50
    I really loved the ideas you worked with here and your attention to detail in wording, Vom! My one complaint is that it didn’t feel like you really took this theme to heart, and your card was built and balanced as though it was fully evolved, which meant that you paid the price in terms of believability here.

@Blakers
    Zigzagoon – Colorless – HP60
    Basic Pokémon
    [​IMG]
    NO. 263 Tiny Raccoon Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 38.6 lbs.

Ability: Pickup
    Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your discard pile for a Pokémon Tool card and put it into your hand.

[C][C] Fling: 40 damage. Discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon. If this Pokémon has no Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
    It walks in zigzag fashion. It is good at finding items in the grass and even in the ground.
    Wording
    -1 Pickup should be worded “Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put a Pokémon Tool card from your discard pile into your hand.”
    -3 “Discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon. If this Pokémon has no Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this attack does nothing.” would cause the discard to occur, then the attack, having no Pokémon Tools, would fail.
    Instead the wording should be “Discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon. If you don't, this attack does nothing”
    11/15
    ---
    Creativity/Originality
    I like the concept behind the synergy of the ability and attack, however, the ability also completely defeats the purpose of the downside on Fling. Fling however, is not a particularly powerful attack, so there is honestly some kinda weirdness in there. Otherwise the card feels very standard, not much exciting going on, names are very stock standard, though are at least flavourful to the origins of those names. Tool specific is something unique, and I like the idea behind the synergy, but it feels like it was done without an understanding for why effects like both of those exist.
    11/20
    ---
    Believability/Playability
    I am slightly concerned for the powerlevel of being able to return an item card every turn for free from your discard. It is balanced slightly by the Tool only restriction, but typically return effects are either 1-shot, or on attack.
    13/15
    ---
    Vracken Notes for Next Time
    To be honest, this card feels a little phoned in. Small basics are really hard to make interesting designs for, so when you choose this over a middle evolution Pokémon, you are restricting yourself quite severely. I would like to see a more inspired design when attempting another small basic like this. While the space is limited, there are a few cool and interesting ideas that people can go for. I am glad you tried something a little different, but it just misses the mark.

Final Score: 35/50
    Creativity: 12/20
    Pickup and Fling have a nice simple synergy going on, while Pickup is still useful outside of the context of just this card. Fling is also a good way of making the effect work in the TCG, but the fact is both of these effects are only small modifications of what’s been seen in the past, which hurts this card a lot.

Wording: 12/15
    Pickup:
    -The wording format you’re using for this effect hasn’t been used since Gen 4. Instead, simplify the ending to “you may put a Pokémon Tool card from your discard pile into your hand.” [-2 Points]

Fling:
    -As is, the effect would mean that unless Zigzagoon somehow had two tools attached to it, you couldn’t use the card, since the effects apply in the order they appear. To fix this, replace “If this Pokémon has no Pokémon Tool cards attached to it” with “If you don’t”. [-1 Point]

Believability: 15/15
    The support for recycling tool cards isn’t enough to be overpowering generally, with the advantages and combos weighed down enough by the fact you need to take up bench space with a vulnerable 60 HP Basic to gain them. The attack being near guaranteed to hit that 40 damage is a bit worrying on a tiny basic, but within the realm of believability.

Final Score: 39/50
    The card is well done in the technical aspects of wording and believability, but I feel like you left uniqueness and creativity in the process. Just because it’s not fully evolved doesn’t mean it needs to be simple, and I feel like you could have done a lot more with this card to make it stand out as something truly new.

Which means the contestants advancing are:
    Match 1:
    FourteenAlmonds, whose Superb Sunkern scored an total of 79.5/100 points!
    Match 2:
    Vom, whose Dynamic Duosion scored at total of 82.5/100 points!

Sorry, Nyora and Blakers, but with scores of 79/100 points and 74/100 points in your respective matches, that means that you have been eliminated.

Congratulations to those who advanced!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. NinjaPenguin Always standing out from the crowd.
    NinjaPenguin

Round 4
    The theme for the final round is Alternate Eras! To become a champion, you need to be able to adapt and show your skill in a variety of formats. For this final round, you'll have to leave your comfort zone and fake outside of an era you've already faked in for this tournament. Since both of you have only faked in the Sun and Moon era, that means that you must cannot fake in that era (or the Black and White/XY eras, since their wording system is mostly the same as SuMo's). Aside from that, there's absolutely no restrictions on the Pokémon you choose or card you create. As always, be creative!

The final matchup is:
    @FourteenAlmonds vs @Vom

Here's the link to the updated bracket.

You have just under two weeks, or until Sunday, April 28th, at 12:00 PM EST to submit your cards for this round. Good luck! :D

Vom likes this.
  6. Lord Goomy Got Goomies?
    Lord Goomy

Good luck everyone!

FourteenAlmonds and Vom like this.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?