• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Teenage Witch (Gym Leader Sabrina) (Unlimited)

Shinigami

Pokemon Loremaster
4-3-2 Sabrina's Gengar
4 Sabrina's Porygon
4 Sabrina's Jynx
4-3 Sabrina's Hypno

Pokemon ~ 24

x4 Sabrina's Gaze
x3 Saffron City Gym
x3 Professor Elm
x3 Mary
x2 Bill's Maintenance
x2 Forest Guardian
x1 Sabrina

Total T/S/S ~ 18

x18 Psychic Energy

Total Energy ~ 18

Total Cards ~ 60

Strategy: Early game aggression with Ghastly and Jynx, using Ghastly's Gaseous Form Power to increase his (its?) staying power through high energy allocation and keeping the opponent (hopefully) locked down with Jynx's Good Night/Good Morning switch, as well as supporting with Porygon on offense and Drowzee as an Energy vacuum. Mid- to late-game control with Hypno as a finisher and reanimation engine, while utilizing Haunter as a long-range damage dealer and Gengar as a damage sweeper. I maintain the control aspect of the deck with Sabrina's Gaze, while using most everything else to regularly rotate the top of the deck and potentially set myself up for quick evolutions. The single Sabrina is there for a potentially massive Ghastly wall, while Saffron City allows me to return extra energy to my hand once a large Ghastly evolves.

Issues: I built this mostly to understand the mechanics of the TCG, but I liked it so much, I thought I might get a little advice on what to do with it. I'd like to take it to League, even though my roommate tells me that 1) the Gym Leader decks were characterized by a lack of any real power, and 2) Sabrina is arguably the worst Leader to build with, mostly due to her lack of options. I can see that there's a shortage of damage, and that would be something I'd like to fix, if possible. There may also be a bit too MUCH draw in the deck (Is that even possible?)

Any ideas are welcomed!

RE: Teenage Witch (Gym Leader Sabrina)

Just a begginer's tip: Pyramid evo lines are a bad idea. 4-3-2 would go better as 4-4-4, or even 4-3-4 or 4-2-4 if you've got breeders/rare candies.

What kind of cards are you playing with? Completely unlimited, pre-neo, pre-EX, just gym cards..?

Well, the line was recommended by my roommate, who has been playing for quite a while and had a hand in some major tournament decks. So far in the testing, it hasn't really hindered me all that much. I originally tried out a 4-4-3 line, but I had problems finding enough basic Pokemon to keep the bench running. Plus, with all of the draw and shuffling of the deck, I find things fairly quickly.

It's an Unlimited deck, and from my understanding of what she (my roommate) said, as long as all my Pokemon have my chosen Gym Leader's name in the title, I can use whatever Trainers I want to.

Unlimited means you can play with anything, so go get yourself some rare candies and bebe's searches.

If you want to take it to a league, ask if people will allow metagaming with unlimited decks. Where I play, people enforce MD-on decks so I can't really play with anything.

Pyramid evo lines are outdated, actually. Most people run with an even evo line. Myself, I run with 3-2-3 Meganium Prime. Two Bayleefs because I've got Rare Candies. Also I have 2-2 Blissey Prime, so every Chansey has the chance to evolve.

Your deck doesn't need to have Sabrina's pokemon. In fact, if there is a pokemon you need to run your deck, add it. The most important thing here is to find a combo between two or more cards, and play using it. If you want to focus on a Sabrina's pokemon, lemme search a combo you might like.

EDIT: What Sabrina's Gengar do you run?

Lv. 39, with Pain Amplifier and Call of the Night. That's why I also run the Hypno, so I can reanimate one of their basic Pokemon and then Pain Amplify damage counters across their board.

I've been thinking about what you said, and if I do decide to go with an even line, it's going to end up being 4-4-3, since I can only get hold of three Gengars. I'm still not sold on the idea, since all the deck shuffling I have tends to set the deck up pretty well. I'll take it to League next week and see how it does, and then really think about changes.

Also, since I am somewhat new, I'm not too sure on the rules for Gym Leader Pokemon. I'm looking into it, though.

It's not just an idea I suddenly thought of, go check other people's decks so you can see what I'm talking about. If you can just afford three Gengars, it's fine, make your line a 3-3-3 or 3-2-3 (depending on your cards) and use the spare slots for something else.

That said, the only rule you must remember about the gym leaders are that a trainer's pokemon is not the same as the pokemon itself. For example, Sabrina's Haunter cannot evolve into Gengar (since Gengar says "Evolve from Haunter", not "Evolve from Sabrina's Haunter"), and a Haunter cannot evolve into Sabrina's Gengar (since it says "Evolve from Sabrina's Haunter"). You can have four Gastlys and four Sabrina's Gastly, they are entirely different.

Well, I did some looking around, and I made a few drastic changes to the deck. It looks nothing like it did before. Here's the updated list:

4-3-3 Sabrina's Gengar
3-3-2 Alakazam
3-2 Espeon
1 Mew

Total Pokemon: 24

1 Seer
2 Oracle
2 Forest Guardian
2 Phoebe's Stadium
3 Mary
4 Professer Elm
4 Bill's Adjustments

Total T/S/S: 18

18 Psychic Energy

Total Energy: 18

The Sabrina line is her Lv. 10 Ghastly, her Lv. 29 Haunter, and I've added a Lv. 42 Gengar to the two Lv. 39s. I'm actually using the base set Kadabra and Alakazam with the Skyridge Abra. The Eevees are the WOTC Black Star promo with the Chain Reaction Pokemon Power, and the Neo Discovery Espeon. The Mew is a WOTC Black Star promo. The Trainer and Supporter cards now focus on shuffling my deck constantly to dig for what I need, while Phoebe's Stadium is there to make the retreat costs much cheaper for me.

-1 Sabrina's Gastly (it will not evolve into Gengar anyways)
+1 Alakazam (to make an even evo line, and to fill the space left by gastly)

There are two Neo Discovery Espeons. Which one is it? And with Bill's Adjustments, do you mean Bill's Maintenance or Engineer's Adjustments?

-1 Mew (you don't really need it, I don't see the purpose of it in your deck)

I would suggest that you combo all of this with something else. There is a Team Magma's Claydol that deals 50 damage, and 10 to each of your opponent's benched pokemon with damage counters on them. Or Feraligatr Prime that deals 60 damage plus 10 for each damage counter on your opponent. I cannot think of other cards, but since you will be manipulating your opponent's damage counters, you should make an use of that.

-1 Seer
+2 Interviewer's Questions (similar but better effect, instead of looking 6 cards, Interviewer's lets you look at 8 cards)

-2 Oracle
+2 Twins (If you have more prizes left than your opponent, search for any 2 cards from your deck and put them in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.)

-4 Professor Elm
+4 Professor Oak's New Theory (it's a supporter so if you want to keep using trainers, you could use this card instead)

Given that your deck uses evolutions, rare candies are a must, so

-1 Kadabra
-1 Sabrina's Haunter
+2 Rare Candy

The Espeon is the Lv. 45, with Bite and Psychic.

Mew is really in there because I couldn't think of another card to put in, so he acts more as a deck filler.

I can get a hold of two Pokemon Breeder. Is that a decent substitute for Rare Candy?

We do have plenty of Twins and Interviewer's Questions. And I meant Bill's Maintenance. We just started picking up HS unleashed, so our pool of newer cards is somewhat limited. I'll look into getting hold of the cards you mentioned.

Yes, pretty much, but make sure to get the rare candies anyways (they come without the "You can only play this card when you would be allowed to evolve that Pokémon anyway" restriction, and you can evolve to stage 1).

And, try to avoid deck fillers. They fill in space that other awesome cards would use.

Rare Candies are very high on our trade list.

I've been thinking of switching Espeon out for the new HS version, with Solar Suggestion. It seems like a nice way to both weaken my opponent and heal my own pokemon in the process. Thoughts on that?

Thanks so much for all the help. It's difficult getting good ideas when you only have one person to bounce them off of regularly. I've been looking into some of the Electric pokemon that deal damage to benched Pokemon, but they all seem to take a little while to get off the ground, and all of them require at least double lightning. So far, the only one that seems to be worth running is a version of Raichu.

I take it, you want a sniping+damage control deck. You might also want to check Dark Espeon (Neo Destiny): Its Psysplash uses PCC and "Does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Energy card attached to that Pokémon. Don't apply Weakness and Resistance".

Gengar Lv.44 (AR) has Curse as its poke-power (same as Fossil's) and with PPC it deals 60 and "Does 10 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) You may switch Gengar with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.", while Gengar Lv.46 (AR), with PC, deals no damage and "Choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. This attack does 40 damage to that Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)". With PCC it deals 60 and poisons the opponent.

To make your deck more devastating, use Gengar Prime.
Poké-Body: Catastrophe - "As long as Gengar is your Active Pokémon, if any of your opponent's Pokémon would be Knocked Out, put that Pokémon in the Lost Zone instead of discarding. (Discard all cards attached to that Pokémon.) "
P: Hurl Into Darkness - "Look at your opponent's hand and choose a number of Pokémon you find there up to the number of P Energy attached to Gengar. Put the Pokémon you chose into the Lost Zone. " (Lost Zone is an out-of-game zone where cards cannot be retrieved from)
PC: Cursed Drop - "Put 4 damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like."

Also, SF Gengar:
Poké-Power: Fainting Spell - "Once during your opponent's turn, if Gengar would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, you may flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out."
P: Shadow Room - "Put 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. If that Pokémon has any Poké-Powers, put 6 damage counters on that Pokémon instead."
PC: Poltergeist - 30x - "Look at your opponent's hand. This attack does 30 damage times the number of Trainer, Supporter and Stadium cards in your opponent's hand."

There are some ideas you might want to try :p

Wow! I'll definitely look into those Gengars. Would you recommend using the new Ghastly and Haunter from HS in that case? I'm a little concerned about getting Gengar Prime, though. I've been looking around, and it seems that he'll take a big price jump if they decide to release Lost World.

And yes, I do want a sort of damage-snipe control deck. I also had the idea of using Fossil Slowbro with HS Undaunted Espeon and the Alakazam I already have to shove my damage counters on my opponent's Pokemon. Good idea?

I don't know, it seems like a good idea on paper but you gotta test it, too.

Maybe you should get those cards, it might help you on the setup...

Seeing as Slowbro and base Alakazam do the same thing there'd be be no point in playing both. An interesting combo with Base Alakazam is to use its power to move damage counters to base Chancey (it has 120HP so it can take alot of damage) Then use Scoop Up and/or pokemon center to heal Chancey. Think of it as a super healing combo. Though seeing as you want to manipulate damage on your opponents field there are quite a few routes to take. Idealy you want to find a pokemon(s) that can spread damage quickly. Gengar AR + Gengar lvX would seem good or any other Gengar that could spread.

i'll have to get back to you on this one.

In that case, I'd use a Wailord (way more HP) and also add some Blissey primes, or maybe some LEGEND. Just any basic pokemon with a ridiculous HP amount (I said Wailord since they have 160HP at the very least, and Wailord ex has 200 HP)

Back