• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Teenage Mutant Ninja Toads (Seismitoad EX / Greninja)

Duane Fouche

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 13
  • 4 Seismitoad-EX
  • 3 Froakie (XY)
  • 3 Frogadier (XY)
  • 3 Greninja (XY 41)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 3 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Dive ball
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 4 N
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump Card
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 10
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 6 Water Energy

Strategy:
The first thing you will undoubtedly notice is that there is no Hypnotoxic lasers or Virbank City Gym's in this list. Space is tight here, and I just couldn't fit them in, and we have alternate ways of increasing damage.
-UPDATE. Lasers added.

This deck aims to use Greninja's Water Shuriken ability to increase the damage output of Seismitoad EX to reasonable levels instead of using the Hypnotixic / Virbank combo that many have been running recently. This has it's own advantages in that the Shurikens can hit the bench for easy kills on annoying pokemon and works against Virizion-Ex - whereas the lasers cannot. It also has it's obvious downsides, being stage 2 reliant it will be slow (don't expect a turn 2 knockout with this).
-UPDATE. Now has both water shuriken and the lasers!

To do this we need 2 things: Plenty of Water energies, and a way to reuse them.
I've decided the best way to accomplish this would be by recycling them with Superior energy retrieval. A professors letter can search when we need them, and the rest we should discard naturally through Juniper.

In order to buy us enough time to set up we run a large array of disruption in a full set of crushing hammers, enhanced hammers, and a startling megaphone to disable Garbotoxin as it does hurt us substantially. The deck can search for answers very easily due to the supporters, and the combination of VS seeker and Skyla let you re-use the ones you need the most. The Lysandre's Trump card ensures we do not deck out in long games and let's us continue to bring the hammers (unless it's prized... that would suck).

You are playing a game of attrition, by disrupting your opponent and getting rid of their energies they will start to slow down considerably while your damage output grows, once set up fully you can knock out EX's in a single hit (or more like: A barrage of ninja shuriken made out of compressed water, followed by a Psychic toxic laser beam, and a punch that causes earthquakes. That would kill anything to be perfectly honest). Once you start getting low on disruption just cast a Lysandre's Trump card to shuffle everything back in and do it all over again from the next turn. VS seeker can get back the trump card so you can do this as many times as needed until your opponent eventually succumbs to exhaustion, just pay attention at all times to how many seekers you have left in the deck.

I'd like any comments on how you think the deck can be improved, or if it's competitive at all for that matter. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
So why exactly are you running Ultra Balls over Dive Balls? If you've energy in your hand you want to use them for Water Shuriken, not throw them away just that Retrieval can get them back.

Some suggestions that immediately come to mind:

1) That 4-4-4 Greninja line is a bit much. I'd cut it down to 3-1-3 and run Rare Candy.
2) Drop the Ultra Balls and just run 3/4 Dive Balls
3) Replace Silver Bangle with Muscle Band. Seismitoad can't use Silver Bangle.
4) I've never felt it necessary to run more than 1 Enhanced Hammer with 4 Crushing Hammers and Trump Card, but that's best left to your discretion.

I think you can fit those Lasers in. I don't really see why you're trying to be over reliant with those Energy Retrievals, however. You need the energy in your hand to actually use the energy, so why waste resources to get them into your discard? You also have no need to discard them with Ultra Ball, for the same reason. You'll end up discarding a far amount with Juniper.

I also think damage > disruption in your case. I'm not even sure if you should run disruption - you don't ever need to stall! You should set up like a normal Toad deck - Quaking Punch turn 1. From what it sounded like in the previous thread, you were thinking of this strategy would work well against mirror matches against other Toad variants. If you rely too much on your items, you are going to get more clunked up than you would need.

-3 Ultra Ball (Dive Ball is much better in this deck due to not needing to discard)
-2 Silver Bangle (Toad can't use it)
-2 Enhanced Hammer (Open up some space)
-1 Crushing Hammer (Open up some space)
-2 Battle Compressor (Not really worth it, especially since taking these will open up LaserBank)
-1 Superior Energy Retrieval (As long as you don't go on a discarding spree, you shouldn't need three energy retrievals in a game - you should only need to use this twice at the most.)
-1-1-1 Greninja (You won't need that many Greninja, like ever)
-1 Lysandre (I'm not sure if you need 2, and I think another card would best fulfil this space)

+4 Muscle Band (Important damage output, and you need a full set for consistency)
+3 Dive Ball (Consistency)
+3 Virbank City Gym (Damage output max)
+4 Hypnotoxic Laser (Damage output max)
+1 N (Consistency

Did not realize toad couldn't use Silver bangle. My bad.
Was just looking for an extra 10 damage to reach that 180 mark so didn't read fully, will replace asap.

I do like the heavy discard strategy though, I think the ability to search for any supporter by using a battle compressor and VS seeker while simultaneously getting water energies is just really good.
Pooka (from the Top cut) ran a Toad variant similarly heavy in disruption, he emptied his hand very quickly, and a few turns later shuffled everything back and started over. The energy retrievals, VS seekers and other came from a blastoise deck he had on 'bad deck monday' ...
...Just ignore that part.
It should be fast against most normal decks, but I do agree it is weaker to the mirror so I'll adjust.

Are you sure that with only 6 water energies in the deck I can reliably get enough into my hand to use multiple Shurikens a turn?
I mean, it's your better judgement so I guess I can run with it.
I do want at least 1 enhanced hammer though, I've seen toad get wrecked by Genesect and the enhanced hammer can work well due to the plasma energies.
I've seen a few toad decks get away with only 2 Virbanks as well, and I think this one should be ok with that number so I'll go down slightly on that to keep an enhanced hammer.

So for now I'll go with this:
-3 Ultra Ball
-2 Silver Bangle (My bad)
-1 Enhanced Hammer
-1 Crushing hammer
-2 Battle Compressor
-1 Superior Energy Retrieval
-1-1-1 Greninja
-1 Lysandre

+4 Muscle Band
+3 Dive Ball
+2 Virbank City Gym
+4 Hypnotoxic Laser
+1 N

I'll update the deck list to match.

Last edited:
The best call of action would be to try vsing both mirrors and other decks using a more disruption based, a more damage based and discarding versions of this deck.

OK.
...Will do as soon as I have at least 1 card on that list.
(Yeah, I like brewing decks. Doesn't necessarily mean I have the cards on hand - but I usually do aim to create them in the long run.)

Otherwise, if someone had the cards and would be willing to test it I would be grateful.

Try TCG One. That's the best place to test stuff. I'm on there frequently so maybe I'll even test with you sometime!

Back